I'm As Cranky As Hell!

mrmoshe

I'm as cranky as hell. I'm down at Narra Lake tonight still trying to hook one of those largish lizards that lurk in there.

About 20 metres away, a bloke with his wife sitting behind him is hooking way undersize bream and even smaller grunters.

I watched him for over an hour and he looks around each time and saunters up to his wife who also looks around and quickly hides each fish under a plastic bag, then looks around and transfers them to a backpack which obviously has a bucket inside.

He must have caught at least 20 of these tiddlers in the hour I was watching him.

I went up to him after an hour of watching this and asked how was the fishing..His answer..."haven't caught a thing mate'

My blood almost boiled!!

I had my mobile with me but I've been meaning to put the Fisheries Hotline number in my phone book but kept forgetting.

It's in there now and if I see this kind of thing again, I won't hesitate to drop a dime on these mongrels.

I was catching the same smallish bream and releasing..I even made a point of waiting until he was watching me once to show him that I release and how it's done...didn't seem to do any good though..he just kept on dragging out fish after fish and squirrelling them away...

Geez, but that makes me mad!!

BTW. I didn't get any lizards. but will keep trying.

Pete.

for your sake Pete, dont go up to the Entrance :1wallbash::badmood:

Was very quiet on that front on Sunday after the lovely ladies from the Fisheries booked a few of em :074:

Don't go to Clifton Gardens either!

Just as a matter of interest, do any of you know how long it might take for fisheries to respond to a call?

We spoke with the fisheries inspectors at great length on the weekend and they are so understaffed its not funny :mad3:. Two ladies that have the whole Central Coast to watch over and a few volunteers .If you ring them direct on the mobile number you have a much better chance of getting some action than using the 1800 number which is not monitored 24 hrs a day :thumbdown: .If you have any queries call them direct on 0419185525 and you will get the Sydney Fisheries office (Amy Hibbard),hope that helps a bit .

Cheers Swordfisherman

Ps The inspectors want to hear from you all and will do their best to assist in any way possible

In all honesty I think this goes on in all the regions where there are small fish nurseries .The need for more inspectors is warranted and its about time the Government took some notice of what is going on around the place and made a concerted effort to help keep our vulnerable fish stocks intact for our kids and their kids as well :biggrin2:.Educate them first and if that doesnt work slap them with very hefty fines and confiscate all the gear and trappings they have :thumbup:

STEPPING OFF MY SOAP BOX NOW :074:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Hi all,

feelings are very mutual. Went for a late fish of Lilli Pilli wharf the other night, and two blokes x and y did the same, I just wanted to say them stop taking small fish that you can't really bloody enjoy!!!

I had the shits big time, so I was flicking sp's around and a few times deliberately got myself tangled up with them just to give them the shits.

Absolute low life bludgers that just take for no reason,,,,!! :ranting2:

Anyhow thanks for the mobile I will get the local port hkng number and store it so these moorons can start to understand the meaning of sustainability.

o/out wd

For everyones saftey and well being do not attemp to take matters into your own hands .Even if you feel you want to.This is a "matter for the Authorities "and they and only they can do something to remedy this tragic set of circumstances .

The best thing you can do is be vigilant and call the Fisheries officers and keep telling them and maybe someone higher up will get the message how widespread it is and BLOODY WELL DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT

Cheers Swordfisherman

ive found that moving within 5m of them helps to get the message across,if you notice people doing the wrong thing dont be scared to tell them,maybe they dont know its wrong to catch undersize fish(but most usually do) and against the law.usally this works.if they still persist make it 2m away.they'll get the message.(ive even accidently kicked over a bucket full of small bream taken from narra lake which happened to land back in the water.what are the chances of that.) :bump0ee:

I may be being a bit silly but has anyone ever seen a sign that says : "Possessing undersize fish is illegal and punishable with fines up to $10,000" anywhere on any jetties, wharfs, or boat ramps ........ because I haven't and most of the people taking undersize fish simply don't know any better. It's about time the government started practicing what it preeches. If you are driving down a street with no speed signs and a copper pulls a speed gun on you, how fast should you be going? No signs No comeback. I'm not supporting these idiots as I consider myself a 95% catch & release fisherman, but something has to be done to educate these people. Fishing in my opinion should have the same process as obtaining a Car Licence ...... you do a course and are educated in what you should and shouldn't do ..... weather you choose to do so is then decided by the individual. All of you people who take home your bait bags, smokers who don't chuck your butts in the water .... good on you because you are making a diiference. All the people who litter our waterways and kill undersize fish.... then you need some serious help because you are definately not serious about Fishing and responsibility that goes with it. :thumbdown: Oh yeah .... have a good weekend and catch some fish!!!! I know I will be :biggrin2:

Only heard this second hand from a regular down at Narra Lake a few weeks ago, but some dufus was catching toads and thought it was fun to feed them to the ever present pelicans that are always at the lake.

The local fisho inspector busted this guy and gave him a $3000 on the spot fine and confiscated his gear...Well done in my opinion!!

Fancy some idiot doing that..probably poisoned the poor bird too.

Some people!!! :1badmood:

Pete.

ive even accidently kicked over a bucket full of small bream taken from narra lake which happened to land back in the water.what are the chances of that.

Gold!

