Filleting Knife

adkel53

I'm in the market for a reasonable quality filleting knife that wont break the bank. Any suggestions Raiders?? The one I currently own (Bladerunner) cost me about $30 a couple of years back. I find it impossible to get really sharp using a good quality steel that sharpens my other knives well. I expected better for the price. Has any one tried the knife sets from Rapala (and others)? Do they keep a good edge and are they value for money?

Kel

Hello kel,

have a 'Swibo' and 'Dexter Russel', both avaliable on line at = www.everten.com.au

Very good on delivery price as well.

Hope this helps and does not upset "Big Brother" :074:

Also local butcher recommended 'Swibo' and fish markets recommended 'Dexter Russel'.

Edited by beupatsunup

I have a number of Victronox knives in various incarnations and they hold a good edge and arent going to break the bank.

PS The company I work for is a food processor and we only use Victronox

Do yourself a favour and get the 23cm Dexter Russell filleting knife. Its by far the best filleting knife I have ever used.

Can be easily sharpened so its super sharp and it holds it edge really really well.

Steve

Thanks for the replies. That Everten website is a ripper and worth a look if you are in the market for cooking and kitchen items.

Kel

yep it sure is kel :thumbup:

i got my big dexter russel filleting knife from there,not only cheap but quick postage.

if the filleters down the markets rave about em it was good enough for my needs,4yrs on,many many fish filleted and holds edge good.

one of the reasons they love em is it doesnt hold bacteria and blade is strong,flexible and holds an edge good..

as with all good knives use it for what its intended..

usually 2 knives to do a fish,fillet knife obviously but use a second shorter blade for gutting/heading etc...

cheers....steve.....

I recently brought myself a martini filleting knife and am very impressed. Cuts through flesh like butter (one finger found out the hard way). Depending on size and handle between $50 - $100 but well worth the investment. Have filleted blackies, flathead and whiting just to name a few with it and there is very minimal wasted flesh, and does not hack at it. Owned a rapala one that set me back $50 and was one of the worst decisions I made, after 3 fish the blade was blunt and starting to chip. I also own a large vitorinox knife which I use to gut and slice through the backbone when needed.

Daniel

i got a victorinox for filleting. it's pretty sharp and reasonably priced ($30 i think).

works really nice through any size fish. not sharp enough to make nice cuts of sashimi though, i use my yanigiba for that

stu_chambers and all, repeat, have a look at =

everten.com.au

But probably not good to show 'the cheese and kisses'. :lol:

Hey guys

The local fish shop I go to use a brand called "frost" they are a swedish make.

They have been using the same few knives in the place for about 15 years.

Not so sure on price or where they can be purchased but might be worth a look.

Cheers Stu

I got a 8" martini knife too as i was told these are one of the top knifes, it costed me $50. Feels really sharp and solid, but i havent fillet a fish as of yet cause im still waitin to catch a fish big enough to make good use of it. :(

Mate I have one like that a Martini fillet knife about 10 inch's and I love it , I have had it for about 4 years and it's lived a hard life , I have been lucky enough to use it on my 115cm Barra , plenty of jew and heaps of flathead , It's great to skin with as well . Have heard that the dexter russel are a great knife as well , but have not had a go with one . Used to work as a fish boner for a while and the Frost knives are great they are really cheap around $15 and can be resharpened pretty easily .

Bubba

.... the Frost knives are great they are really cheap around $15 and can be resharpened pretty easily ..... Nothing to do with the surname is it Bubba??? :074:

There are heaps of terrific knives out there - my Victoinox holds a terrific edge. Also, it should have a bit of flex with it, to allow it to 'bend a bit' when going over lumpy bits.

WHichever one you go for, just ALWAYS make sure you give it a final 'hone' before starting on your new fish & clean & dry it well after use. How you treat your knife makes a HUGE difference to making it perform well.

Cheerio

Roberta

You definitely get what you pay for with knives but for good value, Victorinox or Kershaw are hard to beat.

Sharpening in itself is a bit of a dark art. A steel (or ceramic rod) by itself wont sharpen your knives... it's not designed for removing metal from the edge. More for taking the burr off an edge and 'honing'.

It sounds like you need to put a new edge on your knife which you can do with stones or a sharpener. If there's a 'King of Knives' shop in your local shopping centre go in and have a look at the different kinds of sharpeners.

I got a Füri 'Fingers' sharpening kit about 18 months ago, on line. It's awesome and my knives have never been sharper but before that I used a set of graded sharpening stones.

Cheers, Slinky

• 2 weeks later...

Vote 3 for the Wusthof Classic. I picked one up about 5 years ago at DJs for 75% off so it was a true bargain. Time I took it to get a pro sharpen but it is flexible and does skinning & filleting over ribs beautifully.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Marttiini Fisherman's Double Combo from a shop in Finland. Cost 68 Euro shipped. Comes in one leather sheath. It's got a utility knife & small filleting knife. I think Rapala used to rebrand these.

Hi I have a 9" dexter great fillet knife, but my favourite is my old dad's

christ knows how old it is,Iam in 60's he had it when I was toddler,it's pretty thin now

but what an edge,about three rubs either side of sandstone then three swipes

either side of diamond steel ,then U can fillet allday.

cheers Rick.