Browns Mountain - 12 Mile Reef

R_Zee

Hi there fellow raiders,

for the 3rd week in a row myself Notti and 2 other mates went out to browns, same crew who landed the striped marlin 2 weeks ago. We got to browns early trolled for half an hour or so, cubed for over 3 hours with no fish, put a balloon out with wire trace and the striped tuna we got early nothing for hour so we went for another troll towards 12 mile.

We then decided to pick up the lures and go bottom bash at 12 mile.

As Notti was behind the wheel he was first to spot a marlin fairly close to the boat.

We dopped skirts in a blink, he chased the boat, swam next to it but didnt hit.

It showed itself a couple of times, closer than 10m to the boat then disappeared.

was quite exciting, ah well cant complain i suppose.

bottom bashed 12 mile for a couple of hours for a mixed bag then headed home.

No fin still, cant wait to get my first. It would be outstanding if some1 could help as i have been trying very hard.

below are pics of the catch

post-2217-1156766673_thumb.jpg

bad luck on the fin front but i guess you ain t complaining when you picked a marlin a couple of trips earlier.

its a long way to go for nothing but the close encounter would have been reasonably exciting.

looks like you got a resonable king there if thats any consolation

bad luck on the fin front but i guess you ain t complaining when you picked a marlin a couple of trips earlier.

its a long way to go for nothing but the close encounter would have been reasonably exciting.

looks like you got a resonable king there if thats any consolation

Thanks James,

I got that king on the last drop, douple with that big leatherjacket well over 50cm on pillies.

was quite surprised but i knew wat it was as soon as it hit.

i had a good day out there dont get me wrong... i feel like i have to wait another year to get a fin!

R-Zee bad luck on the fin mate :1badmood:

It's frustrating when your not getting any but hear of every body else getting 2-10 fin a day.

A good friend dropped by the work shop today excited about Sundays efforts.

17 hook ups 8 boated 40-65kg and 3 makos .

Most hook ups from the majority of boats came at 3.00pm.

My advice would be to head out at 5.00am North/east of browns troll/cube till 10.00am head in close

for a rest at the 12mile if nothing is happening ,then head back out there for the arvo session.

Big day but somebody has to do it. :wacko:

Hazza

Bad luck on the yfin mate but the only way you are gonna get them is by making the effort which you are doing. Continue and they will come. I wish you all the best for future trips. Its great to see riaders lately targeting and doing well on some highly regarded species. The marlin was awesome and the yfins and makos boated recently are tops :thumbup: . Dont give up

Mate the YFT areout there you just got to be persistent, I didnt get the chance to get out there amonst them last weekend but hopefully will this weekend.

The king looks like a pretty good size.

Atleast you managed some nice fish for a feed

so many people always talk about putting the spread out at 12 mile and stopping there on the way home, is 12 mile a viable reef to fish soley without going to browns?

12 mile is good

all you need is some good bait, squid is my preffered option as it holds well as you are fishing 110m+ waters.

i have picked up some very decent fish there. i cant say it has really let me down.

the Leathery was the biggest i have got... double hook up with the king.

i feel like bottom bashing this weekend, i might throw a tiagra on board incase i change my mind :1prop:

let me know if you are going out ... we might meet up somewhere on the water

bad luck on the fin mate but great stuff with the king. i know a bloke who went on a charter out there saturday and came home with 6 fin around the 40kg.

they are out there thats for sure. maybe next time it will happen for you.

cheers

bad luck on the fin mate but great stuff with the king. i know a bloke who went on a charter out there saturday and came home with 6 fin around the 40kg.

they are out there thats for sure. maybe next time it will happen for you.

cheers

Everyone is getting them.

Have you been getting the kings?

Everyone is getting them.

Have you been getting the kings?

unfortunately not the kings are eluding me i dropped a couple of nice ones a few weeks back but havent landed one unfortunately. and i wont be fishing for a while as me and the :wife: are purchaseing a home soon so i have to do all the relevant stuff that goes with that. cant wait till its all sorted thats for sure.

cheers.

Edited by Kingies till i die

Bad luck about not getting a fin,but you're putting the effort in

and you'll get one soon.

You don't have to be out there early as most of the fish are coming

late in the afternoon.We have been getting up really early to get to

browns only to find most of the day is quiet.On the next trip we'll

get on the water about 10am,get some livies,troll around browns abit,

do some bottom bashing and start cubing at around two or three as most

of the fish are starting to bite at 4pm.

Also tuna are unpredictable and you have to be in the right place at the right time

as on our last trip we headed home only to find out the fish came on the bite 20mins later.

G,day All,

Only new to fishraider but seems like a great site.

As far as fin goes weve been out twice in the last 2 weeks and nailed 4 & 3 fin

respectivly but not at browns mountain we have been 4 miles south and then west of

the mountain and got fish but had no luck at the mountain ourselves. First trip we had

our fish by 10.30 am and second trip our first at 12.30 pm and our 2nd & 3rd at 2.30 pm

all you can do is keep looking and trying and you will come across the fish.

Regards

Richard