Best Reel?

dantheman

best reel for money  

27 members have voted

1. 1. okuma

• jarvis walker
    • diawia
    • other

For what its worth i reckon ABU is best value for money.....

I own an ABU 7000 & 10000 & not only are they value for money they last & are the best casting overhead reel around. I've never had a problem with them & I treat my gear rough!!

Cheers.

How and who sets up these polls?

I think they can be very interesting.... this one is a little limited ( to be polite) but we , and owners, could find valueable info to assist with sponsors dare I say it.

:beersmile:

When you start a new topic there is a field (link) to set poll options, this particular poll was set by fisher

And for my money i prefer okuma

The high end Daiwa reels are great but spare parts are extremely expensive :1yikes: . You can buy a new Stradic for the price of one Daiwa Airity spool :ranting2: and the price of an Airity bail arm would buy you a new Symetre plus Fireline :tease: How can these rip-off merchants justify their spare part prices? Maybe the ACCC should launch an investigation :074:

I will stick to my beloved Shimano in future, purely because the staff at Dunphy's are a great bunch and they really look after me like no other. Mr Dunphy sure knows how to choose the right staff and for this i give Shimano their products the big :thumbup:

Cheers

Red

same goes shimano destroy just about any overhead in tiagra series they are beaut as for baitrunners shimano still make what i believe is possibly the best value for money baitrunner in the BTR 3500 BTR 4500 BTR 6500 I HAVE A FEW OF EACH AND YET TO FAIL THEM ALTHOUGH I QUIET LIKE THE DIAWA SALTIGA SPIN BUT AT 1200 BUCKS I THINK IL BE LOOKING THRU THE GLASS CABINET AT THEM

Guest Reely

The high end Daiwa reels are great but spare parts are extremely expensive :1yikes: . You can buy a new Stradic for the price of one Daiwa Airity spool :ranting2: and the price of an Airity bail arm would buy you a new Symetre plus Fireline :tease: How can these rip-off merchants justify their spare part prices? Maybe the ACCC should launch an investigation :074:

I will stick to my beloved Shimano in future, purely because the staff at Dunphy's are a great bunch and they really look after me like no other. Mr Dunphy sure knows how to choose the right staff and for this i give Shimano their products the big :thumbup:

Cheers

Red

Youm make me laugh A

K.

Guest danielinbyron

yep, most of mine are shimano but has everyone already forgot the old mitchell 499?

:beersmile: Stallo

with or without the modafied bail arm

whats this joke?

no shimano :tease:

CFD

i have an old chook chaser dt 175 yamaha.... and i'll race any ducati or harley rider to the gate at the end of the rear paddock and back.....

yep, most of mine are shimano but has everyone already forgot the old mitchell 499?

:beersmile: Stallo

I've got both the 499 and 499 Pro, the French built these reels with only one thing in mind, they are built tough with enough power to pull in a mini bus. By todays standards they are fairly agricultural but back then they were equivalent ib toughness to maybe todays Saltiga's and Stella's.

The 499 Pro I have is still brand new in the box, unused, not a mark on it, wonder how much it would be worth to a collector????

By the way I dont mind Shimano but my reel of choice would have to be Daiwa.

Edited by cap3

Guest danielinbyron

post war era east german hand built dam spinning reels .... kind of get me a bitr excited ata garage sale.. but i gotta face the facts about myself.... no expensive sun glasses or faggy office boy mobile phones and no more pretending that i will be gentle with this new beautifully crafted peice of fishing equipment

yeh mate they do have the trout on the side. I have a dam quick 1401 spinning reel. Its very smooth and built like a brick shithouse. I dropped the drag washers for it in the harbour a while back and finding replacements is impossible as they are so bloody huge!!

Guest danielinbyron

yeh mate they do have the trout on the side. I have a dam quick 1401 spinning reel. Its very smooth and built like a brick shithouse. I dropped the drag washers for it in the harbour a while back and finding replacements is impossible as they are so bloody huge!!

friend of mines dad...rip... from airforce beach just south of here had the killer shed.... ya know you could just see the time the man had spent in it with little packs of pre rigs he'd made on rainy days wrapped around cork etc.. he also had the original dams in three sizes in there boxes... fifty years old man i never saw a better made spinning reel.. also of interest is that up my way there were poeple modifying the old mitchells with a home made bail arm .. can't quite recall why but you still come across them every now and then...

is that one of the more modern.. remakes of the dam quick cos theres on in the junk box of my local tackle store ... needs a bail arm spring...

I've got both the 499 and 499 Pro, the French built these reels with only one thing in mind, they are built tough with enough power to pull in a mini bus. By todays standards they are fairly agricultural but back then they were equivalent ib toughness to maybe todays Saltiga's and Stella's.

The 499 Pro I have is still brand new in the box, unused, not a mark on it, wonder how much it would be worth to a collector????

By the way I dont mind Shimano but my reel of choice would have to be Daiwa.

I had both, but they have both been worked to death. The 499 was the last to go about 4 years back. It was killed by a groper 30lb circa. Tore the roller clean off the side and left me standing there with no hope of pulling it up! I have considered re-engineering but it is still sitting there.

There are 2 on ebay, one in melb currently $100 and one older one in the UK for $40. Both are second hand. PM me if you want to sell your one, I am definately in the market for one.

Stallo