Mahi Mahi Frenzy

dnove01

After reading the weather forecasts for today yesterday Swordie, Des, and I all had the same plan for today - Go wide for a big blue. I was just about to text him to see if he wanted to go and he was already calling me to go with him. Off we go this morning Tiagras and Internationals all ready to go. We skipped grabbing live baits for dollies on the way out of Botany since we hit the inevitable M5 traffic and to the first fad we go( or so we thought)! Trolled for 20 minutes and browsed countless websites to find coordinates but we just couldn't manage. Trolled 4 rods to the peak, 12 mile, botany wide fad, to the shelf for a bit and went back in the reverse order for absolutely nothing. Great water colour, temp, not much life out there for us today. Not even another boat!! So we decide to troll around looking for this mysterious fad. After a half hour of everyone giving opinions of where it should be Swordie's eagle eye spots it in the distance. Before anyone else can get their rigs he's already into very nice sized dollies and now mayhem ensues. 50 wides get tossed into the rocket launchers, Marlin lures are still on the floor and there's pillies getting tossed frantically for burley. For the next 2 hours we fished the close fad and had fish no smaller than probably 55cm with the biggest going maybe 85-90cm? ( also weighed 3+ kg and biggest of the day ?) Caught nearly 40 between the 3 of us keeping 20 in the esky. If was insane fishing combined with flat seas and no wind, but the best part was we were only 10 minutes from the heads.

many funny moments throughout the last 2 hours and will probably be rememered for years to come. 3 or 4 triple hookups and lots of blood on the deck, gunnels, and I don't know how but on the roof of the cabin as well?!?!? Worst move of the day goes to Dez for not controlling his fish and letting flail all over the boat. It doesn't sound that bad but since I'm the one who got love tapped between the legs while putting my fish in the esky he gets my vote.

post-256-0-28721000-1459333406_thumb.jpg

Thanks for a great day out Dez and Stewy, can't wait to bloody up my boat as well hopefully sooner than later!!

Edited by swordfisherman

The meal was sensational

Here is a pic of the 3 of them, working together cleaning and their weapons of mass destruction heh heh

attachicon.gifmen at work.jpg attachicon.gifMEN SM.jpg attachicon.gifweapons.jpg

Not sure about the lads, but the boat sure is pretty! haha

Sounds like an awesome day out, love that you found the fish in close, it makes the trip home that much smoother!

As the stewy and Dennis said it was an interesting day. Trolled all morning for no results, water temp was 26 degrees, Checked the BB wide fad but no dollies, maybe too much current which was nearly pulling the fad under. Tried finding the inner fad (Sydney East fad) but was not on the spot marked in my gps, Googled it but google had it way north of us. Anyway we found it using an educated guess and Stewy's eagle eyes and the rest is history.

I contacted the Department of Primary Industry and it turns out they published the wrong coordinates for this fad although the map has the correct coordinates if you click on it. They were surprised that no one had reported this and said they would correct it.

Kept 20 fish between the 3 of you? Where do you keep them? Surely they don't get eaten that fast haha. Great trip by the looks of it though :fisher:

Most fishos have neighbours and family who are more than willing to take a feed of fresh fish whenever presented with that opportunity :) :)

Guest 4myson

Well done guys !!! By the looks of your shirt Stewy looks like you did the most damage out there ..... CONGRATS on the Mahi Fly Record!!!

Well done guys.

Sounds like a heap of fun mayhem was had.

I LOVE eating Dollies. They are great fresh & keep well when frozen.

I bet you enjoyed your feed & will do so until they are all gone.

Well done on the fly Stewy. I can just imagine what was coming out of your

mouth when you were hooked up, as well for the rest of the session!!