Christened a New Fishing Rod-1.02 Meter Kayak Jewfish(9 July'24)

Set off at first light from Berowra Waters boat ramp with high hopes and a new fishing rod. The wet start to the day and a forecast for more rain to come ensured that the traffic would be light on the water.

The mullet in Joe Crafts Bay had been well briefed and it took just 30 minutes to catch 12 fish. The 3 biggest mullet  I gutted and cleaned and put in my cool bag for the table and from the remainder I kept 4 in my live bait tank and let the others go. The mullet I kept for bait were all around 30cm long which is ideal for a double 8/0 or 9/0 hook rig.

Paddled to the river in record time and fished the tail end of the flood for 2 hours without any action. I very seldom catch any jewfish in the Hawkesbury on a flood tide.

When a predator is near the big mullet get very lively and try to swim up from the bottom and this had occurred twice in the same area. Third try was at slack water and the hit came in relatively shallow water of around 4 meters, above the drop off and close to rocks. The fight was quite short but it was all in shallow water. When the jewfish came to the surface it was still green and lively and came off the gaff first try. The second shot was more successful and then the usual contortions to get the fish into the kayak hatch.

The leading hook was well placed in the side of the mouth but the snell was frayed and partially unraveled and the trailing hook was gone. The mono leader was also cut and frayed over a length of several meters and looking at that terminal tackle I'm surprised this wasn't a 'one that got away' story.

Pulled into the Twin Beaches on the home run where a group of (hardy) young people were camping and kindly took a couple of photographs for me.

P1010885 2.JPG

P1010903.JPG

• Like 23

Well done. Another river monster. Mate I have a couple of rods that are yet to prove themselves - wanna give those a go?

Cheers Zoran 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A lovely report describing the events leading up to the capture of a beautiful-looking Jewie. As you say you were a little lucky that it stayed hooked up judging by the damaged rig.

Well done kingfish 101.

bn