I think everyone shud start doing that, if they see illegal fishing.. :074:

Guys, I can't believe that I didn't notice this post earlier. Jewnut, I know exactly what you're saying about the Entrance - I've got a couple of stories that I don't really want to mention 'cause they make me too cranky. Bloody imbeciles, they are!!! :ranting2: If everyone thought like we all do, this wouldn't be a problem. I love the Entrance like a child, and every time I see cheating bastards, I feel violated. It sickens me that this happens elsewhere.

Flattieman.

Hi all Raiders ,I jumped onto HIGH TIDE this morning and talked with Kieran Rikki about the problem of a lack of Fisheries Inspectors and the need for more education .I also told them about the lack of monitoring of the 1800 number and they suggested later in the show that maybe retirees or someone similar be asked to monitor this number 24 hours a day.They agreed it is a monumental problem and needs to be addresssed as soon as possible .So at least it has been aired on the radio now and brought to many more peoples attention :biggrin2:

And for my troubles I scored a couple of tickets to the Boat Show :yahoo:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Hi all Raiders ,I jumped onto HIGH TIDE this morning and talked with Kieran Rikki about the problem of a lack of Fisheries Inspectors and the need for more education .I also told them about the lack of monitoring of the 1800 number and they suggested later in the show that maybe retirees or someone similar be asked to monitor this number 24 hours a day.They agreed it is a monumental problem and needs to be addresssed as soon as possible .So at least it has been aired on the radio now and brought to many more peoples attention :biggrin2:

And for my troubles I scored a couple of tickets to the Boat Show :yahoo:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Well done, Stewy!!! Thanks for that! :thumbup:

Flattieman.

I'm as cranky as hell. I'm down at Narra Lake tonight still trying to hook one of those largish lizards that lurk in there.

About 20 metres away, a bloke with his wife sitting behind him is hooking way undersize bream and even smaller grunters.

I watched him for over an hour and he looks around each time and saunters up to his wife who also looks around and quickly hides each fish under a plastic bag, then looks around and transfers them to a backpack which obviously has a bucket inside.

He must have caught at least 20 of these tiddlers in the hour I was watching him.

I went up to him after an hour of watching this and asked how was the fishing..His answer..."haven't caught a thing mate'

My blood almost boiled!!

I had my mobile with me but I've been meaning to put the Fisheries Hotline number in my phone book but kept forgetting.

It's in there now and if I see this kind of thing again, I won't hesitate to drop a dime on these mongrels.

I was catching the same smallish bream and releasing..I even made a point of waiting until he was watching me once to show him that I release and how it's done...didn't seem to do any good though..he just kept on dragging out fish after fish and squirrelling them away...

Geez, but that makes me mad!!

BTW. I didn't get any lizards. but will keep trying.

Pete.

I have experienced the same thing a fair few times with them..

I remember on day they took about 200 Yakkas from a rock fishing spot I was at.. (Mados aswell) :puke:

I was fuming apparently they just crush them all up and make fish cakes and now there are not many yakkas left in the spot and the ones that are are very hard to catch..

Edited by crazedfisherdude

Guest Sea Jay

Hey guys i was wondering if the fines that they have in place are sufficent or if anyone know what the fines are??

If the fines are high enough that will stop people all you have to do is bust 1 idiot and slap him with a massive fine then word will travel quick smart

Guest Sea Jay

Only heard this second hand from a regular down at Narra Lake a few weeks ago, but some dufus was catching toads and thought it was fun to feed them to the ever present pelicans that are always at the lake.

The local fisho inspector busted this guy and gave him a $3000 on the spot fine and confiscated his gear...Well done in my opinion!!

Fancy some idiot doing that..probably poisoned the poor bird too.

Some people!!! :1badmood:

Pete.

So what exactley was the fine for poisioning the bird or killing the fish?????

That's a great story Stewy and I felt quite good after reading it. Good on ya for helping him out.

Such a positive read and I wish more situations ended up that way. Great to see the language barriers are easily over come with a smile and a few hand signals.

Well done mate.

Cheers

So what exactley was the fine for poisioning the bird or killing the fish?????

I don't know SeaJay..I only heard this info 2nd hand from a bloke who's a regular at the Lake.

I've been trawling through the Fisheries website to find out specific fines for keeping undersize fish and othe ofences (like the bird incident) but I'm blowed if I can find anything about penalties etc. in the website.

Only thing I could find was a post from 2004 on FR Forum that stated:

“Fisheries Officers reported that they saw a large group of people fishing from the shore, appearing to keep large numbers of small fish. As fishers left the lake, they were stopped and their vehicles searched.

“In total, Fisheries Officers seized 943 fish – mostly undersized sand whiting – as well as six fishing rods and a number of eskies and buckets,” Mr Tritton said.

“The maximum penalty for these offences is a $11,000 fine and/or a three-month gaol term.

Anyone else know where to find info on penalties for fishing offences??

Pete.

I will contact Amy at Fisheries and find out exactly what the fines are and what for :thumbup:

Cheers Stewy

Many thanks Stewy..it will be great to find out specific penalties for the various offences.

I was surprised they aren't on the Fisheries website.

Cheers,

Pete.

This nice gentleman had no idea of the legal size of fishes and I think that information in other languages would be appropriate to help everyone understand this perplexing subject :thumbup: .He duly released the small bream and it swam away none the worse for its ordeal :biggrin2: .So everyone that is doing the undersize fish thing may not even know they are breaking the law

maybe get hold of a few spare stickers to give to these folks when you meet them.