Port Hacking again

Yowie

Headed to Maianbar flats at first light, pumped some nippers and the whiting started off slowly at first. Wading in less than knee deep water again. Eventually they increased in numbers, then a bloody pelican swam around me. Every time I pulled up a fish, the pelican swam near me, then some time until the bites started again. I released about the same number of whiting as landed, those were just under the limit. Biggest of the whiting at 32cm. Not big whiting, but enough nice fillets for a couple of feeds.

Headed to a secret spot for a short time, to use the last of the nippers, and pulled up the flattie at 46cm. That was it so headed back to the ramp.

fish.jpeg.464_files_files_files.jpg

• Like 13

49 minutes ago, Ryder said:

At first light the tide would have still been rising, is that a preference? The tide I mean.

I know you asked Yowie, but ive heard that its a good time as the fish swim onto the flats as the tide covers it to feed working up the shallows.

3 hours ago, Ryder said:

Another good days work. Nice bag.

At first light the tide would have still been rising, is that a preference? The tide I mean.

Thank you. Yes, the run up is good for Maianbar flats, the whiting keep moving into shallow water looking for critters that are about. Also had to contend with stingrays, whiptail rays, and a large eagle ray, all moving into the shallow water to suck up the nippers. Just a matter of poking them with the nipper pump to move them away from me. 

2 hours ago, Peter K said:

I know you asked Yowie, but ive heard that its a good time as the fish swim onto the flats as the tide covers it to feed working up the shallows.

The whiting move into shallow water as the tide rises. Pulled out a bream as well this morning, just under size. Moving along looking for food.

On 2 occasions, I have caught whiting in the early morning light swimming in water so shallow their backs were out of the water. Lobbed a nipper beside them, both times they splashed through the shallow water to grab the nipper. Both were legal sized fish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Larkin said:

Nice feed of whiting Dave! 

Good weather this morning - water not too cold. 
Flat outside too.

Thanks Chris, happy with the catch, a couple of feeds there.

I have not been outside for several weeks now, mate's boat is getting a service so looking forward to heading out.

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Nice catch, I was just thinking to myself that the tide is just right for Whiting at my place, might pump some Nippers tomorrow morning.

Give it a go, cannot catch fish just looking at them. 🤣 Run up tide at present is good for the shallow waters with nippers.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Yowie said:

Headed to Maianbar flats at first light, pumped some nippers and the whiting started off slowly at first. Wading in less than knee deep water again. Eventually they increased in numbers, then a bloody pelican swam around me. Every time I pulled up a fish, the pelican swam near me, then some time until the bites started again. I released about the same number of whiting as landed, those were just under the limit. Biggest of the whiting at 32cm. Not big whiting, but enough nice fillets for a couple of feeds.

Headed to a secret spot for a short time, to use the last of the nippers, and pulled up the flattie at 46cm. That was it so headed back to the ramp.

fish.jpeg.464_files_files_files.jpg

whiting, quality at its best