Withering Warrego Weather Wrecks Ray`s Remote River Recreation.

Spent a few days trying my luck on the Warrego River and other local waterways without any success. I must admit that it wasn`t my prime directive for the trip but figured to give some freshwater fishing a go and threw the Raider travel rods in the truck. Expectations were guarded. I tried mostly hardbodies and spinnerbaits and a few soft plastics in minnow or curly tail conformation.. Worms were hard to come by in the rock hard ground and I refuse to buy earthworms from a shop..  Water levels were OK and the temp was a balmy 44 deg C. I barely got any interest from fish at all.  The water was so muddy that If a fish didn`t have a lateral line or sense of smell , the only way they would eat if is if they ran into the food. I tried all manner of retrieves and lure types but drew a blank. The dreaded donut had been recorded.  The only fish that I saw were European Carp that were air- drowned on the bank. You don`t need to be Sherlock Holmes to make the connection. That and the obsession with building weirs that stop the natural seasonal flow of the river. I grew up on muddy inland rivers but much prefer the sand and salt type of fishing on the coast now  Here are a few photos to give you an idea of the conditions when we were camping at Cunnamulla.  Great for snake catching and photography but frustrating for fishing. I have this week planned on a houseboat on the Hawkesbury. It doesn`t look like the weather is going to be great but hope the crabs are running. Any fishing ideas or information is greatly appreciated.

IMG_81912.JPG

IMG_81722.JPG

0D3A6956.JPG

0D3A1791.JPG

0D3A2025.JPG

2.JPG

0D3A3737.JPG

• Like 12

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

I'm sorry the fishing wasn't productive, Dr. Raymond. Fortunately for your avid followers, the photographs help to satisfy their curiosity.

I hope the Hawkesbury houseboat manages to satisfy the need to catch something. Good luck.

bn

Thanks bn. I was disappointed about the fishing but half expected it. From experience , inland rivers are hit-and-miss at best. As a kid , I was always more successful fishing with a rifle than a rod. It was only a sideline to the real mission anyway and its always great to get back into the bush again. I really miss those evenings when the sunlight is fading and all you can hear are the sounds of nature. Now that`s ambience. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

What magnificent photographs, so detailed and crisp.  Well done.

Thank you bessell. Fishing , catching snakes and wildlife photography are passions of mine and its great if you can combine them [ which I always try to achieve ]. If I only caught as many fish as I took photos. This time the ratio was about 16,000 to zero.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hill373737 said:

Great photos, thanks for sharing!!

What camera and lens do you use for the bird photography?

I have two setups that I mainly use for birds .I love Canon gear and use a 5DSR body and a 500mm f4 IS 2 lens for general bird photography that doesn`t involve distance shots. These pics were with a Canon R5 mirrorless body and a 600mm f4 IS 3 lens. I find Canon make the best wildlife lenses and bodies that you can get. Their detail is unbelievable.

0D3A4358.JPG

122A1781 (2).JPG

122A4648.JPG

122A3762.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hill373737 said:

Great photos, thanks for sharing!!

What camera and lens do you use for the bird photography?

Thank you. I`m glad that you like my bird pics. Like fishing , its addictive , and is a great excuse to get out in the bush. Australia has some amazing wildlife and its the little things like our Wrens that can really make great photography subjects.

• Like 1