Botany Bays Day Of Adventure 27th Aug 06

impulse

:1welcomeani:

I think this is my 1st fishing report here a Fishraider so here goes (& be gentle with me).

It all started with a quick check of the weather stats links on the web (my quick link site is down due to changing ISP's, but that’s another story). The weather seemed ok for Sunday so I packed the Signature with all the family peace offerings you need when you take ones wife and child, toilet, play toys, creams, lip balm, hair brush, 3 different types of wet-ones and off we went.

Lunched at Munch Ave ramp at about 8am, heaps of trailers already parked so looking forward to cramped fishing conditions on the water. And sure enough there were lots and lots and lots of anglers wetting there lines (poor fish trying to decide which line to rip its jaw off).

We slowly set off from the ramp (No 2 son on lap at helm skimming the concrete and bouncing off the moored boats before the bridge). Passed the bridge gained some speed only to slow down again past the 1st runway as the chop caused No 1 wife to suffer Boob Bounce (I read that in the latest F&B this month and cracked up as its so true).

1st stop was Moll’s point with 3.2 million other boats, found a tight spot just inside the green channel marker and out goes the default Aldi Prawns (Yes Aldi provide a lovely fresh (frozen) 1kg bag of peeled prawns for only $8, cheap at ½ the price). These prawns do well 90% of the time.

Floated No 2 rod out with a No 2 long shank and small ball sinker running at the end of the hook, off she floated. BANG away went the line, at the end of some 50m of line so a lovely 36cm Trevally. Nice fish to start the day.

No 2 son was in the cab shooting the creatures with his laser beam but still shouting out “Have I caught one yet daddy” (given I baited, cast’d and monitored his line).

No 1 wife was waiting for the big one but missed any good catch here, her time was yet to come. There were heaps of youg Flatties brought in all of which went back in for another day.

Then here comes the Martin boat slowly cruising up to most boats inside the channel asking to see at least the number of life jackets for people on board (us included), all friendly and nice, was happy to see we had the right jacket for our No 2 4yo son. He asked the boats anchored in the channel to move behind the markers.

We then went out just inside the Southern head for some cod, and some other strange rock fish thingy’s. We caught lots of slime’y mackerels. We then found some interesting biological inhabitants living in the mouths of the mackerels. I pulled one out with the pliers and they looked like big flat white slaters. Does anybody know what they are? My son loved it as his into all things wrong and broken.

Over to Kurnell down stream from the jetty (along with 2.1 million other boats) Anchored up, burley’d out and smiled and waved a the next boat only about 10 meters away. No 2 son was having a great day what with the creatures living inside the fishes months, he continued to play in the cab (a must have for families with young kids.

Then my wife line bends and the struggle began, after what seemed a lifetime my wife brought up a 45cm Sergent Baker (never seen one before) and she was wrapped. I have searched the net for the word on the Bakers and some seem to say they aren’t good eating due to the amount of bones, has anybody got the goss.

Next was my No 1 rod and did she bend, a good 5-10 min bring it up, it was, wait for it, a Port Jackson 1st one for me (caught a nice Shovel nose last summer). Got it to the top and it busted off, my guess about 110cm.

All in all a great day on the Bay but it goes to shit on the way home. Cruising home along the M5 and bang, the misses thought it was all over and I pictured the arse of the boat dragging on the bitumen. It was a blow out on the trailer. Now I thought the fun was about to start trying to change it. See I needed to borrow a mate’s car with a towbar as my lone car (yet another story for another day) didn’t have one. I few things needed to fall into place before the spare was on. Did this car have a jack, wheel brace (and the right size), was the nuts rusted on, did the old shredded tire cause any damage to the trailer and or boat. All of which were OK and the tire replaced (while No 2 son was climbing the hill) and home we went.

