Sharks

abiasin

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could let me in on any info to catch some decent sized sharks.

Where

When

Baits etc

Any help would be appreciated as im going to plan a shark fishing trip with one of my mates in the coming weeks for a bit of heavy fun hopefully.

Looking to crack at least a 6footer if possible.

Are there any spots close to shore as my boat isnt the biggest being a 14foot fibreglass thing and if its blowing have to stay in the bays.

cheers.

Edited by Kingies till i die

first up tell me when and where so i can stay away.

same as chris said plus some tuna oil. go to the local fish shop and buy/take their waste.

the hard bit is getting the right size shark to turn up, you never know when something huge will arrive and your burley will already have it fired up.

you dont get to choose if a curious 4 foot hammerhead or 16foot white likes what you smell like

there are alot of sharks bigger than your boat in close.

i would not go sharking on anything that goes on a trailer.

good luck

you dont get to choose if a curious 4 foot hammerhead or 16foot white likes what you smell like

there are alot of sharks bigger than your boat in close.

i would not go sharking on anything that goes on a trailer.

Hmm... good point. Can I hear Jaws music in the background? Da-dum... da-dum da-dum... :1boat::1yikes:

All I know about sharks (as far as fishing for them goes) is that they're an annoying by-catch when targeting jewies. Some people target them off the beach. Just make sure you've got a lllooooooong gaff.

Flattieman.

kings till i die mate shark fishing in small boats is not advisible especially when u are chasing these fellas some sharks are placid in capture others are so eratic you wont believe i have to friends on this site that catch them and lets just say you dont get a choice on size of a shark but a 6fter of the likes of a mako or tiger or a thrasher shark will absolutley destroy your inside of your boat smashing everything on the floor and you probably on top of the seats some carefull planning is needed and a very trusty deckie most big sharks get towed rather than up over the side in small boats ive had thrasher sharks swim around me and haunt the boat for atleast 2hrs before deciding to swim off else where and perform awesome leaps out of water at back of boat before my friend paul the hermit douglas got the shits and rigged a heavy duty set up to capture him il get the photo and post it it went 75kg 12ft wont be long check tomorrow il get photo off him ...

Around now is the time when you get the little makos coming up the trail and quite often will help themselves to 1/2 of what ever is wiggling in the water.

They are good fun and do jump,the few things you may want to keep in mind is that when you burley offshore ,you can never be sure of what may come up the slick.Even when in 50m of water off longreef fishing for snapper I have had a few interesting encounters with sharks.If you want to target them (the little makos),you would be hard pushed to beat getting to a reef just offshore that is exposed to currents,get a 1l bottle of tuna oil,punch a small hole in it and tie it off to the boat.Then just work the burley pot a little.

We usually fish for snapper /bottom fish and whatever you catch gets burleyed/used as bait.If you havent used cable before ,I might suggest that some light traces say 200-250lb ,NYLON coated with a 10/0 or 12/0 hook maybe 10ft long will handle the little critters well enough.

The light cable is there so that if all else goes to crap it should snap before something silly happens.

Dont bring them onboard either,sharks have cartilage-not bones and can bite there own tail,a looped tail rope or two tied to a bollard will hold them .

Good luck

Simon

Thanks for all the advice guys, will definately take it on board i might just downgrade the gear used so if a monster comes along my i can bust him off.

Still keen to go but maybe target a smaller shark. Thanks for the heads up fellas for now ill stick to smaller sharks until i get a bigger boat

cheers.

Most of the guys I know who target them, never bring them in the boat. As soon as they are close enough in, they get a bullet and are then tail roped and towed in. It's probably illegal these days and firearms laws are much tougher.

When I used to fish with the old man many years ago, he had a cut down 22 (no barrel, no butt) but I can't remember ever having to use it.

I do rember pulling up alongside a 16ft hammerhead that was eating baitfish, in our 14ft boat - we didn't hang around too long.

My advice hmmm... maybe try tail roping when you get near the boat and then give it a bit of slack and tie it off and get moving and this should drown them.

