Sydney Harbour 20/08/06

ozeash

G'day all,

pekingduck and I've been doing a spot of fishing the last couple of weekends on his boat- top bloke, also brings the best sandwiches I've ever had!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Earlier in the morning (read 5am), went out to the local tackle shop picked up some bait and also replaced my rod (which I broke last week) with a GLoomis GL2. Good rod, am very happy with it after giving it a workout today.

Launched at Rose Bay about 6:30ish and headed straight out to the heads. Didn't catch anything on the troll near the heads, went out about 2kms and decided we'd drift. Conditions were ok (at 7am) with a 1m swell, 5 - 10 knots wind providing some chop.

First cast, got myself a nice Mowie + a few Trev providing the supporting act while we waited for the Salmon to show. Much as we expected the Sambos came, close to Bluefish Point. We headed there, and tried to coax a bite, but only got 3 slimies and a yakka to show for our efforts. Headed into Quarantine, caught a couple of time wasters, and headed back out the heads to our original spot.

A few casts returned with the usual suspects (reef fish). The coup de grace for the day (for me, at least) was a flattie I pulled up from about 45m of water - 56cms., my PB. Went back out near Quarantine and picked up a few more Trevs and headed back to Rose Bay at about 3pm after a great day out.

Saw at least 5 - 6 sambo schools busting up on the surface, tried a couple, but no luck today. Also, saw sammy, cfd and ontap on the water - boys, we wanted to come and say hey, but you were running to catch the sambos off north head at about 3pm. Hope you caught a few!

We caught a fair few fish (probably about 15 fish all up), and I brought home the following -

1 x flathead 56cms (PB)

1 x trevally 41 cms

2 x morwong 44 cms and 40 cms

Right now, they're marinated and sitting around until I finish this post and fire up the barbie.

Cheers guys,

Ash

post-1665-1156066951_thumb.jpg

:thumbup: Good work Ash - that's quite a variety of fish you picked up there too.

Good to see there are a few flatties being pulled in - and 56cm isn't a bad size either. You're getting out there and amongst it and that's what it's all about.

yeah was a top day out.

Well done on your PB's Ash. That Flatty looked a whole lot bigger than in the pic.

The Salmon schools were there in numbers and it was frustrating as they weren't taking anything. One idiot kept on leapfrogging our position straight into the middle of the school. The flyfishos seemed to be doing ok though.

My handheld GPS died while we were drifting over a reef a few Ks out and it was suprising to see how hard it was to find the original marks without it.