Alvey Combo

orangeguy

Hey,

I'm currently looking for a surf combo to start out in and got recommended the alvey 600B with a matching alvey 10'6" rod for $99. Is this any good? How easy are alveys to use for someone who has never fished the surf?

Cheers. :biggrin2:

Hey,

I'm currently looking for a surf combo to start out in and got recommended the alvey 600B with a matching alvey 10'6" rod for $99. Is this any good? How easy are alveys to use for someone who has never fished the surf?

Cheers. :biggrin2:

Alveys are supposed to be easy, but bugger me if I can cast it even to the breakers. :ranting2:

I have to agree with Dan A, i used to beach fish a while ago and i used a mates alvey once, couldnt figure out how to cast it properly.

Have seen beach pros cast them very far though. I think they take a bit of getting used too

99 bux for a combo! damn that is cheap, i personally wouldntbuy tackle that cheap, because i have before and its always ends up in the bin. If you want some good beach fishing gear that will cast a country mile and last a while be willing to pay a little more.

I use a ABU 7000LD which cost me 280 and it just casts like a dream, the lever drag is awsome, easy maintanance, good braking system, in my thoughts its the ultimate overhead beach reel.

However the 7000 is bit of a handful for a beginner casting, I would recomend you get a ABU 5000 (the red ones) retails for around 200 bux.....and buy a relitively cheap overhead 12 foot surf rod for around 100 bux. This combo would be awsome for a beginner, and that reel would last you a very very long time.

I cant give you any advice on spinning reels as i dont use or like them...

Very cheap for that combo.

I use Alveys regulary and find them fantastic.

I did have a little trouble learning the casting technique, but once i got it, i now cast around double the distance. Took me about 3-4 session to get the hang of it and feel comfortable.

I have a video clip which shows the best method for casting.

The only other thing to learn is the drag, usually you will use your hand to stop the reel backspinning when your striking, and putting pressure on the fish to wear the fish out. Also it becomes crutial when landing the fish on the beach, got to be ready to manually drag, just in case the fish turns for 1 last run, I lost my PB salmon this way :mad3: . I made an effort to fix this up so i would never make the same mistake.

Honestly, once you learn the tricks, there are many benfits to using a Alvey (sidecast) reel.

I'll try to find the clip, PM your email if you wish and i can send to you.

Cheers, BJ

http://www.alvey.com.au

If you have a look at this site you will find your combo is an Estury/ light surf. Is that what you want?

My Beach outfit is an Alvey 650c5 on a similar rod to the Alvey Fish Striker MT1447W (12foot (3.7m) Medium)

2 Piece rod. I have it loaded with Platypus Super 100 line as it has a very thin diameter in 15 lb breaking strain.

I use it for everything from Whiting to Jew. A very versitile Surf combo! The 650c5 is a star drag reel, much prefered to Palming the spool as a drag system!

Look in the Search section on this site, there has been a lot of discussion in the past about Alvey reels.

Howard.

PM sent BJ.

Thanks for all the information everybody.

I realise the 600B is a light surf reel, also it is direct wind so it has no drag. Is it important to have a drag on an alvey? I'm not sure if i should get the light surf reel combo or a higher reel such as a 650. I saw another combo which is a 6500BCV with a wilson MT8144 for $230. More than double the price so is it worth it or more sutiable? I will be targeting everything from whiting to salmon. I also havent been surf fishing before so should I get the cheaper combo to have a go first?

Cheers.

mt = medium taper 144 = length of blank used in inches 8 = wraps of fiber glass

8 is getting into the heavier Jew rods. 7 wraps is lighter especially in the tip and more versitile.

Get an Alvey with a drag!

Howard.