Pickles - first Bass for the season

Due to training commitments (Rosie & Mrs Pickles off to Victoria for National Retrieving Championships), I haven’t done much fishing of late, but buddy Steve wanted his grandson “Caleb” blooded on Bass.

Caleb is crack flattie lure sensei, but never caught a Bass. That changed today on the Deerubbin. Using small double clutch, feral cats and prowlers (black purple and yellow) we boated 25 as well as 2 rainbow trout and a nice flattie.

Calebs review if the day - Awesome”

Steves “cut off” as he didn’t want his face showing

IMG_3581.jpeg

IMG_3576.jpeg

IMG_3585.jpeg

IMG_3572.jpeg

Edited by Pickles
  • Like 16

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

Nice work there Bob. Have been wondering where you were, no reports for a while.

Did the trout make it home for the table?

Yep, having it baked tonight

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Nice work Bob. I was waiting for the story for the trout but then I realised it was a Deerubbin capture...a spillover from the dam I guess!

I'm going to make some proper attempts on the bass these warmer months.

Happy to take you out if you’re keen Mike.

• Like 1

Looks like you got into some nice EP and Bass there Bob. You can see the differences in their head shapes in that double hold up! Lets catch some big jewfish when I have a gap in my uni schedule and you are free as well!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, James Clain said:

Looks like you got into some nice EP and Bass there Bob. You can see the differences in their head shapes in that double hold up! Lets catch some big jewfish when I have a gap in my uni schedule and you are free as well!

Hi James. Can you detail the differences between the EP and Bass for us?

Cheers, bn

• Like 1

17 hours ago, big Neil said:

Hi James. Can you detail the differences between the EP and Bass for us?

Cheers, bn

Hello Neil 

The EPs have a concave head profile and the Bass have a convex head profile. The bottom photo and the fish on the left in the 2nd last photo are EPs and the others are bass. 

Whats interesting is that in the Hawkesbury we seem to occasionally get hybrid ones that are almost impossible to tell the difference. I've caught a couple that have been very hard to distinguish. 

7 hours ago, James Clain said:

Hello Neil 

The EPs have a concave head profile and the Bass have a convex head profile. The bottom photo and the fish on the left in the 2nd last photo are EPs and the others are bass. 

Whats interesting is that in the Hawkesbury we seem to occasionally get hybrid ones that are almost impossible to tell the difference. I've caught a couple that have been very hard to distinguish. 

Thanks for your reply James. Very subtle differences. Apparently? the hybrids from Murray Cod and Trout Cod mixed breeding are sterile. I wonder if that is the case with the Bass/ EP hybrids?

bn

• Like 1

15 hours ago, big Neil said:

Thanks for your reply James. Very subtle differences. Apparently? the hybrids from Murray Cod and Trout Cod mixed breeding are sterile. I wonder if that is the case with the Bass/ EP hybrids?

bn

Supposedly the hybrid bass/EP are actually fertile. 

https://molecularecology.flinders.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/86_Hybridz_JFB11.pdf

• Thanks 1