Trout Fishing so far this season.

Centrepin

Fishing this year has been limited to the central western streams, weather in the Snowies has been extreme.

The rivers are in great condition and the trout have come back in great strides from the Millennial drought.

End of 19/20 season they were 6-8 inch. Then last year 12-14 inch and great condition, fat as footballs. This season they are 14-16 inch and while very healthy not as prime condition as last year.

The amounts of floods have seen them not feeding as well but they have stayed in the rivers in much the same areas.

Some rivers they just get washed away but the good news is the numbers are stable.

Browns made up about 5% last year and this year about 30%. This is to be expected as the Browns will successfully spawn where as the rainbows will not.

The browns are mostly smaller with the odd one bigger.

The rainbows lay their eggs, and they get fertilised, but very few if any rainbows are naturally recruited.

The acclimatisation societies are doing a wonderful job seeding the streams.

Dry fly fishing has been very limited. They are just not looking up. Size 14 copper bead heads nymphs are the standout.

Hatches are very limited.

Let’s hope with some better weather and stable flows the dry fly fishing will pick up.

Keen to make a start in the Snowies in a few weeks. The fishing should be superb.

Tight Tippets,

Geoff

CW Trout 3 comp.jpg

CW Trout 1 comp.jpg

CW Trout2 comp.jpg

CW Trout 4 comp.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Great, concise report Geoff. I admire you dedicated Trout anglers, especially fly fishing aficionados. I always admire the dedicated angler who can relate statistics relevant to previous years numbers and general health of the fish and environment.

I hope that you manage to get up to the Snowies and make a killing. Good luck, I will look forward to your report. Fantastic photos!

Cheers, bn

Edited by big Neil
  • Like 2

Thanks for the report Geoff,

Love your photos.

If you are heading up the Snowies the rivers were still high. The good news is the lakes. Eucumbene is still rising with new water over grass providing good fly fishing. Look for shallow water close to a steep bank and evenings seem to be best.

We fished the Snowy Festival week and the Fly bois accounted for some of the better fish.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 7:20 AM, rickmarlin62 said:

Im amazed at how healthy and how well the stocks have held up in two streams i fish  after major flood events the fish have been great  with bows up to 50cm

Rick, You are right. I see the height of the floods from my last vist, shake my head , and still the fish are there.

Lets make the most of it while it lasts. I have seen the same rivers stop flowing and have no discerable fish population.

Geoff 

On 11/26/2022 at 10:59 AM, Hoods said:

Thanks for the report Geoff,

Love your photos.

If you are heading up the Snowies the rivers were still high. The good news is the lakes. Eucumbene is still rising with new water over grass providing good fly fishing. Look for shallow water close to a steep bank and evenings seem to be best.

We fished the Snowy Festival week and the Fly bois accounted for some of the better fish.