PB Tarwhine

Mousse

Hello Raiders,

Went for a fish today at my spot off the rocks in Botany Bay. I usually target Drummer, but they've been a little quiet for me lately.

When I fish for Drummer, I've had the best success when I use the smallest possible sinker, straight down to the hook and Cunje as bait, and bread Burley mixed with a little chopped up weed. It's been a simple tried and tested formula.

But the last five or six visits to the same spot - I've had to contend with either too flat seas, or way to much swell movement to be able to keep my lightly weighted baits in the zone. I have however been landing Bream, Grouper and Tarwhine using exactly the same technique and rig - but having the heavier lead to get the bait down.

I've struggled to land any legal drummer the last few weeks, but at least I've a had a couple of sessions where the grouper have shown up - so today I decided to give myself the best chance of trying to land a beast by collecting a few Urchins and trying to concentrate on the Grouper only.

So I arrived dead on low tide and again - the sea was anything but flat! I still decided to stick to my plan - so I cut up a bit of red and green weed, crushed up some urchins and found some red crabs. Since I caught a 40cm and 50cm grouper the last couple of sessions while fishing for Drummer using Cunje - I also grabbed half a dozen cunje for bait as well.

The first hour was a carbon copy of my last two visits - I just couldn't get my bait down where I wanted it. So upgraded the lead and started to get bites. Drummer! :mfr_lol: I target Drummer I get grouper. I target Grouper and I get Drummer. They were all just on or under legal so they went back.

Then, alternating between crab and cunje - I feel a different bite. I was on and I could feel some weight but it wasn't a Drummer or a Grouper. After about a 30 second decent fight up comes my personal best Tarwhine! A smidgeon under 40cm and very fat!

Even though I was more than pleased to land this fat guy - I'm still left scratching my head on what the hell I'm doing wrong. I target one species and land another! A 50cm Grouper while targeting Drummer, Drummer and a 39cm Tarwhine while targeting Grouper.

post-18191-0-22913700-1367570093_thumb.jpg

Congrats, definitely call that 43 cm. Try targeting tarwhine next time!

Haha I'll try targeting mullet and see what happens

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II via Tapatalk mobile

That's a cracker tarwhine! They pull hard than bream, taste better as they have fatter fillets. I fish for them and let line out as they take the bait as sometimes they pick it up and drop it if they feel weight.

Thats a great tarwhine!

My favorite fish!!!

I catch them quite regularly in the high tides near my place.

They have a distinctive bite and can give you a decent fight as I found out on 5 pd line then I got snapped off.

They taste great also.

I usually wait 5 -10 seconds after the initial bite then set the hook..as was mentioned above they will drop the bait sometimes

Thanks guys. For some reason I thought measurement was from nose to the fork in the tail.

Even happier now!

Does That mean you've been throwing over size fish away :074:

Haha probably. ..the idiot I am!

Usually if a fish is small enough to need measuring to see if its legal..it gets thrown back before measuring anyway.

Like this guy:

post-18191-13676229075713_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mousse