Report From Browns Yft 05/09/06

netic

Hey guys went out today looking to get me some more fin.

Woke up at 3.30am and headed to Kyeemagh.

Launched the boat and off to the shelf we go.

Found some pretty sloppy conditions but decided to head out anyway.

Reach the shelf and out goes the spread as per usual, trolled all the way to browns without a touch.

got to browns and the weather got heaps better and we started cubing.

Had three rods out and a very heavy cube trial.

Now before leaving i had decided that i would be the last to fight a fish between the 3 of us as my mates really wanted to get onto some bigger fins.

As we are chatting away the Tiagra goes off, we let him run for a minute and then bang, he's hooked.....my mates fighting .....great start only 20 minutes into cubing.

at first the fish seems to be coming in easy and my mate calls it for a smaller fin but then it just realise's that its hook and goes crazy, taking 150 metres in no time at all.

20 minutes into this fight the second rod goes off, Hey Steve grabs the rod and lets him run for a while then strike, Woohoo double hook up.

The 2nd fish comes in just under 20 minutes and is approx 25-30 kg, but the first fish is still on

After an hour fight we bring the second one to the boat, Its about the same size as the first one with just a hell of alot more energy.

After a little bit of arguing we decide to not gaff the second one and let him have his freedom as we all have YFT in our freezers and we dont need another 30kg's of it. In attempted to remove the hook from his mouth he shakes and moves around and dives under the boat and then popped......Leader snaps ....oh well were gonna release him anyway.

After that we cubed for a little while longer before a very strong wind came though, seemed like a strong norwesta, water turned choppy fast and we got the hell out of there.

Took us 3 hours and 45 minutes to get back and we were drenched.

But all in all a good day fishing

Heres some pics and a 30 sec video my mate wanted me to make for his wife to see. Sorry this is the only vid as i had to be ready to gaff. (didnt have a fourth camera guy like normal)

Link to vid

you may need to wait a few minutes as i just uploaded it

Edited by netic

Well done again Netic on the YFT :drool: . Shame about the wind blowin up :badair::badair: . What time did they come on the bite and how long were you out there? :1clap:

Well done again Netic on the YFT :drool: . Shame about the wind blowin up :badair::badair: . What time did they come on the bite and how long were you out there? :1clap:

Mate they came on at about 9.00 - 9.30am, the double hook up was great fun and seeing the guys fight them from an observors position was just as good as catching one myself.

well done again oz, you guys are ON FIRE!

were yet to turn a reel on foreverfishings boat after hours and hours and hours of cubing

Mate i have learn that when it comes to cubing there are certain things that are done that can make you a little more successful, as i have made pretty obvious i could not stand cubing a couple of weeks ago and much preferred trolling, but now that i have done some good research i seem to be getting some better results on the cube......

Concratulations boys another great success, too bad the wind came up early but at least you all got back safe . CHEERS DAVE

Mate i was spewing , i am quite sure that we would have got more it we stayed but safety comes first so we headed straight back it and lucky we did, it was blowing a gale by the time we got to the ramp

awesome stuff netic you are really becoming a 4 season fisher kings through summer and autumn and yellow fin in winter and spring.

top fish and good to see you got your mates onto the fish before yourself i rate that.

You going to target Marlin this summer?

Guest fishrunner

Well done there netic :thumbup: , and godd to see you're ensuring the deckies get their 1st fin :biggrin2: .

You are havin a cracker of a tuna season out of your boat, congrats

cheers :beersmile:

awesome stuff netic you are really becoming a 4 season fisher kings through summer and autumn and yellow fin in winter and spring.

top fish and good to see you got your mates onto the fish before yourself i rate that.

You going to target Marlin this summer?

We are hoping to target some but time will tell, i will try and target them as im targetting Dollies.

I dont know if you guys noticed but this Yellowfins rear fin is damaged, looks old and rotten, it was like that when it was boated, anyone have any ideas on why???? Did he get attacked by something?? also he had a circle burn mark on him the size of a 20 cent piece which is visable in the photo where im holding him, the one we released also had this mark..any idea on what that is???

natural progression wpold lead you to the marlin so i thought so.

can t explain the markings.

when do the yellowfin start thinning out?

Based on previous seasons around Oct but this season has been very good so they may hang around longer

Edited by netic

FLATTIEMAN!!!

info on the cookie cutter plz :biggrin2:

Yessir, as you will it, sir! :074: Here's some info (I agree with CFD - definitely a cookie cutter - Isistius brasiliensis ):

"The Cookie-cutter Shark is named after the neat cookie-shaped wounds that it leaves on the bodies of larger fishes (Escolar, Goblin Shark, Swordfish and Yellowfin Tuna) and marine mammals.

This species has a small cigar-shaped body (up to about 50 cm in length), a conical snout and two low, spineless dorsal fins positioned posteriorly on the body. It is dark brown dorsally, lighter below, and has a distinct dark collar around the gill region (visible in the middle image). The entire ventral surface, with the exception of the dark collar, is covered in a dense network of tiny photophores (light producing organs), which in life produce an even greenish glow. The genus name Isistius is derived from Isis, the Egyptian goddess of light.

This species has small, erect teeth in the upper jaw and large triangular teeth in the lower jaw. The Cookie-cutter Shark attaches itself to its prey with its suctorial lips, and then spins to cut out a cookie-shaped plug of flesh from the larger animal.

A recent theory (Widder, 1998) suggests that the feeding behaviour of the Cookie-cutter Shark may be even stranger than originally thought. It is counterilluminated, a dark colour above and lighter below (due to the light organs).

The dark collar is not illuminated, so would be silhouetted against the light from above. The theory suggests that this dark area would look like a small fish from below, and the Cookie-cutter Shark would wait for a larger predator to attack the "small fish". As the predator is about to attack, the Cookie-cutter Shark would turn and attack the attacker. The forward motion of the larger animal may even assist the Cookie-cutter Shark in removing the plug of flesh.

In addition to plugs of flesh from larger animals, the Cookie-cutter Shark is also known to eat squid. There are even reports of this species leaving crater-marks on the sonar domes of nuclear submarines (more information).

Cookie-cutter Sharks are recorded from scattered localities around the world. In Australia they have been recorded from Queensland, New South Wales, Tasmania and Western Australia. They vertically migrate, being found in deep water, probably below 1000 m during the day, and migrating into surface waters at night.

A second species of Isistius is the appropriately named Large-tooth Cookie-cutter Shark I.plutodus."

That info was sourced from here (more pics here too): http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/fish/ibrasil.htm

Flattieman.

post-1466-1157459678_thumb.jpg

post-1466-1157459695_thumb.jpg

Edited by Flattieman

I knew the walking Fishraider encyclopedia would have the answer for me, Thanks flattieman

Well done mate, top effort and great report. Good to see they are still out there. We thought they headed south for a while there when the Jellybeans showed up.

How was the water temp? Did you go through any sharp inclines/declines?

Mate unfortunately due to my mate having a through hull transducer he dont have temp on it so i couldnt tell you.

hey flattieman how in this world do you no so much about such weird things?

Hi James. I've always been fascinated with marine life - always read and watch documentaries etc. etc. Fish and fishing are some of my passions - I like to learn about the stuff! After all, we know less about the bottom of the ocean than the dark side of the moon.

Flattieman.

Netic does it again....Started with the Kingies then the Dollies, now the Yellowfin...next stop Marlin City I reckon !

Good stuff mate, hopefully the expected change in weather goes away by the time i get a chance to go out for them next week.