Trout Adventures

covanova

On the weekend, my Brother Craig, his mate Andrew, Andrew’s girlfriend Cara and I went on a hike down in the Blue Mountains, South west of Sydney. We’d heard about some monster trout down there, and as the area is one of the few flowing streams able to be fished during the winter, we packed our fishing rods and spinners. We planned a 3 night trip, leaving on Thursday afternoon, arriving home Sunday night. It certainly wasn’t tweed and waders fishing country!

After camping at the top of the mountain, we hiked down from Kanangra walls. Below are some pictures. This is an amazing geological formation, with beautiful walls above a deep (850m/2700ft) canyon. The scary thing was that where we were going was in fact further down than the bottom of this canyon!

We walked along the top of the walls, and got even better views:

post-553-1156565216_thumb.jpg

post-553-1156565239_thumb.jpg

post-553-1156565255_thumb.jpg

From there the walk went down along a spur about of 900m height to the river over several kilometres. It ended up taking us about 4-5 hours. What a walk! It went down and down and down…not always fun when you’re carrying a full backpack!

<Cont in next post due to attachments>

Once we were finally down there, it was beautiful! Granite bluffs along the river made for cliffs that were 30-50 metres high. Our campsite was on a bend in the river in a grassy area and the daytime weather was quite nice.

We spent all of the next day fishing along the river. This is an ice-cold wild river surrounded by national parks and declared wilderness that eventually drains into our water catchment area. Not many people access it at all and we saw no evidence of human effect, with the exception of a couple of old campfires.

post-553-1156565549_thumb.jpg

post-553-1156565575_thumb.jpg

post-553-1156565617_thumb.jpg

post-553-1156565700_thumb.jpg

And in the chilly nights (below freezing), our campfire was a welcome companion!

post-553-1156565871_thumb.jpg

And for the actual fish (surely the most important part!). We saw many fish before coming across the fish below. These browns were quite vicious, while the rainbows we saw weren’t interested in any flies, jigs or lures we put past them.

post-553-1156565810_thumb.jpg

post-553-1156565827_thumb.jpg

post-553-1156565853_thumb.jpg

After waking up the next morning to quite chilly temperatures (my shoelaces were frozen rigid!!) we had some more casts and headed up to the base camp. It was a very long walk… Ascending 3000 feet is easy to say, doing it with 25kg on your back is another thing! It was over about 10 or so kilometres, so it took us all of about 6-7 hours to do.

Once the postcard photos were taken, we were ready to head home!

Great report.

it's so nice to see we have such pristine wilderness still left within such a short distance of the big smoke.

Let's hope the Government never make it easy to get to these areas so that every man and his dog go down

there and spoil what looks like such a gem.

It's great that you put in the hard slog just to get to this beautiful area...must have been a wonderful experience to see the majesty of those cliffs and the crystal clear waters at the bottom.

I bet you froze your butts off overnight though as it was bloody cold up that way.

Well done on a fabulous adventure...and well done nailing a few browns to boot.

Pete.

Guest fishrunner

great report covanova :thumbup:

It's always nice putting the effort in to get to scarcly touched grounds ,

The fish were just a bonus looking at the scenery around :biggrin2:

cheers

Great report. I have fished that area of Kanangra a couple of times, especially the Kowmung, over the last 20 years of so. Pristine it is and the views go on forever. I would like to go back there in person one day but your report has taken me back in my memories.

Thanks for the trip.

Been canyoning out at Kanangra a few times and I know all too well the walk in and out....

Top work on getting a few fish, would have been a great couple of days even if you didnt get a bite.

Edited by Dezmo

Awesome report there Covanova, the fish are just reward for the effort.Great photos too! I have lived in the mountains all my life and have never had the opportunity to fish the areas rivers and streams sticking mostly to the impoundments. Can you please tell me where you went in, and did the lady member of your party find the conditions hard as I would love to take the mrs and some friends somewhere they have never been before ? thanks Troutboy :1fishing1:

now i'm a tad confused but however i thought all trout streams were closed at this time of year

General Trout Streams

Fishing season:

From the start of the October long weekend to the end of the June long weekend (this means that you can commence fishing on Saturday morning and must cease fishing on Monday night).

Bag limit:

5 (10 in possession)

Permitted gear:

One attended rod and line with no more than two hooks attached

have i been doing myself out of some of the better trout fishing as i do release most of my trout :tease:

either way mate i bet the trout was a backthought when hikeing around were you was

now i'm a tad confused but however i thought all trout streams were closed at this time of year

General Trout Streams

Fishing season:

From the start of the October long weekend to the end of the June long weekend (this means that you can commence fishing on Saturday morning and must cease fishing on Monday night).

