After Fishing Reel Care

Bloo62

Hi People,

My son's reel siezed up last week, took it apart and found one of the bearings seized. Loosened it up with WD 40 put it back, still no better. Any suggestions on what to do apart from thow it out?

Also why might this have happened. My usual routine is to hose the rod/reel down with fresh water and give it a wipe over with a rag. Every now and then I give the inside a squirt with some rod oil. Obviously this is not enough??

what do other raiders find is required to keep their reels in tip top shape?

cheers,

Bloo

Hi Bloo,

After each trip I tighten up the drags on each reel and give them a hose off (not under very high pressure).

I losen the drags and let them dry.

When dry, I give them a spray with Inox then put them in a cupboard out of harms way.

My rods go in a rod rack. They too get a hose down and the reel seats get a spray with Inox.

Regular maintance with reel oil keeps the insides and bail arm roller bearing in good nic.

Never had a drama with any of them.

Cheers

David.

Agree with David, only I leave my reels seated on the rods.

Not to be rude mate, but if the reel was a $30 or $40 combo special it may have a limited life if used with some regularity.

You may wish to take it to your local tackle shop an see if its worth repairing.

As a note after washing down the reels it is important to back off the drags so as not to warp washers or plates if left tightened up for extended periods.

Cheers

Martin

Hi Bloo,

After each trip I tighten up the drags on each reel and give them a hose off (not under very high pressure).

I losen the drags and let them dry.

When dry, I give them a spray with Inox then put them in a cupboard out of harms way.

Regular maintance with reel oil keeps the insides and bail arm roller bearing in good nic.

Never had a drama with any of them.

Cheers

David.

David,

Why do you tighten the drag before hosing?

What is Inox? Is it like WD 40? Do you spray the outside of the reel/bail etc? How often would you oil the inside cogs/bearings etc?

thanks,

Craig

Hey Craig,

Tightening them keeps water out of the drag washers when giving them a wash under the hose.

Inox is great stuff. It doesn't contain any silicon, acid or oil based ingredients and won't harm rubber, plastics, metals, electrical points/parts etc etc where as WD40 is an oil based lubricant.

post-237-1156140344_thumb.jpg

It's non-conductive and non-corrosive. It also won't hurt your braided or mono lines if you get some on them.

I spray the entire reel with it when it's dry from washing. Just a light coat, including the bail arm and roller. I try and avoid getting too much on the line itself...

I generally don't muck around with the inner workings of reels too much. Once a year I take the side plate off and use a bit of daiwa reel lubricant but nothing major.

Cheers

David.

Edited by mottyman

Guest madsmc

I do the same as mottyman. Tighten the drag, light rinse with fresh water, dry and loosen the drag. Spray and wipe over with INOX. My rods get the same treatment, light rinse, dry then INOX on the guides and reel seat. :thumbup:

Shane

BLOOSGOTTABOAT,

I DO THE SAME AS EVERY ONE ELSE BUT I USE THE INOX WITH THE LANOLIN IN IT I FIND THAT IS THE BEST STUFF FOR ANY OF MY SALTWATER FISHING GEAR AND ALSO COMES IN HANDY FOR USE AROUND THE BOAT. I THINK THE REASON YOU HAVE TO WATCH INOX AROUND THE HANDLES OF FISHING REELS IS BECAUSE THERE'S SOMETHING IN IT THAT MAKES THE RUBBER SWELL, THIS IS ALSO THE CASE IF YOU SPRAY IT ON YOUR OUT BOARD YOU JUST HAVE TO WATCH THE RUBBER SEALS.

BANKSO :tease:

Edited by Bankso

sounds good how much inox? can you get it from most hardware stores?

It's not very dear, I normally buy it with other stuff and never take note of the price but I think it's about $10 a can or under. I normally get it at Bias but Bunnings sell it, as do most of the car parts shops like SuperCheap Auto, AutoOne etc etc etc etc.

Cheers