Sailfish On Sp

Phar Cue

Bez and I got 2 sailfish yesterday at SWR. A juvinile of about 35cm & and a grand daddy over 50kg but the verdict is not out yet.

The juvinile was caught on a soft plastic amongst a school of feeding sharks, fin and frigates. The grand daddy on live bait.

Also caught a bucket load of other species including dolphin fish, yellow fin, whalers and a couple of 9 kg spanish mackeral.

Haven't had a better weekend of fishing.

post-767-1138673630_thumb.jpg

post-767-1138673642_thumb.jpg

post-767-1138673652_thumb.jpg

Hi mate,

That are some excellent photos and awesome shot of the little billfish. I have caught 2 black marlin only around 50cm before, just incredible it is to catch them that small! Tell us how you got the little sail. I would be interested to know in more detail if possible.

Great work on the bigger sailfish.

AWESOME DAY!!!

We were chasing yellow fin and frigates which were schooling. We were trying to get a frigate we could throw out into the frenzying whalers for a bit of fun. Out was tossed a small plastic intended for a frigate when low and behold the little tacker jumps on it and starts tail walking. It was pretty much sculled in but can you imaging a 35cm billfish tail walking? OOOoooooh how cute.

Hi mate,

That are some excellent photos and awesome shot of the little billfish. I have caught 2 black marlin only around 50cm before, just incredible it is to catch them that small! Tell us how you got the little sail. I would be interested to know in more detail if possible.

Great work on the bigger sailfish.

AWESOME DAY!!!

Here are a couple of others

The yellowfin was also caught about the same time as the baby sail on sp.

The shark was caught on a frigate thrown at its head (also saw the same shark take the feet off a tern and try to eat the rest of him!!)

Spanish on the troll

As far as catch and release go, only keepers were 2 spanish and one dolphin fish. We love doing our bit for the ocean. Every other fish caught went back. Would bring a tear to some but stuff em.

"They look better in the water than they do on a plate"

that is awesome... that little sail is so cool,

any pics of the fin and anything else?

would love to see more pics and a report

post-767-1138678971_thumb.jpg

post-767-1138678982_thumb.jpg

post-767-1138678993_thumb.jpg

post-767-1138679006_thumb.jpg

post-767-1138679017_thumb.jpg

that mackerel looks short and solid, do you think its a broadbarred ? rather than a narrowbarred that is.

looks like you had a great trip, im going up to swr myself on the 10th feb for 4 days chasing marlin and cobes, but it looks like i'll have to head to grassy after your report. havnt caught a spanyard since karumba 1999. thier the best eating fish in my opinion. congradulations phar cue

Hi mate,

How AWESOME!!

You had a very special day mate and did the little sail manage to swim away ok??

Did you catch the other sails near the little sail?

Cheers

Here are a couple of others

The yellowfin was also caught about the same time as the baby sail on sp.

The shark was caught on a frigate thrown at its head (also saw the same shark take the feet off a tern and try to eat the rest of him!!)

Spanish on the troll

As far as catch and release go, only keepers were 2 spanish and one dolphin fish. We love doing our bit for the ocean. Every other fish caught went back. Would bring a tear to some but stuff em.

"They look better in the water than they do on a plate"

Yes raiders the little fella was swum and resucitated and off he went to become an even bigger billfish.

There has been some controversy if it's a sail or a marlin, so we await a PROFFESIONAL response. But I don't care, sail or beak it's still goes down as one of the flukiest catches and it has started huge controversy.

And no, the grand daddy sail was caught some distance away but around SWR.

Cheers

Hi mate,

How AWESOME!!

You had a very special day mate and did the little sail manage to swim away ok??

Did you catch the other sails near the little sail?

Cheers

Now that is a great weekend of fishing! Well done on the report and pics guys. :thumbup: Always like to hear reports from up that way.

I've managed to get to SWR once, but it was only for two days so not much fishing time. Itching to get back up there again.

Shane

:1fishing1:

That is awesome,

I am by no means an expert, but i thought i read somewhere that no one had ever found any small marlin. And that they don't know where they go when they are small...

Don't know if the same applyies for Sailfish. either way that is a pretty special little fish.

Wicked day out too.

Garth