Bag limit:

5 (10 in possession)

Permitted gear:

One attended rod and line with no more than two hooks attached

have i been doing myself out of some of the better trout fishing as i do release most of my trout :tease:

either way mate i bet the trout was a backthought when hikeing around were you was

Basserman

the streams in this area arent designated

but bag limits still apply if your masochistic enough to want to hump 10 fish out of there

Covanova

Great report from a great area. how many did you end up with for the trip?

The pic is a mate starting the ascent at the top of what we have euphamistically named/ cursed the "first lump". Which, if I have your position right is on the spur you walked in on and opposite where your campsite was.

post-154-1156669439_thumb.jpg

Edited by allen glover

Basserman

the streams in this area arent designated

but bag limits still apply if your masochistic enough to want to hump 10 fish out of there

Covanova

Great report from a great area. how many did you end up with for the trip?

the pic is a mate on the ridge, which if I have your position right is opposite where your campsite was.

yeh this is where i have been confused

how would i find out what a area is designated

i always thought if it has trout in it then it was classed a trout stream

in perticaler wondering about the dorigo/ebor area stream

yeh this is where i have been confused

how would i find out what a area is designated

i always thought if it has trout in it then it was classed a trout stream

in perticaler wondering about the dorigo/ebor area stream

Fisheries have the list somewhere on there website and if it aint listed it aint designated. You will find most if not all the new england streams designated. The area covanova fished was going to be listed but thankfully it has been deliberately left off as the fish are mostly migratory and you can only get at them at this time of yr.Easier water that has effectively the same fish in it is designated.

The effort needed to get to this spot is also a reason it isnt designated. Cova has down played this a bit as its truely tiger country and definately not for the faint hearted. Trust me 3 days is a minimum. Ive done 1 or 2 overnight trips there and have always been near crippled with pain and complaining muscles afterwards. Even with packs nearly half the 25kg :o Covanova humped.

Edited by allen glover

Great report Covanova - brings back many memories.

That area is very close to my heart.

Have been in there every year for about the past 15 years - except for this year! (baby no 3 due any day now...)

As many have already commented it is an absolutely wonderful part of the country. So rugged, isolated, remote (unless you have a few grand to spend on hiring a chopper to drop you at the junction of the cox's and kanagra ;)

A tip for the rainbows - I usually only get them on spinners in the rapids. They only seem to be interested in feeding in the fast flowing broken water. If you see them in the still water in deep pools they are more interested in spawning and won't usually hit lures. I find a single orange powerbait on a small hook drifted deep with the aid of a small splitshot is the best method. If it drifts close enough to the fish (ideally right on it's nose) it will pick it up - imitates an egg to the cannibalistic critters.

Cheers,

Derryn.

Guys,

Thanks for the replies, sorry I haven't replied, I have been on holidays and offline for a week. It is truly beautiful countryside! Even more remote than the Colo, which we went to earlier this year.

To answer the question, it was definately not a designated trout stream. Like was mentioned, I think it is because of its inaccessibility and the fact that the fish are coming upstream from Warragamba dam, where they can't be caught. Apparently at the moment there are significant sand banks at the mouth of the coxs and wollondilly which stop this migration.

Allan, I am not sure if you are correct. We camped opposite the Orange cliff (bluff).

In regards to the female companion, she was no ordinary girl! Cara could keep up with us and was quite commendable! At that time of year, your daylight hours don't go on much past 5 so you need to keep moving.

Guys,

Thanks for the replies, sorry I haven't replied, I have been on holidays and offline for a week. It is truly beautiful countryside! Even more remote than the Colo, which we went to earlier this year.

To answer the question, it was definately not a designated trout stream. Like was mentioned, I think it is because of its inaccessibility and the fact that the fish are coming upstream from Warragamba dam, where they can't be caught. Apparently at the moment there are significant sand banks at the mouth of the coxs and wollondilly which stop this migration.

Allan, I am not sure if you are correct. We camped opposite the Orange cliff (bluff).

In regards to the female companion, she was no ordinary girl! Cara could keep up with us and was quite commendable! At that time of year, your daylight hours don't go on much past 5 so you need to keep moving.

yep your right orange bluffs is upstream from where I usually go. have fished both up and down through the bluffs from other camp sites on the river but never camped there. looks a good site

Great report and some fantastic pics. The problem I would have is once you get to the bottom you will eventually have to get back to the top.

Could you have just followed the river and avoided all the climbing?

Certainly some pristine country

Cheers

martin