Port Hacking

Yowie

Headed out early this morning to Maianbar flats, arrived about half light and started pumping nippers. A bit quiet at first, then some whiting turned up. Fairly constant bites until the tide slowed (run up). Not big whiting, biggest at 34cm and some just over the limit. Half a dozen or so released just under the limit. 

That was enough for me for a few feeds, so I decided to head home. Looked at the clock and it was right on 7am, so an early trip back to the ramp.

I caught them all by wading in the water, less than knee deep.

fish.jpeg.462_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Larkin said:

Some nice fillets! Your wading technique seems to do the trick. I think the sand being kicked up can attract them too.

I Must of just missed you at the ramp - was there at first light.

Thank you. Pumping the nippers, and wading about stirs up the sand, attracting a few, though I do find some up current as well, where there is no sand being stirred up. 

Saw your van there after I returned, parked not far from me, so I guessed you were not far behind in launch time.

Nice one Yowie, that’s a great haul. Sounds similar to what I do on that sand flat - if find yourself interested in some company you’re welcome to flick me a message.

Are you fishing the yabbies unweighted? I’ve been fishing them with a sinker to get additional casting distance from the Spit.

4 hours ago, SpeedyGiraffe49 said:

Nice one Yowie, that’s a great haul. Sounds similar to what I do on that sand flat - if find yourself interested in some company you’re welcome to flick me a message.

Are you fishing the yabbies unweighted? I’ve been fishing them with a sinker to get additional casting distance from the Spit.

I use a size 0 ball sinker running free, helps with the casting. I have tried unweighted nippers to float along in the current, but not for a while. The seagulls can fly down and grab the floating nippers, then the fish are scared off.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2024 at 11:24 AM, Yowie said:

Headed out early this morning to Maianbar flats, arrived about half light and started pumping nippers. A bit quiet at first, then some whiting turned up. Fairly constant bites until the tide slowed (run up). Not big whiting, biggest at 34cm and some just over the limit. Half a dozen or so released just under the limit. 

That was enough for me for a few feeds, so I decided to head home. Looked at the clock and it was right on 7am, so an early trip back to the ramp.

I caught them all by wading in the water, less than knee deep.

fish.jpeg.462_files_files_files.jpg

Yowie, Im Betting your retired , what a nice way to live, catch your feed and enjoy the water ways , this is living .

2 hours ago, Basil D said:

Yowie, Im Betting your retired , what a nice way to live, catch your feed and enjoy the water ways , this is living .

Yes Basil, retired since 2010. Have been fishing The Hacking since about 5 years old, that is 40 or 50 years ago, well, may be a bit longer. 😂

Certainly like fishing there.