PB Longtail on fly

Ben Hall

I think I've let the bite cool down long enough since I caught this fish last year, I would of liked to submit it for a fishraider record but don't have a photo on scales.

This fish tipped the scales down to 20kg caught on my Sage Salt HD 10wt fishing with 24lb tippet on a surf candy fly I tied myself. Amazing to think such a big fish would be interested in such a small offering.

Fishing solo out of my boat it took about an 1 hour and 15min to subdue, thankfully I had a mate out fishing aswell who jumped in my boat after capture to take the photo for me.

It was the hardest fight I've endured and struggled to hold the fish for the photo with my arms feeling like jelly.

received_831328455046606.thumb.jpeg.db99ab2c0f0dc2820a361e34d6f0beab.jpeg

20230805_115020.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, big Neil said:

An amazing result Ben, full credit to you for your tenacity. Shame you weren't able to measure it for entry as a record species, but catching it would have been such a buzz.

Did you release it or take it home?

bn

Yeah I took it home, love to eat LT steaks and sushi. It was pretty much done after such a long fight aswell, I was done too.

Thanks Big Neil

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice one Ben. Elephants eat peanuts as they say.

Been doing more fly fishing this year but starting to realise I need to really work on my casting skills. So a lot of casting in the park. It’s good fun when you’re in the mood for it.

Thanks mate.

I know we've spoke about casting before but there's a heap dates been set for cast tuition which will be run in Sydney through winter, I know some have already been run with some dates still to come. The guys running it are expert casters and instructors. Just need to look up Peter Morse or Justin Duggun.

You will learn more in one day with them then in a lifetime trying to teach yourself.

Good day to boot, I've done quite a few days with Morsie, even organised casting days for my local fly fishing club.

Just now, Ben Hall said:

Thanks mate.

I know we've spoke about casting before but there's a heap dates been set for cast tuition which will be run in Sydney through winter, I know some have already been run with some dates still to come. The guys running it are expert casters and instructors. Just need to look up Peter Morse or Justin Duggun.

You will learn more in one day with them then in a lifetime trying to teach yourself.

Good day to boot, I've done quite a few days with Morsie, even organised casting days for my local fly fishing club.

I am booked in for one of these workshops😎 

I now know the folly of teaching oneself! This time though, I’m taking a note book and will be following up with plenty of practice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

I am booked in for one of these workshops😎 

I now know the folly of teaching oneself! This time though, I’m taking a note book and will be following up with plenty of practice.

Awesome mate, it will take your fly fishing to another level. Once you know the mechanics and how to self assess, you can go fishing and when it's not going right just remember what causes the tailing loop or your leader to land in a pile or adjust to fishing in the wind with the various casts that work.

I don't know Justin but know Morsie good.

I'm glad to hear your booked in, and keen to hear your thoughts afterwards.

Have a good time to.