I swear the Luderick hate me

31 minutes ago, sashkello said:

At Spit bridge, the current is very strong. I tried for luderick at exactly that spot and it's honestly quite annoying - your float gets swept away very quickly and gets snagged on shallower rocks if you aren't mindful. The depth is good though at any tide. I'd try around high tide when the water isn't running that much. Also burley is useless when it gets swept away in seconds, so keep that in mind.

Lots of leatherjackets there, so careful if you're not using weed - they will bite off your hook clean, whether with prawn or bread!

Love Cobblers - my favourite luderick spot so far :)

have you fished the southern Georges head spot?

3 minutes ago, sashkello said:

Nope, on my list when the wind is blowing the other way.

I fish the high ledge there should be 2nd car park and following trail on left after exiting car then turn right after you find gap amongst bush.

image.png.869f411e73759337f4109da607f4c3f6.png

I do not recommend on a East Swell because it becomes very dangerous. i once arrived for shore jigging and saw 2m waves hitting there and switch to cobblers due to how dangerous it was

3 hours ago, faker said:

Any recommended tide?

I fish normally at cobblers. Have not fished georges head for them

I always liked the run in tide but that doesn’t mean you won’t get them on the run out tide either . Maybe try the last 1/3 run in to first 1/3 run out and see what it is like . When you are fishing high current flow areas fish around the turn of the tide -1 to 2 hours either side and see how you go .

There are no real hard and fast rules with luderick, get the foundation right ( rig set up and working correctly , good bait presentation and the bait they want to eat  ) and this narrows  things down significantly- really it’s down to just finding the depth they are holding at , whether they want cabbage or string weed and what tide they bite best on - only time on the water at one location will tell you this , change locations and go back to square one .

The only rule with luderick fishing ( this was taught to me by an old guy at Narrabeen when I was a kid) he said always bring a couple of number 4 size suicide ( octopus) hooks and some fresh bread because if the luderick aren’t on you can usually go home with a feed of bream - bit of bread for berley and some for bait is all you need . 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, faker said:

I fish the high ledge there should be 2nd car park and following trail on left after exiting car then turn right after you find gap amongst bush.

I'll give it a try! You park somewhere to the south of the path to the beach? Or before? I understand it's around the area marked "Obelisk Bay" on google maps.

1 hour ago, sashkello said:

I'll give it a try! You park somewhere to the south of the path to the beach? Or before? I understand it's around the area marked "Obelisk Bay" on google maps.

The problem is the path can get you running into nudist down that direction and its a bit of a walk from south. I am normally out of there by 9am to avoid the weirdos. its actually trail on right

never caught luderick down that direction or seen any schools. its more of a bream spot for me on iso

But i have caught them after chain climb down here

image.png.d67b4d59d5ec1c49f2c4fb82c6a80904.png

Edited by faker
  • Thanks 2

I would typically use a hook at least 1/2 the size. I normally use size 10 luderick mustard hooks.

Those may work, however, I personally feel that is way to large. They would be great for bream though!

Edited by Peter KH
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Peter KH said:

I would typically use a hook at least 1/2 the size. I normally use size 10 luderick mustard hooks.

Those may work, however, I personally feel that is way to large. They would be great for bream though!

Thank you. I’ll just use the size 8 hooks for now and search for anything smaller next time I go shopping. I do have some size 10 hooks but they bend pretty easily.

Edited by TheFishyFisherman

On 8/30/2024 at 3:42 AM, XD351 said:

Are you using the rubber stoppers like these? They come in a variety of sizes , sometimes you have to run two in a row as a single one sometimes doesn’t have enough holding power and slips up the line .

IMG_1095.thumb.jpeg.dffa4c1a781cd14d1734dadb1a0c5369.jpeg

When I was a kid and before they invented the stoppers pictured above we used a length of wool ( used for knitting) and the knot below - it worked but was a little chunky and sometimes got caught up in the guides .

IMG_1096.thumb.jpeg.6d517693095cd00a04bb6ac2514ce5e7.jpeg

Still use this Ian, but knitting wool does the trick.

• Like 1