There is always a story to tell when boating and I love them all, this is why we own them

post-1711-1156734413_thumb.jpg

The PJ was almost in the boat for No 2 son to poke

post-1711-1156734955_thumb.jpg

The BIG BANG

post-1711-1156735007_thumb.jpg

Edited by impulse

good stuff there mate good to see the whole family involved.

bad luck on the blow out. trailer problems are pretty frequent this time of year as they noramally havn t been looked at or maintained over the winter

good stuff there mate good to see the whole family involved.

bad luck on the blow out. trailer problems are pretty frequent this time of year as they noramally havn t been looked at or maintained over the winter

Ture, I'm anal when it comes to maintance and since Dec 05 I have only missed 4 weekends so my problem might be over use.

"It all started with a quick check of the weather stats links on the web (my quick link site is down due to changing ISP's, but that’s another story). The weather seemed ok for Sunday so I packed the Signature with all the family peace offerings you need when you take ones wife and child, toilet, play toys, creams, lip balm, hair brush, 3 different types of wet-ones and off we went."

"We slowly set off from the ramp (No 2 son on lap at helm skimming the concrete and bouncing off the moored boats before the bridge). Passed the bridge gained some speed only to slow down again past the 1st runway as the chop caused No 1 wife to suffer Boob Bounce (I read that in the latest F&B this month and cracked up as its so true)."

:Funny-Post: Seems like a good days fishing on the water was had. Those white things you found in the fish are some sort of parasite common in fish like mackeral and yakkas. Sorry to hear about the blow out :05: atleast there was no major damage done

Edited by gio

Well done on the day good to see the whole family out great report compared to mine but :05:

i have not suffered a blow but have had the pleasure of a colapsed bearing(6months old!!!)

I have never seen a PJ before or even come close to catching one How much fun was it??

Great pictures !!!

Edited by leaky181

Well done on the day good to see the whole family out great report compared to mine but :05:

i have not suffered a blow but have had the pleasure of a colapsed bearing(6months old!!!)

I have never seen a PJ before or even come close to catching one How much fun was it??

Great pictures !!!

They don't fight much, more like a heavy drag with a couple of light pull now and again.

great report :thumbup:

those bakers are very boney but the meat is sweet if you can be bothered. my neighbour makes a nice soup out of them but he tells me there is an art to getting it without the bones

I'll give it a go and let you know. People say that the trav's are bonny but I love them.

Thanks for the comments, and the blow-out was coming and should of picked it up earlier as there was a small wobble at low speed and but I it down to wheel alignment. I think the tread was slowly peeling from the mould.

All in all a great day on the Bay but it goes to shit on the way home. Cruising home along the M5 and bang, the misses thought it was all over and I pictured the arse of the boat dragging on the bitumen. It was a blow out on the trailer. Now I thought the fun was about to start trying to change it. See I needed to borrow a mate’s car with a towbar as my lone car (yet another story for another day) didn’t have one. I few things needed to fall into place before the spare was on. Did this car have a jack, wheel brace (and the right size), was the nuts rusted on, did the old shredded tire cause any damage to the trailer and or boat. All of which were OK and the tire replaced (while No 2 son was climbing the hill) and home we went.

There is always a story to tell when boating and I love them all, this is why we own them

The BIG BANG

post-1711-1156735007_thumb.jpg

You were not the only one with trailer trouble yesterday, when i got back to the ramp (pasley bay) at about 2:00pm there was a poor fella there changing a wheel bearing.

Then along the m3 back to parramatta i saw another 2 boats pulled over the side of the road doing some work on the trailer.

Then comming down the hill near the Bobbin Head turn off i hear a scrapping sound, i pull over and find the trailer number plate half fallen off :mad3: - a quick fix with some cable ties and im off agian.

Cheers :beersmile:

Edited by Aron

one Q...

how did the trailer land when the tire blew out?

was it grinding on the axle, the boat or the trailer?

did it go bananas?

was the tire still connected?

just basically what happened to stop it doing the unthinkable (ie. flipping)?

cheers

CFD

"how did the trailer land when the tire blew out?" Only the outer tread came away so it was still rolling on the flat casing.

