Fish Eaters Or

Guest johblow

Guest johblow

Im interested to know who does and doesnt eat fish out of all of us. If you dont, why not, and if you do, what is your favourite? Hats off to those who throw back fish regularly of course - they are doing fish a favour.

I myself love fish, and couldnt go home empty handed after a good days fishing. But i understand, that actually eating the fish is a small part of the overall experience. Theres the relaxation, the hunting, the thrill of the chase/fight/catch etc etc.

The whole instinct and psych of the fishing experience is very interesting i think. From what i have seen women and men fishos get the same sort of thrills from fishing.

Im interested to know who does and doesnt eat fish out of all of us. If you dont, why not, and if you do, what is your favourite? Hats off to those who throw back fish regularly of course - they are doing fish a favour.

I myself love fish, and couldnt go home empty handed after a good days fishing. But i understand, that actually eating the fish is a small part of the overall experience. Theres the relaxation, the hunting, the thrill of the chase/fight/catch etc etc.

The whole instinct and psych of the fishing experience is very interesting i think. From what i have seen women and men fishos get the same sort of thrills from fishing.

I eat and enjoy fish. I only keep what I'm going to eat, though - anything else is promptly released. I'm definitely one for the maintenance of healthy fish stocks. Seafood is actually my favourite food overall and whenever I go to a restaurant, I order it. I have to say, though, that my favourite eating fish so far is tailor when cooked by my grandmother. Mmm... Gets me hungry just thinking about it... :biggrin2:

Flattieman.

I enjoy a feed of fish myself. I really enjoy Coral Trout , Red Emporer & Jacks. I love eating Dollies over 10kg & I'm very partial to big Whiting & Sea Garfish.

I don't like eating fish that has been frozen so I keep enough for a feed & that's it.

I think all fishos fish for a main reason. I reckon the top categories are:

Getting away from the :wife:

Relaxation

Sport/hobby

Cooking and eating fish.

For me personally, my main driving force is to catch and eat fish. It's like a lucky dip and rather exciting to not know what you will be eating for dinner that night! (unless you are crap at fishing like me and end up frying the left over bait!)

I wouldn't keep something that was going to go to waste. I know it may sound silly but I would feel guilty catching something that I wasn't going to eat full stop!! I know a lot of fishos get a little defensive with the old 'cruelty' line but hey, if somethings got nerve endings and a brain, it's gonna feel pain!! I reckon Rexie should "catch 'em, kiss 'em where it's gonna be hurting (right on the lips even if it's a Jack!) and then throw them away (I guess it's the nurturing mother in me!)

So I fish for my cave-woman instincts!

Anyone want some good recipes??

Coz

:)

I dont mind fish every now and again but to be honest there are times where i just couldnt be bothered scaling gutting etc. Its all too hard :1prop: So because im lazy nearly everying goes back.

I only ever take one maybe two small flatties and thats it. Fish tastes to fishy for me ! :1prop:

I fish primarily for sport so I tend to release most of my catch. I will keep the occasional dioxin bream or flathead if my friends or family ask nicely tho :biggrin2:

Been finding it very hard to kill a good size bream lately tho cos I just found out one at about 40cms is as old as I am (nearly 25)! Feel sorry for the little guys if they have made it so far just to be brought undone by my (lack of) skill with a soft plastics!

Fav seafood to eat:

1. Calamari (Kingies be darned! :tease: )

2. Kingies (because of #1 I don't tend to get many of these)

3. Yellowtail sashimi

4. Slimies/Yellowtail smoked

5. Prawns

I too like to eat fish, but also only keep whats necessary - so when ur the only one in the family that eats fish it usually means more see another day.

Gotta love the chicken of the sea - flattie

mmmmmmmm.....snapper

Mowrong aint too bad either

heres my order,

1. deep sea perch

2. flatties (sand/deep sea variety)

3. kings

4. snapper

5. yellowfin tuna

steve fish ive caught many bonito but only used them as bait how do you cook them up??? or do you at them sashimi!!

cheers pk

Don't eat fish and never have, cant remember ever putting a peice in my mouth, maybe i had a bad experience as a kid or something, cant remember, the other half hates fish also so all my fish go to family or go back in, most of the time though the people i take will take some fish. I try to release as many kings as i can so other fisho's can enjoy them.

