Something a bit different

JonD

Typical fishing weather today. Headed north 30km punching into 1m chop on a 1.5m swell, with the advantage of running back with it on my run back home in the back of my head. Water was bellow 15'c which seemed to of shut the fish down, so no sign of a snapper anywhere. Moved from spot to spot ending up out in 120m of water at one point before heading back around 60m depths. I noticed a few fish sitting in the upper 20m which I was surprised to pull these two rarities from.Ā 

Here's the typical bit!!!!!.....wind kicked up from the south, meaning I had a 30k run back home punching into worse conditions than on the way out therešŸ¤ŖĀ 

IMG_2109.thumb.jpg.c7cea3b59512deedcbb83522c1f0af3f.jpg

Ā 

IMG_2112.thumb.jpg.160b4887242169bed9ed645cdbb88311.jpg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Samson or Amberjack? only a young fish.

2nd one could be a Red Dory.

Fishing outside, do not always rely on the weather forecast.Ā šŸ˜‚Ā 

It's a warehou but goes under a few names. Silver dory but again goes under various names.

Screenshot2024-09-11at9_19_04pm.thumb.png.2603ca4d7392a28719decf47013b895e.png

Edited by JonD
  • Thanks 1

The Warehou go by some rather sad names, including ā€œsnotty noseā€ Ā and sometimes ā€œputty noseā€ but when fresh and reasonable size, they are pretty good eating, but the flesh tends to go mushy/soft if not fresh or not iced when caught. Never seen one of those Dories line caught before, they are reasonably common commercial catch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, noelm said:

The Warehou go by some rather sad names, including ā€œsnotty noseā€ Ā and sometimes ā€œputty noseā€ but when fresh and reasonable size, they are pretty good eating, but the flesh tends to go mushy/soft if not fresh or not iced when caught. Never seen one of those Dories line caught before, they are reasonably common commercial catch.

Yes I had it for dinner last night, which was really good. To me they look like a tailor with the blue eye head.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

2 hours ago, Blackfish said:

A couple of odd fish there Jon and I hope you didnā€™t have the problems with your neck as bad this time.

I did actually, neck and headache which Im still suffering from today. Im thinking its more to do with being off the water for a couple of months and my body is just not used to it!!!!!!...Im aching all over today. Just need to get out more often again, Ive just turned down commercial boat work and doubt I will go back to that again. I miss the soft ride of the Zodiac deep V.

• Like 1