Port hacking inkers

Gday raiders, Monday just gone took the boat out into the hacking for some more squid. Began over at jibbon rather late on last light. threw a jig around for awhile until a squid appeared boat side, reeled a rod in and placed the jig in front of his face and he happily took it. Short while later large schools of ether salmon or tailor were jumping out the water attacking schools of baitfish. had nothing but squid jigs so we threw some squid jigs at them and actually hooked up 9 times out of 10 but ended up dropping the fish after 5-10 seconds. the boat now has a small box with a small range of  metals which sit in it permanently.

With the squid over at jibbon not wanted to play besides the one, we headed over into burraneer/dolans bay and tried out a new spot. couldn't be bothered drifting so out went the anchor. Over the course of the next 2 hours we landed 14 arrow squid amongst the two of us with the vast majority of them being deep but just on the edge of the light that is attached to each side of the boat. With work the following day we pulled anchor up at 9.30 leaving the squid biting.

image.thumb.png.fd6e85e6422b593a2c807ab020e0e542.png

image.thumb.png.91131d8aed16577ecfe9ee6fb67b9f48.png

Our next ink trip was on Friday evening, yet again late afternoon launch and made way over to jibbion, this time catching nothing so we made our way to another new spot in dolans/burraneer bay. this new spot only produced 1 squid in a hour, so we moved back to the same spot as we were at on monday which was only a couple hundred meters away for another 6 squid. Pulled anchor up at 9.30 as it was bloody freezing. No photos on this trip, i was lazy.

So with 3 trips on the refurbished boat everything's going great so far, its comfortable to fish from, easy & light to launch and retrieve and the engine has more then enough power. the only issues there are so far is the deep cycle battery unless its 100% charged isn't strong enough to start the engine with the key so the engine has to be pull started. Upon further research it seems a normal marine grade car battery is probably enough to run the accessory's and also start the boat.  LED light strips suck and draw a stupid amount of current so they are going to be ripped out and replaced with something else. and my mates big flipper broke the anchor well drainage tube so if I was not to fix that the anchor well will drain onto all the safety stuff (life jackets etc) which isn't ideal.

• Like 14

Appears there are squid about, nice catches.

Sounds like you might need 2 batteries - a standard battery for the motor, and a deep cycle one for the lights. The deep cycle battery does not have enough cranking amps to kick over a motor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Appears there are squid about, nice catches.

Sounds like you might need 2 batteries - a standard battery for the motor, and a deep cycle one for the lights. The deep cycle battery does not have enough cranking amps to kick over a motor.

Cheers mate. Hope they hang around till daylight savings end atleast as it’s easier to take boat out on a weekday.

the battery I have is advertised to start a motor, but clearly not. I ideally want one battery so I’ll give a starter battery a go and see how that goes. There isn’t much accessory wise especially once I replace the led strips with something abit easier on current draw and surely a 25hp dosnt need much to turn on

Nice catch of squid! 
Always good to have a mix of fishing gear stashed on board - never know what will pop up.
Might be worth dropping down a live squid bait for a jewie where you’re catching all that squid at night.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Larkin said:

Nice catch of squid! 
Always good to have a mix of fishing gear stashed on board - never know what will pop up.
Might be worth dropping down a live squid bait for a jewie where you’re catching all that squid at night.

not a bad idea at all!