Good Tailor, Salmon, Flathead And A Big Flounder!

james7

It’s been a tough couple of months for me personally, but I managed to get out fishing yesterday with my mate Syd in his boat. It was a break I really needed and it ended up one of the best trips this year.

We started trolling along the cliffs of the National Park (as we usually do). I was trying my “home made skirt lure”. I didn’t spare any expense as you can see from the photo. I only used the highest quality plastic Myer shopping bag and some foil. Despite what it looks like, it actually swam through the water quite well and didn't spin.

post-4381-038590200 1285731250_thumb.jpg

We couldn’t find anything, no bonito, salmon, kingies or tailor and were just about to give up when Syd caught this ripper tailor.

post-4381-013533400 1285731274_thumb.jpg

It was a tad under 60cm, a pb for Syd. To say he was rapt would be an understatement. Unfortunately, my “special lure” didn’t get any strikes so I’ll have to try it again next time.

We headed down along the Royal National Park and saw these blokes.

post-4381-038619000 1285731294_thumb.jpg

They appeared to be wearing wetsuits, but we weren’t close enough to see exactly what type of craft they were in. It was very strange looking indeed.

Also saw a couple of keen blokes in yaks. One of them either had a big fish or the bottom judging by the bend in his rod.

post-4381-052357200 1285731323_thumb.jpg

Anyway, we continued down the coast passing this cliff waterfall. I never tire of seeing things like that. It was so good to be on the water again forgetting the problems of the last few months.

post-4381-021748900 1285731348_thumb.jpg

We drifted for an hour or two picking up some nice flatties amongst a heap of small ones. A good sign for the future I suppose.

Around lunchtime, I thought I was pulling up a lump of weed when to my surprise I found a huge flounder instead. It was my time to be rapt!

Syd had some real fun when a shark grabbed one of his flatties when he was pulling it up. The battle lasted about 5 minutes and gave Syd's Spinfisher 950 a good work out. It was just luck that the shark grabbed the only "heavy" outfit. Just below the surface the shark let go. We weren't sure what type of shark it was, but it certainly had some power. Syd reckons it was about 2m but I reckon it was closer to 1.5m. Anyway, I got most of the excitement on video. By "excitement", I mean Syd swearing and grunting and his rod bending and the drag screaming ... and a lot more swearing.

The wind picked up so we headed home. Along the way, we saw a massive bait school getting smashed. We trolled for a while (until the dolphins arrived), with Syd picking up two decent salmon. The biggest one being another pb for him.

Here's Syd with his two pb salmon.

post-4381-051016700 1285731410_thumb.jpg

Syd's pb tailor ...

post-4381-099005600 1285731501_thumb.jpg

and two of the best flatties (both mine).

post-4381-009740100 1285731560_thumb.jpg

Syd on the day won the "Peter vs Syd flathead comp", but I scored the two biggest.

But of course you'll all agree that the fish of the trip was my big flounder. I even let Syd hold it in the photo. If you look carefully, you can see the look of jealousy in his eyes.

post-4381-088507700 1285731661_thumb.jpg

It was great to be on the water again, fantastic conditions and a few good fish.

post-4381-035973700 1285731875_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

We seem to have made poor Syd very self-conscious now ... where's the traditional blue/white striped shirt? :biggrin2:

What a terrific session. A great tailor for Syd and a beaut flounder for you Peter. A top feed of fish for your trouble. I'm curious to see if the 'shopping bag' lure accounts for some big females :074:

Good to see you back on the water mate. Chat to you soon

Cheers

Skip

Hi Peter, I was out yesterday as well, those guys you saw in that small craft were spear fishing close to the rocks from little Marley and all the way back to Jibon point, they pulled some Beauty's, I was watching them from a distance.

Well done on a great day out.

regards Basil

It’s been a tough couple of months for me personally, but I managed to get out fishing yesterday with my mate Syd in his boat. It was a break I really needed and it ended up one of the best trips this year.

We started trolling along the cliffs of the National Park (as we usually do). I was trying my “home made skirt lure”. I didn’t spare any expense as you can see from the photo. I only used the highest quality plastic Myer shopping bag and some foil. Despite what it looks like, it actually swam through the water quite well and didn't spin.

post-4381-038590200 1285731250_thumb.jpg

We couldn’t find anything, no bonito, salmon, kingies or tailor and were just about to give up when Syd caught this ripper tailor.

post-4381-013533400 1285731274_thumb.jpg

It was a tad under 60cm, a pb for Syd. To say he was rapt would be an understatement. Unfortunately, my “special lure” didn’t get any strikes so I’ll have to try it again next time.

We headed down along the Royal National Park and saw these blokes.

post-4381-038619000 1285731294_thumb.jpg

They appeared to be wearing wetsuits, but we weren’t close enough to see exactly what type of craft they were in. It was very strange looking indeed.

