My Sydney Boat Show Experience

Tom Tom

My boat show experience

I went to the show on Saturday 10am and I'll give you guys a tip, its not worth going for any supposed bargins!

The alumnium boat dealers ($20 -$40Kare the same stone faced B..LS...t artists. They are where Qunitrex and Stacer. So many dealers of each brad and not a bargin in site.

The boating industry is a closed shop in Australia with the proceeds going mostly going to Queensland boat manufacturers.

Show price is usually $1000 cheaper for a boat, but by the time you add the options youi end up paying the same. Your better off buying it at a dealer without the pressure at the show.

One tackle store had some items that were slightly cheaper on slected items., but that was it!

I think it was Hunts accessaries had good deals on boating product (about 20%).

There where some good bags for the kids, stickers , colour pencils the lot!

The Cafe was over priced.

We finished up looking at the crusers, saw a $420K cruser looked fantastic!!

Overall it was ok, but if these dealers want to sell boats, they realy need to come to the party on price.

always used boat shows as a good price what not to pay they all bag each other out.... sales sales if u were talking to a boat salesman at the show and he sold mercury motors he would tell you how great and superior they would be but if he got the sack next week and got a job at a yamaha dealership do u really think he would be spruiking up the talk on mercurys still i highly doubt it most of the dealers just want your cash buyer beware my next big boat when i buy it i can tell you that salesman is going to earn every cent of the sale and il be grilling him on after sales service before he gets a cent theres still a few decent dealers about but they are few and far between ..............................................................

I my self enjoyed the expirence of going to the boat show, i went last thursday and spent about 4 hours there.

I went to look at the Stabicraft 759 weekender which i have been considering for sometime now.

The show enabled me to compare with other boats to see what else is around, and in doing so i have gone completely away from the stabicraft and am leaning towards the striper 2301 walk around.

Now all i have to do is start saving.

I went with $1500 in my pocket to buy a sounder. The only guys interested were at humminbird and they did make the effort to take me over to Blakes marine who had me wait around for an hour + for nothing. I guess nobody must want my business. will now organise it locally.

Stallo

mate it must have been the poorest boat show it seemed everything was the same as the year before, except for the number of people.

i was down there saturday evening for 4 hours and it was very quiet compared to years gon by. it may be an indication of our economy and i reckon those dealers will be struggling in the future if they don t come to the party thats for sure.

the food is definately not cheap there either payed 5 bucks for a pie. wheres the ACCC?

I was wondering if missing the show meant I would be kicking myself as I wouldn't have minded hunting for some specials for my bro-in-law's boat, but after what you guys have said I'm kinda glad I went out on the water instead.

Didn't catch a thing, that's right, not one fish in the boat for me :mad3: , but I'm thinking I would've been alot more disappointed going to the show.

Here's to next year!

Boats are all over priced, you get jack shit for your dollars these days.

Except for the Polycraft boats, they are great value. It was good to see them at the show for the first time as well as seeing the new 5.3m cuddy model. I'm tempted to get one of these at a bit over 30K rather than spend around 25k for a ten year old fiberglass with possible wood rot, engine rebuilds, new trailer etc to look forward to.

Pollycraft need to be able to convince people, with facts, that the wait of the boats does not impact on fuel.

I saw them, look good and strong, but the weight of the boat and how it will perform out in the water???

Major boat show issue.

Of all the boat manufacturers, not one gave a demonstartion of how they actually go in the water!!!!!!

Not one !!!!

What was the point of the show????????? Your at Darling Habour why not put your boat in the water and show me how it goes, don't just talk about it.

What are these guys hidding, besides that fact it's a closed shop.

These guys are better than AWB!! :1badmood:

Edited by Tom Tom

Pollycraft need to be able to convince people, with facts, that the wait of the boats does not impact on fuel.

I saw them, look good and strong, but the weight of the boat and how it will perform out in the water?

I don't think the weight is much of an issue. It is similar to fiberglass and plate alloy. The little 4.1 comes in at around the same as the bass/ barra type tinnies once they have flat floors, casting decks and wells installed.

Also they don't need big hoerspower to push them as deep V fiberglass boats as they have a shallower V and plane more easily.

They are great handling boats. Soft riding, but not quite as soft as a deep V glass boat. However they are better handling in all other respects; more stable at rest, better in followings seas and side on to seas.

Why didn't they give the poeple at the boat show a demo?

If you want a demo all you have to do is ask.

All dealers have demo days, in fact their is a demo of stabicraft at the spit this sat & sun between 10 & 4

But if you just want to kick tyres & go for a ride, go to rose bay boat hire

MrG, have a good look at those Poly things - I did. The finish is very crappy, especially where the joins and things are, and along the sides is very wavy/rippley as they can't get plastic to stay flat and true. Also, before you buy one, do a LOT of research into how they can be repaired if you damage them. They can't !! I have also heard reports of the hull cracking under prolonged heavy usage which basically makes the boat worthless. I know of a boat dealer in Townsville who cancelled his franchise with Polycraft because of these issues.Personally, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. My opinion only, make your own decisions.

