Bream Problem On Hardbody

powersalt

hi guys,

i fished the cooks often and have been using sp to target breams.No doubt its an effective way. But i believe it would be pretty nice if i could target them on harbodies as well. So recently i went to buy some known bream catcher hardbodies (ecogear sx 40 and 48). I've bn trying some different retrieves such as straight steady retrieve and jerky retrieve but to no avail :( . i noe tat those breams r there cause when i switched back to sp i would sometimes detect bites n perhaps score a few as well. so , are there any special retrieve technique tats effective for breams?

thanx

post-1888-1145300655_thumb.jpgUse a pak ratz 45 or 65 depending on depth. Wind till you get your depth. Stop for a couple of secs and let the lure rise a few cms. short jab with the rod and wind once. Stop for a couple of secs and let the lure rise a few cms. short jab with the rod and wind once........ mostly gets hit when the lure is rising

Got this beauty on good fri and a bit later another one of the same size on the pak ratz 65 about 2m form the rod tip

Ecogear SX-40's & 48's are probably the most effective HB around for bream. I had most success by using a pause. Just one turn of the handle then a couple seconds pause then continue. I mainly fished them against the current also which allows for very slow retreives.

Here's a 40+cm fish taken on the SX-40 in colour 306

post-1-1145306473_thumb.jpg

saga,

tats a nice bream overthere, didnt noe tat bream will hit such a big HB. btw thanx for the info dude.

Ken A,

by saying tat u fished against the current does tat mean tat u r retrieving it against the current or casting it against the current?

thanx

The best piece of advice i can give is SLOW DOWN.

Premium lures like SX40s etc are finely tuned and have a very seductive shimmy action. Make the most of this, The lure is designed to imitate an "easy meal", in the way of a sick or injured baitfish, so try to incorperate this in your retrieve.

As a begining point, start with a slow constant retrieve, just enough to make the lure swim corectly. Many fish have been caught this way, and it is a good way to get the feel of hardbody lures. Then after you catch a few bream, both your confidence will grow and you will have developed the fundimentals for hardbody bream luring.

From that point start to add pauses, and movements in the rod tip. You will soon discover what feels comfortible and what works.

Continue experimenting, as bream fishing is a constant learning curve, Try different lures, different retrieves, different spots till you find what works on those fish on that day, then do it all again tomorrow.

The challenge is what makes it addictive.

Also fish light, 3-5ft of 4-8lb leader is all you should need to stop most bream, you dont win them all but it makes it all the more satisfying when when you do land a horse. Bream can be quite timid at times, especialy in clear water so "Think Stelth".

Good luck. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Dan

Iv alos been hooked on hardbodies of late.

The main ones iv been using so far is a smilin jack (in pink lol), attack lure and halco scorpion.

Being in the cheeper side of the market im not too worried about loosing them compaired to the ecogear. Which gave me alot more confidence with my casting around snaggy areas.

Everytime i buy a new lure i give them a few cast in the shallows to watch how it swims.

My normal retrieve is a slow constant retrieve with pauses ever metre or so with a few twitches for good messure.

but most importantly have fun...and good luck!

My favourite bream lure is the Halco Scorpion 35 Sneaky (Suspending). That's the lil' one with the straight bib that Bushy designed. The chrome gold with orange back pattern, is the most potent one for bream. If you manage to find it in *****, which I have never managed to since it's always sold out, it's under $8 so it's a good deal, at tackle stores most sell it for $12. :1fishing1:

Edited by swordfisherman

I have found that when using hard bodies for bream the slower the retrieve the better. As Ken mentioned in his reply earlier pause twitch wind one turn pause wind twitch pause twitch wind pause.

Did I mention that retrieving slowly was important....

Any way that is what I have found works best for me.

Cheers

Trev

• 2 weeks later...

hey i seem to have a problem too wih my ecogear SX40 would the reason be the waters to deep?

i normally fish in around 3-5 mtr water(i think) and at times it doesn't seem like its diving to its 1.5 m depth

i have only managed to catch 2 chopper tailors on it in about 4 trips

(was catching bream with bait and middle harbour was the place)

Cheers, Snapn

Edited by Snapn

• 4 weeks later...

Hi powersalt .

the Hbs i normally use are small lipless crankbaits like the River2sea baby vibe 35s.

i have found the best way to get good resalts with these is the let them sink down to the bottom and then use small rips like when useing plastics one other thing i have found is the bream like to suck them off the bottom i normaly use 15-20 second dead sticks on the bottom. HTH also i have attached a pic of my fave colors.

deacon

post-852-1150117419_thumb.jpg