Joey

James

Mate i anin t a Newcastle fan by any stretch of the imagination, but what is Joey Johns on about?

he verbally abused an official in front of thousands of people.

i believe he should be punished accordingly and made an example of.

Threratning to go to England!

go buddy your finished now anyway we don t need people who think there bigger than the game.

See ya wanker

I disagree...

It was a few swear words, big whoop....whats a game a footy come to when you get summoned to court and a possible bann for four weeks for swearing at a ref that made the wrong decision....giving that you get the same punishment if you hit the ref, johns should have king hit him instead!!! hahaha :biggrin2:

It's about showing respect for the officials - regardless of whether they are wrong or right - the ref's call is final - get on with the game.

That's a hard pill to swallow if you believe they're wrong - but they are professional players and a proffessional attitude is required.

Joey is the number one example for young players in this country and he has a responsibility (whether he likes it or not) to be squeaky clean.

Abuse of officials should never be tolerated, be it verbal or heaven forbid physical.

I wonder how many kids will be running around their local parks this weekend giving the local ref a big mouthfull if he gets off???

If he's found guilty then give him the appropriate punishment.

My two cents.

Cheers

David.

I think after playing for 14 years, and being possibly the best NRL player in history earns you the right to tell the ref to piss off if he isnt doing his job properly...Johns would have seen numerous refs come and go over the last 14 years of his professional footy career and for him to blow up like he did he must of made a real bad decision.....I know blowing up doesnt set the best example for youngsters, but when your full of adrenalin, you have the passion flowing through you, and some dick makes the wrong decision and stuffs it up for you, its uncontrollable.....

I think after playing for 14 years, and being possibly the best NRL player in history earns you the right to tell the ref to piss off if he isnt doing his job properly...

Na, no way, sorry mate. :biggrin2:

No player is above those who officiate the game and the officials should not have to be subjected to that level of itimidation.

If they make bad decisions and aren't up to the job, then the league needs to look at whether or not they should be on the paddock making the calls. If refeering is such a hard job these days they get it wrong often, then other ways of making decisions needs to be looked at (video refs etc although I'm not advocating that, it would slow the game too much I think).

Joey isn't above the officials or the game and he definately doesn't have the right to abuse the officials the way he did.

He's even trying to itimidate the judiciary by threatening to go overseas if they don't find in his favour!!! .... :thumbdown:

Tut tut Joey... :074:

mate i would have blown up the ref too.. as much as you need to hold back in that moment, passion gets a grip and some words fly.... some of the calls this year have been the worst i have ever seen...

"JUST THINK ABOUT IT" WAIT FOR ONE OF THESE REF STUFF UPS TO CRUSH YOUR TEAM WINNING A GRAND FINAL... IT ANT FAR OFF...

playing the sport is only a certain part of the game

know matter how good you are at it you are never better than it.

in regards to joey, go to england. where they treat there sporting heroes like gods.

he may think he is a god but he is far from it.

winning a game of football doesn t give you the right to abuse people.

i hope he goes

I fought for 5 years in the ring and we knew the rules and the penalties for breaching the rules. Sometimes you would get a bit "upset" when a decision went against you and you would have liked to have said or done something to remonstrate but you didn't because you know the rules before you touched gloves. I have never played footy but i reckon it is probably similar.

I am a huge Joey Johns fan-the best football player i have seen or am likely to see in this lifetime.

I agree with Mottyman,

No player is above the rules even Johns. Threatening to go O/S if things dont go his way is testament to his larger than life attitude. Great player but not above the law and should be dealt without prejudice.

If I was a Newcastle fan I would have the mega shits with him for being so stupid and possibly costing my team its shot. He has a big responsibility to his fans and his team and needs to act accordingly. People pay big money just to watch him play and have now been dudded through his own stupidity. Bad call or not you play the whistle and Johns has been around long enough to know a ref never changes his mind.

He should be fined by his club too. Ok the bad call cost them the game perhaps, but his outburst cost them their premiership shot. Yes, he is the one who got them there but he has been payed megabucks to do it. For a player of his experience he sure doesnt show it when when things dont go his way. A true champion or leader would not have put his team in this position.

Just my take.

I think what he did was stupid,and he set a bad example to any

youngsters out there that were watching the game,or seen countless

replays of it on the news.There is no need for the TV stations to

replay it over and over,so more kids and teenagers see it.

In my opinion he must now be made an example of and be dealt

with appropriately.

Also he should have apologised for his actions,NOT threaten to

go play in England if he is given too stiff a penalty.If I was on

the NRL judiciary that threat alone would make me wana give him

the harshest punishment at my disposal.

I had alot of respect for him as a player but bcoz of his recent

outbursts,and the way he has conducted himself of late,he deserves

no respect from anyone till he can right the wrongs he has created.

The bad refereeing decisions as far as I'm concerned are a totally

separate issue,and not an excuse for a high profile individual to

use foul language infront of thousands of others.

Thats my opinion and im entitled to it.

:beersmile: penguin

Edited by penguin

I fought for 5 years in the ring and we knew the rules and the penalties for breaching the rules. Sometimes you would get a bit "upset" when a decision went against you and you would have liked to have said or done something to remonstrate but you didn't because you know the rules before you touched gloves. I have never played footy but i reckon it is probably similar.