MrG, have a good look at those Poly things - I did. The finish is very crappy, especially where the joins and things are, and along the sides is very wavy/rippley as they can't get plastic to stay flat and true. Also, before you buy one, do a LOT of research into how they can be repaired if you damage them. They can't !! I have also heard reports of the hull cracking under prolonged heavy usage which basically makes the boat worthless. I know of a boat dealer in Townsville who cancelled his franchise with Polycraft because of these issues.Personally, I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. My opinion only, make your own decisions.

I'm not sure what joins you are refering to. They are moulded in one piece. Yes the sides are wavy, but who cares in a fishing boat. Anyway I think they look quite attractive with their clean uncluttered lines. And they will hold their looks unlike fiberglass gelcoat which cracks and fades and tinnies which collect dents and loose their paint.

Can't be repaired? Wrong again. A plastic welder can do this. Minor repairs you can do yourself with sandpaper and a heat gun. If you somewhow manage to write the hull off completely then make an insurance claim.

Hull cracking is a myth that pops up from time to time. Always though on an anonomous and unsubtantiated basis. Polycraft have not had a single claim for hull failure. Hull cracking is the domain of fiberglass and especially alloy boats, along with wood rot, osmosis, delamination, corrosion and metal fatigue!

So as far as I can see the 'problems' with the polycraft boats are imaginary whereas with the alternatives they are very common indeed. With my old fiberglass boat I have had to cut the floor up three times over the years to make hull repairs as well as replace the wood in the transom!

So what about alloy then. Well pressed alloy boats are cheap (but not as cheap as polycraft), but hull cracking IS quite common with heavy use, as is corrosion. They are also hard riding. Plate alloy is the other alternatve. These boats are tough, but very expensive and will not ride as well as poly or glass boats.

Edited by billfisher

I think Billfishers on the money with the poly's. I ve not heard anything like cracking hulls etc. They may not be the prettiest thing around but geez you avoid a lot of problems the tinnies and glass boats have. There not for eveyone but they do seem pretty good.

As for a test run at the boat show. Your kidding right ? That would be a logistical nightmare with the amount of people going through plus there is no easy access for this to be done. Just to hard.

Most big dealers have test drive days.

Go the Tohatsu's. :thumbup:

A well build alloy boat would last a long time .

If build correctly it would not get corrosion,it would not split.

But it would be heaps more expensive than a polycraft.

My only question regarding welding cracks on a poly would be.

THAT on a aluminium boat the original welded area loses 30% of it's annealed strength,

and sometimes double if welded twice.

What is the strength rating on plastic welding how much strength to you lose on plastic?

Hazza

Go the Tohatsu's. :thumbup:

A well build alloy boat would last a long time .

If build correctly it would not get corrosion,it would not split.

But it would be heaps more expensive than a polycraft.

My only question regarding welding cracks on a poly would be.

THAT on a aluminium boat the original welded area loses 30% of it's annealed strength,

and sometimes double if welded twice.

What is the strength rating on plastic welding how much strength to you lose on plastic?

Hazza

Hazza,

I don't disagree that a well built alloy should last a long time, but a lot of them don't. They tend to be the pressed ones rather than the plate that have the problems.

Regarding cracks on poly I don't think they exisit, they are just furphies put out by rival dealers and other knockers to put down the brand. You might need to repair gourges or deep scratches and these can be welded without sacrificing the strength.

Jeez, I certainly tossed the cat among the pigeons this time guys. Good though, these discussions and opinions about different makes etc. It's really good for the aspiring boat owners to learn what's what about the different materials so they can save a lot of time without listening to dealer bullshit.

Also, before you buy one, do a LOT of research into how they can be repaired if you damage them. They can't !!

Hmm, very interesting Tuffy, can you please tell one of my customers who jumped his Poly off the trailer (hit a gutter while towing, no tie down strap), put a deep gouge in the hull, and got a poly welder to repair it for $70, that his hull hasn't been repaired?

And my hull where I used a heatgun to fill in screwholes when I changed some rodholders over - it LOOKS like they are filled in, but they are not?

I have been reliably informed by the manufacturer of the polyethylene used in Polycraft's that it will retain approx. 90% of its strength when welded/repaired (ie stronger than an alloy weld).

Anyway, this is probably all just "dealer bullshit" eh?

Ben.

hey fellow :1fishing1::1fishing1:

a friend of mine and myself went on the monday to the boat show.. we stayed there the hole day... but left the show for a few :beersmile::beersmile::beersmile: a few times or maybe more i cant really remember but as said before there wasnt any real bargains as such. except mabe the 4 million dollar monster cruiser i fell in love with.