Home Made Lures... W Pics

macca

G'day All,

just wodnering if anyone here has given home-made lures a crakc before.... i was sitting at work yesterday and formulated a plan in my head that i just couldnt shake, so as soon as i got home it was out to the shed with some materials i rustled up to have a go at making a popper out of a plastic cork...

i set up the dremel so i could use it as a makeshift lathe with the cork threaded onto a screw put into the bit of the dremel... with this rotating nicely i then worked the shape i was after into it with a few files and sandpaper (the plastic cork worked suprisingly well with this technique)... i also then worked a small 'scoop' into the front of the popper... im not entirely happy with the shape, but its a good start, a next attempt may include a slimmer design...

i then threaded a peice of wire through the centre of the lure for attatchment to main line and trebles... i am slightly concerned about the strength of the wire and contemplating other materials i could use. a split ring was then attatched to the rear wire loop and treble hooks to that... now i plan on just painting it/sealing it and seeing what happens...

two other things i am concerned about and thinking of adding arel;

1/ the cork, although it will def. float may absorba little bit of water and change the weight of the lure as it goes, this may mean a requirement for making it completely sealed from water.

2/ it is VERY light... im thinking it may need a little bit of weight up back to keep the front up a bit, but keep it on the water nicely also... dunno.

thanks, i hope other ppl can give me some input and maybe contribute some photos of there homemade lures.

eefe779e.jpg

eefe77ab.jpg

cheers guys,

Macca

also;

any suggestions for paintjob?

i was thinking either a white body/red head jobbie, or maybe a redfin imitation look...

Hey,

I think it looks pretty good, maybe a little thinner. Weight can be a problem, perhaps putting some split shot on the wire will help to add some weight. You could also maybe use it to strenghten the wire loop.

Peter

thanks for the input - i am a little concerned about the weight and was tyring to figure out how to attach splitshot withouth whacking the balance completley... it is yet to have a swim test though.

i was also thinking its a bit fat,but i wont worry about that until i make the next prototype...

thanks for the input - i am a little concerned about the weight and was tyring to figure out how to attach splitshot withouth whacking the balance completley... it is yet to have a swim test though.

i was also thinking its a bit fat,but i wont worry about that until i make the next prototype...

Perhaps a small barrel sinker down the middle around the wire, or a split shot on each end of the wire for even balance. You would probably want a little more weight at the back than the front to help it fly straight throught the air for best castability.

Peter

Perhaps a small barrel sinker down the middle around the wire, or a split shot on each end of the wire for even balance. You would probably want a little more weight at the back than the front to help it fly straight throught the air for best castability.

Peter

a barrel sinker down the middle sounds good... really the lure is a bit small to whack bits of split shot on (as i investigated this today)...

i made a second one which was a fair bit thinner today, painted it white with a red head, and took it out to the local boat ramp where there is a bit of structure (pontoons and rocks) and gave it a cast...

didnt catch anything, but it did consistently have large fish follow it in, bream, mullet and drummers... maybe next time :1prop:

Looks great mate, i cant wait to see them and try them out. I have found an old broom stick we can cut up.

I can see us haveing fun Makeing lures in your shed while your folks are away. :thumbup:

Looks great mate, i cant wait to see them and try them out. I have found an old broom stick we can cut up.

I can see us haveing fun Makeing lures in your shed while your folks are away. :thumbup:

for sure crawf...

by the way, it is the easiest thing to cast, really flys nicely...

Guest Saqa

mix some mettalic glitter in epoxy to give it a good finish. Nail polish can give some good results as well, Painting over the top of a peice of flyscreen can give a nice scale effect. Try blooping the poppers and you might get some decent tailor

If you want some epoxy to play with then come around I will give you a syringe full, enough to do a handfull

drill a thin hole through your material and stick a thin long bolt in it. Secure the material to the bolt with a nut and stick this in your drill. You can have good controll like this and if you use a screwdriver type of drill then you can spin it slowly to get better control while painting. Balsa is good for making lures as is ceder. Use stainless wire for hanging the trebles. secure the wire to the body with 5 min epoxy. With enough heat you can get the epoxy to flow through very thin holes

I think its great that you are tinkering with this :thumbup:

Edited by Saqa

• 4 weeks later...

A TV program showed a fisherman makeing lures from any thing he could find around a old camp site . Useing old rope, plastic bags, tin foil, tin cans, bottle tops. spent bullets caseing, bird feathers etc. And he was catchig fish with them. I dont plan on buying any more lures when all you need is a small spool of wire and fish hooks.

Can you see your mates faces . when you use your own homemade and catch fish? lol donnie

• 8 months later...

I modify my lures.....singles on metals mostly, and also add fly material on the hooks as well of the metals and diving lures I have. For sluggos, I have jigheads that I either paint with glo powder or just red, plus add eyes. This allows me to cast the sluggos further off the rocks and still keeps a great action. Also, some bodgy home made fly lures to flick at frigates. Plus white barrels coasted with heat shrink or several coats of gloss white and clear in various sizes.

DSC00717b.jpg

DSC00715b.jpg

DSC00716b.jpg

post-1591-1172544823_thumb.jpgGuys

Sorry I had a problem with my internet connection last night and it cut my post short.

We used barrel leads as lures on the rocks for years. We flatened them slightly and gave them a slight S shape to give an erratic retrieval action. We found that liquid paper was good paint them with. One big avantage was that fish head shaking made the lead lure throw up the line and the fish could not the lure weight to help dislodge the hook.

The picture attached is of homemade lures but I cannot take the credit these were made by my brother.

Cheers

Kingpig

DSC00716b.jpg

Mate that chrome/ metal lure there iwith the single is the only lure i use now, catches me just about everything i target.

I used to make my own lures by getting mister twister sp tails, the spinner off a celtaand a hook to match the size of the spinner and sp tail, i used to use them in the freshwater lakes/ponds/rivers in canberra and only every caught yellowbelly on them.

cheers james

In his book on lures for Bream Bushy says he makes his own poppers using wooden dowel plugs from the hardware store. He adds a little prop, hooks, rings, paints it and thats about it.

I am asuming these would turn out like the Heddon Tiny Torpedoes?

I have got a pic but it is hard to see.

BM