Palm Beach Friday 6/7/06

Hydro

Headed to Palm Bch Fridayas Id heard reports of jews about. Perfect conditions for a beach bash. Fished from 1-5 p.m. on a rising tide.

Caught a solid bream (37cm), a dozen or so dart and a couple of juvenille salmon. Used a variety of bait but squid and slimey mack seemed to be the best.

Was smoked by something mid afternoon, 250m of 30lb braid gone in 60 secs, probably still heading to NZ as I write. Applied as much pressure as I could but I couldn't stop it and it wasn't about to stop.

Have no idea what but another fisho down the beach suspected a rogue kingie, but I'm not sure. Any other suggestions??

A few solid salmon being caught around me. Had a great afternoon, well worth a throw.

hey dude seems like you've had some fun.

I went today (saturday) and the swells were pretty big, virtually unfishable (we were fishing near the pool).

Some odd salmons were brought in but I gave into the element as I did not wanna get wet :)

Look I know palm beach and I can assure you I have never seen a large ray ever! (last 3 years) What I have seen are,

1. Dolphin

2. Shark (large ones, so large that beach was evacuated and life guards had to bring emergency vehicles and lifeboats riding out scaring the shark)

3. Big Kingy

Now from your post, 30pound line beach fishing you should have been able to give it a decent fight... I don't believe a large kingy can do such thing (plus I have never seen anyone catch a kingy off the beach!).

I think its number 1 or number 2. from the description I think its number 1!!! :) awesome

hey dude seems like you've had some fun.

I went today (saturday) and the swells were pretty big, virtually unfishable (we were fishing near the pool).

Some odd salmons were brought in but I gave into the element as I did not wanna get wet :)

Look I know palm beach and I can assure you I have never seen a large ray ever! (last 3 years) What I have seen are,

1. Dolphin

2. Shark (large ones, so large that beach was evacuated and life guards had to bring emergency vehicles and lifeboats riding out scaring the shark)

3. Big Kingy

Now from your post, 30pound line beach fishing you should have been able to give it a decent fight... I don't believe a large kingy can do such thing (plus I have never seen anyone catch a kingy off the beach!).

I think its number 1 or number 2. from the description I think its number 1!!! :) awesome

HEY

SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD A GOOD DAY OUT THERE.

ANYWAY I THINK ONE OF THE OTHER RAIDERS WAS RIGHT ON THE MONEY WITH EITHER:

1,DOLPHIN OR;

2,SHARK.

I HAVE BEEN DOING SOME FISHING UP THAT WAY OF LATE AND HAVE NOTICED IF THE SALMON ARE ABOUT THEN THE DOLPHINS ARE NOT TO FAR AWAY AT THIS TIME OF YEAR AS THEY FEED ON THE BAIT FISH AS WELL. IT IS THE SAME STORY AT THE MOMENT IN SYDNEY AT THE HEADS,SALMON AND DOLPHINS. I HAVE LOST TWO OF MY FAVORITE LURES TO DOLPHINS IN THE LAST THREE WEEKS.

GET OUT THERE,

BERLEZ. :mad3:

imagine bringing in a dolphin! you'll be on the news trying to save it!

but really can someone tell me why its not possible to hook and land a dolphin? (I am not taking ethics in perspective).

I mean try are huge animals but sharks are bigger so how come theres a report of people catching a large shark but never a dolphin?

are they such a smart animal that they don't eat food with metal in them :)

imagine bringing in a dolphin! you'll be on the news trying to save it!

but really can someone tell me why its not possible to hook and land a dolphin? (I am not taking ethics in perspective).

I mean try are huge animals but sharks are bigger so how come theres a report of people catching a large shark but never a dolphin?

are they such a smart animal that they don't eat food with metal in them :)

I was watching I FISH yesterday and the underwater camera showed a dolphin or porpoise ,I know we have one but not both ?? shadowing a swimming gar about 20 metres behind the boat while trolling and it was never going to hit that bait .They infact are too smart :biggrin2:

Cheers Stewy

A raiders,

Berlez here i saw i fish with the dolphins following the camera and garie yesterday too. as i posted yesterday ive lost 2 lures to dolphins on north head in sydney harbour over the past three weeks. they have not taken the lure but surface beside and behind the boat whilst trolling or casting to salmon. :05: Cant help that, Not That im a Greenie or anything but i would not want to catch them as they are such a nice creature.

get out there;

Berlez.

A raiders,

Berlez here i saw i fish with the dolphins following the camera and garie yesterday too. as i posted yesterday ive lost 2 lures to dolphins on north head in sydney harbour over the past three weeks. they have not taken the lure but surface beside and behind the boat whilst trolling or casting to salmon. :05: Cant help that, Not That im a Greenie or anything but i would not want to catch them as they are such a nice creature.

get out there;

Berlez.

Couldnt agree more,,,, and I dunno about you, but you cant eat dolphins ,,,,,,,, OR can you? :tease::tease:

I think it will be scary to catch one... think about it, if it was big shark I would just cut the line, but if it was a dolphin I would wanna remove the hook by placing my rather large head in its mouth :) LOL scary

I don't have a reference but its got to be the sonar. They'll quite happily feast on the rest of your berley trail but when anything involving metal is touching the bait they just ignore it. They are hungry eating machines and I'm sure they want to take your bait but for the sonar.

Believe it or not dolphins do occassionally get hooked but rarely landed. I was fishing off the breakwall at south west rocks with live mullet and as my bait hit the water when i cast i saw a dolphin fin dive and then my rod buckled over and i lost 300 + metres of braid within seconds and was coming close to a spooling...after coming to my senses i locked the drag up and busted it off...freaked me out.

On another note last week we were fishing for snapper when my mates rod nearly flew out of his hands, we were floating baits and i have never seen a reel go so hard before....he wanted to chase the thing but i kept telling him if he didnt lock his drag up he would end up with no line in a hurry as it wasnt stopping, after reeling my line in and throwing the anchor bouy overboard ready to chase it he locked his drag up and snapped it off....we noticed that there were huge swirls in the direction of the line and then about 100 + metres down we saw a spout of water blow up and we couldnt believe our eyes...we are not 100% sure but we believe a whale must have swam into his line and after taking up the slack the hook must have caught onto its body.....wierd things happen.