Good luck - might make an exciting report :tease:

Stallo

Thanks for all the advice guys, will definately take it on board i might just downgrade the gear used so if a monster comes along my i can bust him off.

Still keen to go but maybe target a smaller shark. Thanks for the heads up fellas for now ill stick to smaller sharks until i get a bigger boat

cheers.

Down grading the gear will not guarantee you a bust off ,the wire is the key .If you use heavy wire most sharks will not bite thriugh it with the exception of a White Shark .If you must go after bities downgrade your wire trace and the bigger fellas will bite through it .If you go with 49 strand be prepared for a good fight at the boat as thats where all the action takes place .

You will need a flying gaff at least 9 inch and some good quality tail ropes .

If you are new to shark fishing ?best bet is to go with someone who has done it before with success as these nasties dont take kindly to amateurs mucking up their day .You can get into all sorts of trouble playing with them :thumbdown:

This Mako was taken off Botany Heads ,only about 2 klms out and we have had them right up close of the Gap at South Head as well .Makos tend to roam between the shore and the shelf and anywhere in between

We were in a 6.5 half cab and I didnt ever feel comfortable with a shark of this size on the gaff .

My brother is very experienced with Sharks and he made the call to take it on ,I wanted to go in as quick as possible .

post-256-1152055235_thumb.jpg

Cheers Swordfisherman

Hi Stewy,

I remember the one and only time I went shark fishing. I was a kid about 16 years of age and at the time used to fish with a fella by the name of Fred Hardy on his boat Noryna. She was a 36ft SteberCraft moored at Rose Bay.

This particular day we were out of North Head and hooked two bronze whalers (one at a time).

The fight on the first fish played out pretty well and we got the fish to the side of the boat but then all hell broke lose when Mr Hardy hit it with the flying gaff. The shark went nuts on the gaff thrashing and carrying on and I never been so scared in all my life, even in that big boat. The shark was nuts and Mr Hardy was barking orders at me and I didn't know which way to turn. :(:(

Luckily the shark calmed down fairly quickly and the next thing I knew it was hanging off the side of the boat by a tail rope. I think I had my eyes closed at that point.... :074:

When we hooked the second it came to the boat and was much more easily taken care of thank god, it didn't go crazy like the first fish and the tail rope went on it no time at all.

Mr Hardy would have been in his late 60's early 70's at that time and extremely experienced. Poor old fella passed away a fair while ago now....

That was my first lesson in Shark fishing. It really is a very scary experience for a very young first timer with all those teeth going crazy within arms length of you.

I've never felt the need to go shark fishing since!!! :1prop:

Cheers

David.

Edited by mottyman

wow...... shark hunting in a 14 footer.. all i can say is good luck.. you are a lot braver then me thats for sure. ive got a 5.7 metre and i still wouldnt be game enought for that. bot 6 months ago i was anchored up at the heads to botany bay and while i was burling up there was a dark shadow about the same size of my boat .... i didnt hang around i got out of there for fast. theres 1 thing i dont play with when im a lone and thats sharks...

We have had 3 very nasty days with e Makos

First one was fishing in the Bermagui Yellowfin Tournament ,we had been berleying heavily for Fin with the sea anchor out as it was a bit windy .We were ina Savage Osprey 5.2 cuddy and about 20 miles offshore .Next thing we know the boat is being dragged sideways :1yikes: The biggest Mako I have ever seen took the sea anchor in its giant cake hole and proceeded to tow us sideways .After we all shit ourselves Mr Mako decided he wanted to have a look at us as well .He came right up the side of the boat and was longer than the boat .One of my stupid mates rigged a whole stripey up and wacked it over the side ,dumb move :ranting2: This thing inhaled a five kg stripey and ran off 600 mtres of line and jumped ,jesus if this thing had of jumped near us we would not be here now .Lucky for us it popped the line and we made a hasty retreat for the shore and I have never been back since .