"did it go bananas?" No it was pretty well balanced, the trailer stayed straight with no jack-knife in site. I was towing with the commorde so the weight was well balanced, had it been a lighter tow vehicle there might of been a problem.

"was the tire still connected?" No the tread came off and wrapped around the axle behind the wheel, I sliced my hand on the steal belt getting it of.

Hi there, impulse. Nice report. Those creatures you saw in the mouthes of the baitfish were isopods - I posted up a bit of info about them in this thread, with a pic: http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...showtopic=13385 Sounds like you had a good day. :thumbup:

Flattieman.

Yep there the buggers, my son loved them and wanted to take some home to play with.

For those interested here's a a pic of the Cymothoid

parasitic_isopod_600.jpg

"Some species of isopods live parasitically on fish, either externally or internally. One particular group, the cymothoid isopods, can live inside the mouth of a fish. Scientists believe that these isopods hook their legs into the base of the fish’s tongue, causing it to wither and eventually fall off. This leaves room for the isopod to live. (Scientists believe this does not affect the fish’s lifespan!) Some species live off the blood of the host fish, while others feed off the mucus within the fish’s mouth. The mouth parts and legs of all these isopods are well adapted for clinging to the host."

ewwwwww...... they always make me shivver,

pulling the little unsavoury characters out to do the fish a favour and having them try and grip you.

imagine that, if it actually got a good hold of you.

cutting them open is fun, full of radioactive green looking eggs

CFD

Some of the ones i cut had a shit load of little bitty babies crawling on the pliers.

I started pulling them off for the fishes but reading some more about them they "replace" the tongue plate of the fish so if you remove an adult one to fish has no tongue and may die.

It reads they don't seem to effect the fishes life span so next time i might take a look and leave them be, don't want one laying eggs in my skin, I'll scratch the little pimple in a week or 2 and find 100's of them crawling out.

[quote name= Passed the bridge gained some speed only to slow down again past the 1st runway as the chop caused No 1 wife to suffer Boob Bounce

:Funny-Post::074::074::074:

mate glad everything turned out well in the end after the minor mishap. Driving on the M2 last year saw small speed boat come off a trailer amazing stuff. Will dig up the pic as I couldn't resist :biggrin2: . sparks flying everywhere...poor bugger forgot the safety strap :wacko:

Steve

Great report Impulse , that was a great read !! I can relate to the PJ , its probably the same one I caught 3 times a few weeks ago! You are correct about their fighting abilities , I get more fight from my anchor rope !! :1prop:

Glad there was no great damage to your trailer / boat , was the tyre a recap? It is unusual ( but not impossible) for a cleanskin tyre to do this .

A couple of years ago , I was heading North along the F3 on the first Saturday after Christmas. If I had a dollar for every trailer ( both boat and box ) pulled over to the side of the road with either a flat tyre , or missing wheel , I wouldnt have had to work that day. As I recall , I stopped counting after about 20. The traffic was hellatious , the last 15KM to the John Renshaw roundabout took over an hour .

Might catch you out on the Bay soon mate !

Ross

Great report Impulse.Sounds like you had a fun day.

Pitty that the trailer tyre blew out.

I can remember about 12 years ago my dad had changed

the bearings on the trailer the night before.We left the next

morning and not far from the house we were travelling

80kph when there was a thud,then a scraping noise and the car

started to slow down from the resistance.Then we watched as the

trailer tyre overtook us and continued down the road.Lucky it was

early and there were no cars on the road as it went quite far.

I went to get the tyre and it was quickly put back on properly.

From then on we haven't had a problem with the trailer as

everything is checked twice.We always learn from our mistakes.

Glad there was no great damage to your trailer / boat , was the tyre a recap? It is unusual ( but not impossible) for a cleanskin tyre to do this .

Thanks for the comments, no it wasn't a recap to which i was surprised it happened as well.