Another Snyder Glas

Ryder

In the same antique store I picked up a Sportex 663 last year, today I found a Snyder Glas CR145 3W.  ( Club Rod 145 inch 3 wrap) What does Club Rod mean?

It’s an early black 2 piece, glass ferrule. I think they are sought after. Currently built as a light surf it should make a great blackfish rod, if I can get the recipe.

IMG_1252.thumb.jpeg.a0a640961b2af73b640ca71d885b91aa.jpegIMG_1253.thumb.jpeg.59499b0de60cfc7fb4c9a2015f513739.jpeg

• Like 6

Never have known what 'club rod' meant, but they are the same as the GP 3145- excellent Lude rod. If you aren't in a hurry for the spacings I have 3 GP's t(hat I've built) in my storage unit and hopefully I'll be at the storage place in about a week. From memory guide sizes are 2x 8's, 2x 10's, 2x 12's, 16, 20 and 25 and tip is an 8. 

Highly sought after- especially the 2 piece. We used to use them for Bream at night also. Great rod for 3kg line. Awesome find!

• Like 4

Thanks Waza

All Fuji Lumo BNHG guides, built for night fishing. I’ve even got the builders Initials, K.B.T, anyone you know?  Rockdale sports and fishing .It lives inside now.IMG_0975.thumb.jpeg.3fd3c3b66a513ffdfc883258a5de117d.jpeg

Edited by Ryder
Spell
  • Like 2

Next time you’re up this way let us know and I’ll take you on the Grand Tour. 😄

Also I’ll take you to a neighbour who’s got the biggest collection of fishing gear I’ve ever seen in a private residence and he’s always trying to give me stuff.

Edited by Blackfish

11 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

How do you find these things in an antique store @Ryder? I’m yet to find much gear that is any better than a $20 department store rod!

I pretend I’m looking for another ‘Diana’ vase for the missus to replace the one I smashed and both collections keep growing.

IMG_0976.thumb.jpeg.ff758ef10744ce885d7a156bcfa035cb.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, Ryder said:

Thanks Waza

All Fuji Lumo BNHG guides, built for night fishing. I’ve even got the builders Initials, K.B.T, anyone you know?  Rockdale sports and fishing .It lives inside now.IMG_0975.thumb.jpeg.3fd3c3b66a513ffdfc883258a5de117d.jpeg

No, didn't deal with them, only Chapman's at Rockdale- who had an amazing and extensive range of bait and tackle. Gary Chapman was one of the best fishermen of the modern era. Sadly disappeared with Ron Nelson while they were fishing the famous 'Peak' one night and an annual competition was dedicated to their memory.

Cheers Waza, I think I heard about that tragedy recently. They were talking about it on Hi Tide 1279

The CR came with a couple of other rods in the lot. Butterworth Dhuboy, a stocky 5’6” boat rod and 11’6” beach rod from Progress tackle Coffs Harbour, has the number 612? Could be a Butterworth IMG_1261.thumb.jpeg.8b5fdf10584c5a447435d5dee9e2f4fe.jpegIMG_1260.thumb.jpeg.7bcea1a70a88bc0bef4fd556220d9895.jpegIMG_1262.thumb.jpeg.f920630c61f448db7ecd45c44a6eccb0.jpegIMG_1263.thumb.jpeg.4819166a128b5d14be9017586eef8821.jpegIMG_1265.thumb.jpeg.a97862b29916b293fa26f2b4225d64ed.jpegblank. I won’t be using them if anyone wants them send me a PM

Afternoon @Ryder, as Mike asked about trying to find them in OP shops. I have a similar question. If you would mind answering, how much do 2nd hand older fishing rods set you back, how do I know if $X is a fair price, or if I'm being overcharged. I've had a few older rods past on to me, but Ive never gone 'shopping' for them or tried buying online etc. 

Cheers, Peter

It depends on the make and the model. I deal mostly with Blackfish and a few beach rods. Blackfish guys are freaks for the vintage gear. Brands like Butterworth, Snyder glas and Sportex.

This CR145 3W or Butterworth GP145 would go $150-200, because there are fewer around. A stock standard Butterworth 7144 beach rod $40-80. Sportex Blackfish rods are next level people asking from $120 to $400.

Older Jarvis  Walker ‘Black Queen’ are highly collectable, usually go for $100-150, I think I saw one recently they wanted $400 or more but it was mint.

That grey Snyder I built, I was told I could get $150 before the rebuild.

There is a Snyder glas page on Facebook that could give you more info.

• Like 2

Thanks Ryder, those prices would be the people in the know. What about volunteers who run the Op shops setting the prices. If they don't have fishing knowledge I don't think they would set an old rod that high. So are the prices you mentioned what the fishing market is at, your the prices you would expect to pay at a small op shop. Thanks for your info.