I am a huge Joey Johns fan-the best football player i have seen or am likely to see in this lifetime.

Mate i fought in the ring myself doing kickboxing. i ve played football as well.

your performance is not only judge by how good you are in your discipline, but how you conduct yourself.

Joey failed to do that

Threratning to go to England!

"His mates said it"

"Close friends of Joey have rumoured"

Next thing someone will have heard it on ACA or Today Tonight.

Lets actually wait and see if he has said it. The Sydney journo's have been after him for years.

Just watch the footy show tomorrow night and see what happens.

LW

It is SO easy for you to speculate and say what should have been done, and what would have proper and theorically was was the right thing to do, but you just cant put your self in his shoes like that, you just cant... you have no idea what was going through his head at the time and how he was feeling....he is in his 14th year of pro NRL im sure he has a fair grasp an what is professional and respectful when on and off the field.....but everybody draws a line when they have had enough and need to express how they feel.....im sure the ref is grown man and will get over it....in fact he might even learn to pay more attention to the game next time...

Guest maraudingmado

The bloke broke the point scoring record and because his team lost didn't come out to accept an award that everyone was waiting to acknowledge. Great player but lacking in sportsmanship when things go against him.

Wonder how he will go in the 20/20 when he gets out and wants to take the bat and ball home with him :thumbdown::thumbdown:

P.S. Like others said on this topic THERE IS NEVER a time to abuse the officials for wrong calls.

That is what some call "character building".

No I think he should be punished for what he has done.

BUT get it in line with some of the other punishments.

Players only get 2-3 weeks for high tackles that have the potential to cause serious damage and here we have a player, I don't care if it is Joey or any one else, facing 4 weeks for a incident that does not have potential to hurt any one.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Regards

Paul.

Sorry to Joey supporters but tough. Dispute the decision, question it, but you can't abuse officials, all sports at this level are high pressure. Can you imagine a scenario where someone says 'Don't fine McEnroe for being a nob because he's a great player and the linesman may have cost him the match'.

No wonder refereeing is crap who would want the constant questioning of every decision, it used to be players respected the officials (although may not agree with them) now so called professionalism appears to mean constant whinging about everything. If the officials want to take this seriously stop worrying about the flow of the game, when someone steps over the line penalise them, when they complain march them ten and if they go on another ten, then sin bin them, after the first couple geese the problem is solved.

He said he would not say sorry as he didn,t direct it at a official

now he did direct it at an official and has pleaded guilty

When he became the greatest ever point scorer in the NRL

when the knights play Parramatta he knew he had the presentation

he was just a rude %%%%% and didn,t want to come out.

He is being penalised for his actions as he should be.

He was warned about swearing a month and a half ago

I say don,t let the plane door hit you to hard in the arse

when flying overseas

Edited by johnno

Has the touch judge appologised to the Newcastle team?

or is that beneath him.

Or is it just Johns that is above all?

Gaff

mate im with you gaff.. if it was not such a bad call then joey would not have even blown up... :08: none of this shit would be happeing...i dont think refs no what appologising is :1worthy:

Just watched the news and in the whole Joey thing there were two funny bits.

1. John Howards opinion on the issue

and

2. Joeys big ass ball scratch as he was walking into court. :tease:

Anyway thats about all I have to say on footy cause as soon as Super League happened I lost interest.

GO NORTHS!!!!! :tease:

wettingaline when your paid as much as he is you should be able to control your feelings and frustration after all if you went to work tomorrow and swore at your boss would you still expect to retain your job i think not also after fourteen years of football he should know the drill time and time again this wanker with talent thinks he can escape the grill well we will find out tonight wont we .........but i highly doubt he will escape with zippo punishment and it goes to show great sports man accept their weekness he dodges it twice this year hes snubbed presentations for him quoting i was shattered after the loss well get over it princess stand up and take it johnsy you are a great player probably one of the best but i would never go as far as saying the greatest but when the heats turned up you melt prove me wrong.....

"he is in his 14th year of pro NRL im sure he has a fair grasp an what is professional and respectful when on and off the field"

Says it all.

He crossed the line.

He disgraced himself, his team and the game.

He should be man enough and sportsman enough to bow his head, apologise and take what he has brought upon himself instead of bitching and moaning like a little girl.

Who cares if he is the greatest player that ever lived, if he broke something and could never play again he would just be another of many instead of everyones shining star.

Sporting fame is very limited and very fickle.

G`day fellas ,

I`m with Mottyman all the way here.

Johns " Has been" , a great Player , no doubt about that , but sadly Newcastle are a One Man Team , and thats the simple truth of the matter, so when in the twilight of your Career , you run off the rails because of a few bad calls , well too bad.

I for one will state quite emphatically that Johns`y has had "more" than his fair share of help from linesmen and Umpires over the years , so to watch a player I respected , to unravel so badly in front of his fans was a disappointmet to say the least.

I won`t even touch on his refusal to accept that award for most points scored , His old man shoudda walked up the Tunnel , gave him a backhander , and kicked his arse back out onto the field .

What a bloody sook !.

And to top it off , he`s got off lightly just now with a downgrade to two matches , another disgrace , one law for Mugs , another for high profilers , and that is just not true blue.

Lets hope the Team can lift over the next two weeks and make it , but if they don`t , then andrew will bear the responsibilty for ending their season early.

Mick