Species like dollies which are in abundant supply and grow at a alarming rate i will bring home and spread out to neighbours, family etc. I rarely release dollies, people tend to love eating them too much.

i havent had dollies yet looking foward to it!!

i forgot to mention good old johny dory, beautiful table fish!! hopefuly some will enter the harbour in numbers his year following the massess of bait around in sydney . has anyone noticed but the harbour is full of bait, yakkas, and prawns freely swimming around as well as plenty of mullet but its been a bit quite for all the bait around!!

i actually dont mind winter cause there arent the numers and the ones who do fish (not all tend to be more experienced) so you dont see AS many undersized fish taken and hooligans out there!!

cheers pk

Don't eat fish and never have, cant remember ever putting a peice in my mouth,

I can remember being the same, always catching them and never eating any.

Then one day I had a Marlin fillet with a spicy italian sauce, mate just like a piece of tender steak.

Its all in the way its cooked I reckon. :beersmile:

steve fish ive caught many bonito but only used them as bait how do you cook them up???

cheers pk

people sometimes confuse bonito and stripies.

i beer batter em or chuck them on the barbie, and the flesh comes up white and delish. so i have never used one for bait except livies, but you can still eat livies if nothing else does. :biggrin2:

beer batter recipe,

1 cup of flour

1 cup of beer

1 teaspoon salt

1 egg

use it straight away.

cheers Steve

I love eating fish but like Ken fresh not frozen and growing up in QLD coral trout was my favorite followed by threadfin and blue salmon and some of the smaller lutjanids we used to catch like spanish flag hussar and moses perch Down here in sydney summer beach whiting winter we will chase some calamari keep the bodies for entree and use the tenticles to catch the main course of leatherjackets and another favorite is bream caught of the beach also flathead are good if I have to feed a whole tribe If we cant eat the fish within a couple of days it is very carefully handled and released

If I'm fishing with the boys and we're chasing flatties and whiting I'll keep some, I mean, all, for a feed and definately keep bream and tailor off the beach. :biggrin2:

I don't mind freezing fish and I actually like flathead deep fried after been thawed out. They just seem juicier. :biggrin2:

Other than that it's easier to buy some lemon flavoured basa fillets in the frozen section at Woolies, less cleaning and just so much easier to prepare. :1prop: I'm getting lazier as I get older. :05:

cheers

Hooky

If I'm fishing with the boys and we're chasing flatties and whiting I'll keep some, I mean, all, for a feed and definately keep bream and tailor off the beach. :biggrin2:

I don't mind freezing fish and I actually like flathead deep fried after been thawed out. They just seem juicier. :biggrin2:

Other than that it's easier to buy some lemon flavoured basa fillets in the frozen section at Woolies, less cleaning and just so much easier to prepare. :1prop: I'm getting lazier as I get older. :05:

cheers

Hooky

mate you eat that basa do you know the background of these fish???

interesting on the bonito ive always used them as cut baits as they are darkish fleshed, i will definately give them a try caught plenyt this summer so next time i come across them i will remeber to try one

cheers for the tips!!

cheers pk

mate you eat that basa do you know the background of these fish???

cheers pk

Yep, certainly know about the background and I'm not too concerned.

Better than eating flatties and prawns from out of the Parra River in my opinion, at least the basa are certified safe for comsumption when imported.

At least we haven't been told to limit the amount of fish we consume from Woolies frozen food department and that should count for something.

Each to their own I guess. :biggrin2:

I guess it comes down to the question: Do you really know what you are getting on your plate when you ask for something specific, my guess is probably not. :05:

cheers

Hooky

Guest Saqa

Love eating fish. My local fishshop carries spainiards, spangled emporers, potato cods, coral trouts and I get a big whole one at least once a week. Makes for some nice meals.

Fish I catch around sydney. Blackfish would be my fav eating. Give the bream to my mom sometimes and let most other things go