Peter

Those prices are what you could get from someone in the know. The bargains come from people and places who don’t know. But that’s collecting.

I got my sportex for $50, from 2nd hand warehouse. That grey Snyder $5 at the tip buyback. They were happy to sell them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ryder said:

The bargains come from people and places who don’t know. But that’s collecting.

Yep, that's what I was thinking. Interesting. 

Some great deals you've had!

Edit: Particularly great if you do restorations then re-sell.

Edited by Peter K

3 hours ago, Ryder said:

Cheers Waza, I think I heard about that tragedy recently. They were talking about it on Hi Tide 1279

The CR came with a couple of other rods in the lot. Butterworth Dhuboy, a stocky 5’6” boat rod and 11’6” beach rod from Progress tackle Coffs Harbour, has the number 612? Could be a Butterworth IMG_1261.thumb.jpeg.8b5fdf10584c5a447435d5dee9e2f4fe.jpegIMG_1260.thumb.jpeg.7bcea1a70a88bc0bef4fd556220d9895.jpegIMG_1262.thumb.jpeg.f920630c61f448db7ecd45c44a6eccb0.jpegIMG_1263.thumb.jpeg.4819166a128b5d14be9017586eef8821.jpegIMG_1265.thumb.jpeg.a97862b29916b293fa26f2b4225d64ed.jpegblank. I won’t be using them if anyone wants them send me a PM

Sure looks like a Butterworth or early Snyder- might be a 6wrap 12ft- if so that is the 'Jack Alvey Special' blank and highly sought after. I have the same rod but glass ferrule and it's a great beach rod bor Bream, Dart etc and throwing unweighted Gars off the beach. Another excellent find- might be worth as much as the 3145!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ryder said:

It depends on the make and the model. I deal mostly with Blackfish and a few beach rods. Blackfish guys are freaks for the vintage gear. Brands like Butterworth, Snyder glas and Sportex.

This CR145 3W or Butterworth GP145 would go $150-200, because there are fewer around. A stock standard Butterworth 7144 beach rod $40-80. Sportex Blackfish rods are next level people asking from $120 to $400.

Older Jarvis  Walker ‘Black Queen’ are highly collectable, usually go for $100-150, I think I saw one recently they wanted $400 or more but it was mint.

That grey Snyder I built, I was told I could get $150 before the rebuild.

There is a Snyder glas page on Facebook that could give you more info.

Golly, I think at those prices I’ll leave the vintage rods for those who truly appreciate/deserve them!

Out of curiosity, is the taste for vintage gear out of nostalgia or performance? After seeing the lightness of @wazatherfisherman’s luderick outfit, I’d believe it if you said performance.

It’s a bit of both really. The fibreglass are a bit more durable than graphite, especially around the rocks. Graphite can take a bruise if it gets knocked around.

With this CR145 it’s the blank that’s the money, that thing can almost bend in half. I’ll strip it completely, put on a plate reel seat and maybe shrink wrap grips to take more weight off. It’s fun, I can’t wait to use it.

I’ve got nothing against modern gear, I just bought graphite telescopic I’m taking to Tasmania next week, and looking at a Tony Fordham Carbon Kevlar that was imported from the UK.

The shop I got this rod from is full of Parker and Chiswell furniture, back in the day that’s what everyone had. In the 80s and 90s they were chucking it out, now it’s worth a small fortune.

The Butterworth and Snyder glas were both iconic Aussie manufacturers,( when we had a manufacturing industry) made to suit Aussie anglers and Australian conditions.

I sound old to myself now…They just don’t make em like that anymore.

• Like 5

I'm still occasionally drag out my 70s bent tip Butterworth. It does most of the hard work playing a Luderick - only the occasional loosening of thumb pressure needed. The bad news is the Avon Royal suffered a bad dose of salt corrosion. The worse news is I binned it instead of perservering:1crybaby:

• Sad 1

With the black queen are you talking late 70s early 80s vintage or was there an older version ? Was my first real fishing rod along with a spinnit reel ! I don’t know how many luderick that rod caught !

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, XD351 said:

With the black queen are you talking late 70s early 80s vintage or was there an older version ? Was my first real fishing rod along with a spinnit reel ! I don’t know how many luderick that rod caught !

My father had one. I recall him using it late 70s. They did have a nice bend. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steve0 said:

My father had one. I recall him using it late 70s. They did have a nice bend. 

It was my favourite rod up until i bought my first ugly stik - by then the poor old black queen was looking pretty sad - did a lot of miles taped to my pushbike frame !

Must ask my mate if he still has his ones .

• Like 1

70s Black Queen De Luxe with the agate guides. There is 1 up for auction now asking $600. It’s mint.

That’s pure nostalgia, it was many peoples first fishing rod.

• Like 2