Also saw a couple of keen blokes in yaks. One of them either had a big fish or the bottom judging by the bend in his rod.

post-4381-052357200 1285731323_thumb.jpg

Anyway, we continued down the coast passing this cliff waterfall. I never tire of seeing things like that. It was so good to be on the water again forgetting the problems of the last few months.

post-4381-021748900 1285731348_thumb.jpg

We drifted for an hour or two picking up some nice flatties amongst a heap of small ones. A good sign for the future I suppose.

Around lunchtime, I thought I was pulling up a lump of weed when to my surprise I found a huge flounder instead. It was my time to be rapt!

Syd had some real fun when a shark grabbed one of his flatties when he was pulling it up. The battle lasted about 5 minutes and gave Syd's Spinfisher 950 a good work out. It was just luck that the shark grabbed the only "heavy" outfit. Just below the surface the shark let go. We weren't sure what type of shark it was, but it certainly had some power. Syd reckons it was about 2m but I reckon it was closer to 1.5m. Anyway, I got most of the excitement on video. By "excitement", I mean Syd swearing and grunting and his rod bending and the drag screaming ... and a lot more swearing.

The wind picked up so we headed home. Along the way, we saw a massive bait school getting smashed. We trolled for a while (until the dolphins arrived), with Syd picking up two decent salmon. The biggest one being another pb for him.

Here's Syd with his two pb salmon.

post-4381-051016700 1285731410_thumb.jpg

Syd's pb tailor ...

post-4381-099005600 1285731501_thumb.jpg

and two of the best flatties (both mine).

post-4381-009740100 1285731560_thumb.jpg

Syd on the day won the "Peter vs Syd flathead comp", but I scored the two biggest.

But of course you'll all agree that the fish of the trip was my big flounder. I even let Syd hold it in the photo. If you look carefully, you can see the look of jealousy in his eyes.

post-4381-088507700 1285731661_thumb.jpg

It was great to be on the water again, fantastic conditions and a few good fish.

post-4381-035973700 1285731875_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Hi peter and syd top catch as always.Gotta love the home made lure imagine bagging out on a bag lure :074:

Syd i still haven,t tried the aldi lures you told me were great?Still yet to swim the old bags :074:

The fish of the round table, mate congrats to you and Syd on a top outing, love your pics and as always a great report.

Good to see you out there again Pete, I think you are now the official flounder hog with 1, 2, and 3 in the records..

Great report and fish there Pete....I reckon you should dedicate that lure to Malcom Douglas, looks just like one I saw him make with some rope and alfoil many years back...his worked on Barra....now you've got an excuse to do a top end trip and nail a barra with your home made lure... :thumbup::thumbup:

I'm curious to see if the 'shopping bag' lure accounts for some big females

Good one Hodgey! ... and by "big females" you do mean "fish" don't you? :074:

Great report and fish there Pete....I reckon you should dedicate that lure to Malcom Douglas, looks just like one I saw him make with some rope and alfoil many years back...his worked on Barra....now you've got an excuse to do a top end trip and nail a barra with your home made lure...

You're right Poddy Trapper, I remember seeing Malcom Douglas years ago making lures out of all sorts of things and having great success.

Its good to see someone making their own lures which i do as well but i think you should start with a plain rubber skirt and work from that which i have plenty (hundreds) at home and willing to give you some and maybe put our ideas together and come up with a top design. We can call it the P+G LURE.

Cheers George.

That sounds like a good idea George! :thumbup:

The way this lure making thing started was that one night a few weeks ago, Syd and I were having a "couple" of drinks, discussing who could make the best lure. So then and there we decided to have a "lure making competition". We had to each make a lure out of "recycled" materials. We also only had about 15 minutes to make the lure.

Unfortunately Syd left his lure at home this trip, so the real competition will be on next time to see who can catch the first fish.

Here are our two lures:

post-4381-068585400 1285832538_thumb.jpg

This is mine, the classic "Myers shopping bag" model. A sure winner! :thumbup:

post-4381-035472000 1285832558_thumb.jpg

Here is Syd's, made out of a bit of packing foam - very ... classy? :wacko:

I'll let you know which lure works best and actually catches a fish, thus alowing eternal bragging rights for the maker - who will then be known as the "Master lure maker", or "Lord of the lure"! :074:

Cheers

Peter

I am waiting with baited breath (pardon the pun) to see how those lures go
:074:
Aaah.. the gold old round table... almost as important, if not more then the Oval office

Very good Cartman! :thumbup: Syd and I now judge the success of the trip by how much of the table we cover.

awesome flounder and chopper mates!!! how big did they go????

G'day IVZ350. Syd's tailor was 59cm. The two salmon that Syd caught were about 56cm and 58cm, and my flounder went 40cm.

Cheers

Peter

Hey Peter,

Have been eagerly awaiting one of your detailed reports with photos.Glad to hear you managed to get back out in the water...

You have some nice flathead's there, here's hoping we have a cracker of a summer.

Jas