Tiger trout in the blue mountains

Hey fellow anglers,

it’s recently come to my attention that tiger trout are now being stocked in lake Lyell. Wanted to drop a line and see if anyone has advice on where to find them in the streams and rivers, particularly with how dry this seasons been. 

On a seperate note- I fished Turon gates a feet weeks ago, really low water levels and only carp to be found. I’m headed to the jenolan this weekend, hopefully some better luck there.

Thanks, Duane 

• Like 1

There is really no way to target tigers over other trout species. I caught a small one at Thompsons Creek Dam a few months back, and they are also stocked in lake wallace (I've seen a few caught out of there). They first stocked them in Wallace around 3 years ago so the fish would be well over 30cm by now.

The only river you'll find them in is the Cox's below Wallace and Lyell. I haven't fished the Cox's in a year so I don't have any current info on how it's fishing. My standard advice with the Cox's though is be prepared to hike to have success... all easy access points are over fished.

Note that it is now closed season for rivers and streams, so you'll have to wait until October to have a crack.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, FishingforFishies said:

On your separate note, I'll also be hitting the Jenolan in the coming weeks. Will you be entering from Dunphys? Please provide an update on how you go!

I’ve never entered via dumphys and the cox but that does look like a nice section of river. Has it produced well for you? 

I’ll be sure to let you know how I go!

On 6/29/2024 at 4:04 PM, R E G I C Y C L E said:

There is really no way to target tigers over other trout species. I caught a small one at Thompsons Creek Dam a few months back, and they are also stocked in lake wallace (I've seen a few caught out of there). They first stocked them in Wallace around 3 years ago so the fish would be well over 30cm by now.

The only river you'll find them in is the Cox's below Wallace and Lyell. I haven't fished the Cox's in a year so I don't have any current info on how it's fishing. My standard advice with the Cox's though is be prepared to hike to have success... all easy access points are over fished.

Note that it is now closed season for rivers and streams, so you'll have to wait until October to have a crack.

Thanks very much! I’ll be sure to try the cox next season! 

I think a lot of the creeks and rivers in the Blue Mountains "wilderness" area are not longer considered trout streams and are open for fishing all year. From memory the very upper part of the Jenolan River is still a no fishing zone. If anyone ventures into the Jenolan, Kowmung rivers or Kanangra/Christy's Creek I'd love to know how the fishing is.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@FishingforFishies

@Ganguddy Goodoo
My entry point was through the state forest which is actually closed by the forestry corporation at the moment, presumably for logging, so I didn’t end up making it. Let me know how you go. 

This has really been my off season spot. I’ve tried the Kowmung more times than a normal person should, but coming from both yerranderie and Kanangra walls it is an extremely long and overgrown walk and I’ve never caught anything other than a carp. 

Does anyone have other streams, rivers and creeks they could suggest in the offseason? Not after your specific spots and entry points just general info. Thanks 

Edited by Duaney
Add a tag