2nd time was in the same area and we were sitting on the 4 mile reef fishing for reds before the tournament and a Mako free jumped about 5 foot from the back of the transom ,fk me I fell back in the boat and had skid marks a mile long in my undies :074:

Third time was out on Browns Mountain in a 6mtr Yellowfin ,we were after fin and our lives were depspatched over the side .It took all of 2 seconds for the zzzzzzzzz and pop as Mako after Mako took our livies and bit us off .So it was decided to get one on and see if they would bugger off ,bad move

We rigged a heavy wire trace and sent a livie out ,only for it to run back under the boat shitting itself :1yikes: I was on the rod and saw a small Mako at the berley bucket .This looks like a nice shark to handle I thinks to myself .While I was watching the little fella of around 50 kgs my livie gets smashed under the boat by an unseen predator .I looked over and a enormous Mako glides up to the back of the boat and doesnt even know its hooked .I am waiting for all hell to break loose and the bloody wire trace wraps around the propeller .The sea had come up a bit and we had to get the wire off .This Mako was no more than 3 or four foot from the guy who owned the boats face as we lowered him over the transom with pliers to sever the trace .It took a little while to cut and there were some very anxious moments I can tell you .If that shark had decided to go beserk we would have been in the deepest shit possible .When we hauled the skipper back on board he was as white as a ghost .

Just goes to show you what can happens when playing with the big boys :biggrin2:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Guest madsmc

Reading some of those stories just confirms for me that the only time I would attempt to target sharks from a boat would be aboard a reputable charter boat with experienced deckies.

It's always been a bit of a dream of mine to fight and land a big shark, but I wouldn't risk my life for it.

Shane

:1fishing1:

i would have to agree, i would never consider chasing sharks offshore, dont know enough about them, would only go if i went with an experience charter operator, i have caught bronze whalers before of the beach and thats it. even that shit scared me.

We were at Stanwell park beach and were chasing jews, mate got hit and was fighting this thing for around 30 minutes, we thought it was a jew the whole time, as it gets closer i go into the water about 3ft deep to try and grab our jew, torch in one hand and his line in the other it gets closer and as soon as i shine the torch on it i notice its a shark, i fricking shit myself and bolted out of the water. he eventually pulled it in without my help and it came in at just over a metre. Always think twice now before heading into the water to grab the fish. we caught 3 that night on ganged pillies.

haha that was a great read mottyman.... :thumbup:

Kingies till I die

Never want to dampen your spirit but be careful.

Have a look at this.

Ths is what can come up the burley trail.

www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/03/01/1046407803331.html

cheeers

inhlanzi

Sorry Mottyman I meant to reply to inhlanzi about the smh article with "I wonder if upgrading from a 6m boat to a 7m boat would really make a difference to a 6.5m 1.2 tonne shark if it decided to have a go."

Cheers

Edited by Evil

years ago i was in a 16 foot boat off Port Stephens and i saw this shadow in the water, like a mug i put on the biggest hook i had on 80lb mono, slapped on a whole mullet and let it over the side, worst mistake i ever made, i couldnt get rid of this thing and it just hauled me and the boat wherever it wanted us to go, i eventually cut the line with my knife. This thing was as big as the boat, wouldnt do that again i asure you. Sharks dont nibble.

Mate,a friend and i were fishing the churchground at shellharbour.he had just finished stirring the burley pot when there was a splash at the back of the boat all of a sudden we had a 5ft mako swinging of my burley pot.while my mate was recovering from the shock i clipped a trace on and fed a livie over the side.I did this because i thought he was only a baby. 20mins and 8 jumps later he was at the boat ready for the gaff,but that was a different story.My only advice to you would be if anything bigger than 4.5 to5 ft takes a bait let him have it if you are fishing in a 14ft boat. Cheers :thumbup:

Kingies till I die

Never want to dampen your spirit but be careful.

Have a look at this.

Ths is what can come up the burley trail.

www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/03/01/1046407803331.html

cheeers

inhlanzi

definately not what i want thats for sure i think ill stick to kingies.

thanks guys your lifesavers.