Reds On Plastics

loomylover

After a bit break between our last serious red on plastics assault - the boys decided it was time to head north to a mystery location in persuit on PB's on plastics and a weekend away.

I'm not gonna babble on like i usually do - rather let the pics and stats do the talking. Over the two sessions we had (saturday afternoon and sunday morning) we probably managed only 5 hours on the water in total. We scored a total of 23 snapper to 4kg (average about 2.5kg) and a heap of undersized and a couple of better kingfish. The place is pure heaven.. all fish caught on plastics and 1/8oz heads.

Enjoy...

post-302-1160654815_thumb.jpg

post-302-1160654968_thumb.jpg

post-302-1160655077_thumb.jpg

post-302-1160655124_thumb.jpg

post-302-1160655181_thumb.jpg

post-302-1160655275_thumb.jpg

The pics and numbers of fish his sort of size was endless...can't wait till next months trip. Gear used as usual was the standard bream combo/4lb fireline/20lb vanish combination

Edited by loomylover

Guest fishrunner

Some cracker Reds there :yahoo: , Congrats

And on the bream gear they would've put up a damn good fight ,

cheers,

:wacko: I'm sooo envious

After a bit break between our last serious red on plastics assault - the boys decided it was time to head north to a mystery location in persuit on PB's on plastics and a weekend away.

I'm not gonna babble on like i usually do - rather let the pics and stats do the talking. Over the two sessions we had (saturday afternoon and sunday morning) we probably managed only 5 hours on the water in total. We scored a total of 23 snapper to 4kg (average about 2.5kg) and a heap of undersized and a couple of better kingfish. The place is pure heaven.. all fish caught on plastics and 1/8oz heads.

Enjoy...

The pics and numbers of fish his sort of size was endless...can't wait till next months trip. Gear used as usual was the standard bream combo/4lb fireline/20lb vanish combination

mystery location = seal's rock???

Bloody brilliant work guys! what sort of depth were you at if you don't mind helping me out a little? Been trying and trying but always about 2 mile out and it is near impossible to get them to the bottom! you guys look to be in fairly close? When we have been baitfishing for snapper we seem to do better the further out we go? Full moons have produced better fish and most of the fish we have caught have been around 5-6am in the morning or 5-6 pm in the arvo.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers,

Stallo

now like everyone else im thinking WTF IS UP WITH THE MASSIVE GASH ON THE KINGY!!!

weird :wacko:

:dito: ! Fantastic job as usual, loomylover! It seems that some people are really doing well out of the "Snapper on plastics" frontier. Some fantastic reds there - I would be happy with just one of 'em caught on bait! As CFD mentioned, what is up with the kingy's gash? Gaff shot? Shark?...

Flattieman.

Thanks for the comments guys - im pretty happy with the weekends results - but i think we've only scratched the surface of how good the spot is. Spot in question is further north of both the hat and SWR

As for the gash, the king was like that when it was landed - so you'd have to assume a shark swipe - it didn't deter his fighitng ability on the super light gear though!

Loomy that is an unreal result for around 5 hrs fishing! :yahoo: Top pics as well mate! :thumbup:

I reckon you may be right in saying you may not have scratched the surface in regards to the potential of the area. I can't wait to see the pics of a 10kg Red that you're going to get on the placcies.

Can you give us an insight into what your prefered plastics are & the jighead weight you are using?

Cheers,

Grant.

Loomy that is an unreal result for around 5 hrs fishing! :yahoo: Top pics as well mate! :thumbup:

I reckon you may be right in saying you may not have scratched the surface in regards to the potential of the area. I can't wait to see the pics of a 10kg Red that you're going to get on the placcies.

Can you give us an insight into what your prefered plastics are & the jighead weight you are using?

Cheers,

Grant.

Grant,

Me and the usual partner in crime think it's very realistic to be able to land a 10kg on the light gear we're using - time will tell though.

As for the plastics, berkley gulp 5" jerkshads are the standout - with zoom superflukes also accounting for some nice fish also. In the jerkshads "sardine" is the standout colour most definately. Have also been testing some new plastics that will be hitting the market late this year - more info when that comes closer.

As for jigheads, we used to fish 3/8oz as the general rule - we now use 1/8 - and the catch rates have predictably soared. Of course this all depends on the water depth your fishing and the level of movement in the water. Last weekend we caught all our fish in anything from 10-25metres of water, in which case the 1/8 is usually fine.

Wow Loomy,

They're some swell snapper! I can't believe that you got them on those squidgy things.....

My wife also thinks that your fishing partner is a bit of a spunk and that he looks great holding those lovely fish. Would you believe it, but she wants to know if she can come fishing with you and the "pin-up boy" some time?

Keep up the great work.

Cheers,

Pete (one eye) pirate.

Gidday Fletch,

I was wondering the same thing, and from a glance it looks like Loomy was using a Quantum Energy Pti / Daiwa Heartland Z combo, with the unknown "pin up" boy using a Daiwa Heartland "Saegaki" / Sol 2000 combo (worked in the tackle industry for yonks).

Take it from me Fletch-old-boy and give pansy-type tackle like what Loomy lover and "pin up boy" use to your bream and whiting applications and get something substantial like a 6 kg rod and a 3000 - 3500 size reel. You'll still enjoy the same sensitivity and finesse of the light rod/reel combo but have a bit more grunt to pull in those "stop the bus" type reds that we all love to catch. STOP THE BUS!!!!!

Arrrh,

Pirate (one eyed) Pete

Fletch,

When purchasing anything in this crazy mixed up world you can spend what you want to, or afford to, with price usually being proportional to quality and in the case of fishing gear this rule definitely applies. When cosidering an outfit for snapper on plastics I'd definitely be steering clear of the budget end and only considering mid to high end tackle. For a decent rod expect to pay $100 - $200 and for a reel $200 - $300. Stick to your larger well known brands cause the last thing you want is a mechanical problem when a "stop the bus" red hits your 5 inch jerk shad.

Where abouts are you located? Have you had much success with the ol' nobblies in your area?

Pirate (one eyed) Pete.

im in sydney (fishing broken bay) and all i have caught is 2 just shy of 1kg ..... i am hoping to do alot more reef fishing this year instead of chasing the marlin and i am hopeing to get into some decent reds and kings

at the moment i don't have a price range but was looking at spending $400 or so (dont have alot of money :( ) can you suggest anything in that range (mainly daiwa or shimano for the reel)

sorry for hijacking the thread :ph34r:

is it possibably if you could replie via PM so i dont get in trouble :1prop: