Cooks River, 13/09

Hey Raiders,

Hope life is treating you well. 

Managed to get out on the local before the bad weather hit yesterday and today. I haven't had a decent session for a while now, but something about the incoming tide and the green-ish tinge on the Cooks on Sunday just screamed "Come fish me!", so I cracked out the 2-5 kg rod and the bigger plastics.

First cast and I saw a flash close in and was promptly busted off: the curse of the hastily-tied FG from a previous session and not checking the gear properly. I swore at myself and re-tied. A few casts later and up popped a little flatty with eyes bigger than its belly. Encouraged, I worked my way round the river and as the tide start to flood in, the bite picked up and size of the fish started to increase. Eventually I got to a deeper stretch and had a better fight off a small trev, before something much heavier struck and started pulling me up the bank. A cyclist stopped to watch and our exchange went something like this:

"Looks like a big fish! Is it a bream?"

"I don't want to jinx it, but I think it might be better than that. Any chance you could chuck me my net?"

"Looks like a big fish!"

"Yes, I think it might be. Could you pass me the net?"

"Looks like a big fish. Good luck, see ya mate."

"Cheers! Any chance you could chuck me the..."

And with that he rode off, my net 10 metres away. I got the fish to the bank and saw it was a decent soapie, but of course, it shook its head and made like the cyclist: "See ya mate." Oh well, that'll teach me!

Anyway, there was a bridge nearby and the stretch was producing so I thought 'sod it' and continued flicking.  A tailor, a few more flatties, but no silver lining. I started altering the retrieve: counting till the lure was a second off the bottom before giving it sharp double hops. A gap in the trees and another deeper stretch and sure enough a similar bite with a similar fight. This time I had the net at my feet, but turns out I didn't need it as a passing runner (and possibly a fisherman too, he ID-ed the fish immediately) helped out and took a snap. A rare wee daylight Cooks jewie for a keen, but often unsuccessful angler! 

I kept fishing, hoping there might be a legal fish about, but the wind picked up and bite detection went out the window. Oh well, it was an eventful session.

20241013_144946.thumb.jpg.45db006b425a6e7c3f9a8e406e51e837.jpg

• Like 14

23 minutes ago, TheFishyFisherman said:

Nice job on getting one. Can't believe that the cyclist thought it was a bream - if he stayed and helped, he would've been in for a big surprise!

Ahhh thems the breaks! It was my own fault for not having the net closer. 

• Like 1