Whos got a kingfish spot?

Hi fishos,

Im heading out for a cast this Monday to try catch kingfish, but I unfortunately don't know much places. Every place I've heard - chowder bay, pier 2 and 8 etc are all very crowded apparently. Does anyone know a good enough spot for kingfish that isn't too crowded? 

Thanks!

Odysea

2 hours ago, odysea_yt said:

Hi fishos,

Im heading out for a cast this Monday to try catch kingfish, but I unfortunately don't know much places. Every place I've heard - chowder bay, pier 2 and 8 etc are all very crowded apparently. Does anyone know a good enough spot for kingfish that isn't too crowded? 

Thanks!

Odysea

thing is kingfish swim laps around headlands in harbour the problem is

being at right place right time and right bait.

you literally have to fish whole day and one of the schools makes its lap around and pray you have right bait on day

Rock fishing is another game. but i encounter more kings off the rocks( I do not advise it because its apparent to me that you do not have any experience on dangers of rock fishing)

Edited by faker

16 minutes ago, faker said:

thing is kingfish swim laps around headlands in harbour the problem is

being at right place right time and right bait.

you literally have to fish whole day and one of the schools makes its lap around and pray you have right bait on day

Rock fishing is another game. but i encounter more kings off the rocks( I do not advise it because its apparent to me that you do not have any experience on dangers of rock fishing)

oh, im not limited to kingfish all pelagics that makes the drag go zzzz and is good for eating is target species. Is there any spot they concentrate on, or do they just zoom everywhere?

14 minutes ago, odysea_yt said:

oh, im not limited to kingfish all pelagics that makes the drag go zzzz and is good for eating is target species. Is there any spot they concentrate on, or do they just zoom everywhere?

zoom everywhere. There are certain spots where they would be more likely to pass or be around - and these spots would likely have a few things such as structure (because that attracts bait which in turn attracts the predators), deep water etc: Right now isn't the best time for pelagics anyway in the harbour in a month or two schools will start coming in

36 minutes ago, odysea_yt said:

They zoom everywhere. Unless you got a boat and hang out at reef in Sydney harbour. Right now I can't be bothered and am just happy to fish flathead 

1 hour ago, faker said:

They zoom everywhere. Unless you got a boat and hang out at reef in Sydney harbour. Right now I can't be bothered and am just happy to fish flathead 

1 hour ago, Aussie_fisher said:

zoom everywhere. There are certain spots where they would be more likely to pass or be around - and these spots would likely have a few things such as structure (because that attracts bait which in turn attracts the predators), deep water etc: Right now isn't the best time for pelagics anyway in the harbour in a month or two schools will start coming in

oh, but if i just wait at pier then will they eventually come? I'm thinking of staying from 8 till 4

28 minutes ago, odysea_yt said:

oh, but if i just wait at pier then will they eventually come? I'm thinking of staying from 8 till 4

Maybe but that depends on bait as well at that point

1 hour ago, odysea_yt said:

Maybe. I tried for kingies last summer and got absolutely nothing. Sat at the piers all day for 2 days. Depends on your luck. Went on a charter and got them easy since we could just chase them on the boat. And if they do come live/fresh squid is the best bait followed by yakkas and then other stuff but also depends on their mood. 

They're pelagics for a reason - they swim around and hunt for food. There's no spot in the harbour could guarantee one, even on rocks honestly I wouldn't call it consistency even at the right season. Good luck pulling a king among those hunting bonis lol. Anyway as others suggest, either fish thru the uncertainties to achieve your goal or go for a charter which imo also improves your knowledge and skills a lot.

If you're gonna go to fish at piers etc., make sure you have fresh baits with you. Live prawns and squid are dynamite inside harbour.

8 minutes ago, lhan said:

They're pelagics for a reason - they swim around and hunt for food. There's no spot in the harbour could guarantee one, even on rocks honestly I wouldn't call it consistency even at the right season. Good luck pulling a king among those hunting bonis lol. Anyway as others suggest, either fish thru the uncertainties to achieve your goal or go for a charter which imo also improves your knowledge and skills a lot.

If you're gonna go to fish at piers etc., make sure you have fresh baits with you. Live prawns and squid are dynamite inside harbour.

wait bonis are there, too? I wanna catch any pelagics, so bonito very good lol

16 minutes ago, odysea_yt said:

wait bonis are there, too? I wanna catch any pelagics, so bonito very good lol

very few now but yes they're in the harbour. If you just want the YouTube drag feeling just use light gear and back the drag a bit more. A 30cm bream will give you the heart pump more than a Bonnie on pe3

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2024 at 4:59 PM, odysea_yt said:

You can try blues point but it gets very crowded in the morning. I have seen 4 kings getting caught in the last week. All were caught on baits though. 1 was caught on garfish spinning jigs by some kids, basically putting dead garfish on hooks and casting retrieving them like jigs. Genius idea.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, devoker said:

You can try blues point but it gets very crowded in the morning. I have seen 4 kings getting caught in the last week. All were caught on baits though. 1 was caught on garfish spinning jigs by some kids, basically putting dead garfish on hooks and casting retrieving them like jigs. Genius idea.

oh, do they use livebait or something else? Garfish strat is crazy lol