My Livebait Tank

njsconst

Here is some pics of my Livebait tank that I made. Had a sheet metal worker make the box up out of 316 stainless steel at a cost of $120. I then fitted the clear perspex lid with some S/steel hinges and elastic loop catches to hold it tight.

post-2204-1160900909_thumb.jpg

At the rear I fitted a drian which contects to 25mm flexible hose that drains through the transom.

post-2204-1160900926_thumb.jpg

Inside I fitted a Rule 500GPH bilge pump to aerate the water through some slotted electrical PVC pipe.

post-2204-1160900949_thumb.jpg

It fits neatly into the boat. The best thing is that it can be easily removed out of the boat altogether for cleaning and those family days on the water when it's not needed (not that there's many of them).

post-2204-1160900965_thumb.jpg

I have fitted a s/steel pick up which feeds fresh water into the tank when under way. A nylon gate valve from a irrigation shop regulates the water as need. The feed hose is the translucent one. Its all held in place nicely with two s/steel turnbuckles.

post-2204-1160900984_thumb.jpg

I've never measured it accurately, but it holds about 80-90 litres of water when full. This can be reduced by lowering the PVC pipe upright inside the tank. I usually only have it about 2/3 full.

I've had 20+ slimies in it at once and they all stay alive without any problems. I am very happy with the finished product which cost me in total about $220. I must say it is very satisfying custom building your own to suit your individual needs and boat. The one in the BIAS catelogue sells for $260. I reckon mine is heaps better quality, not all that plastic crap.

Very nice cusom tank.

Is the outflow pipe greater than the inflow?

Cheers

inhlanzi

Intake hose is only 13mm dia

Outake hose is 25mm dia.

However, depends on the speed of the boat. At 30 knots the pickup/intake is like a garden hose on full bore. Thats why there is a gate valve on the intake hose. Its to regulate the intake. If I have the intake gate valve right open and cruise along at 20 knots or greater the out-take cant drian quick enough, thus the tank would over flow.

You would be suprised how much pressure there is behind those little transom mounted pick-ups when you are at speed, up on the plane. They work a treat!

Edited by njsconst

that is a great neat looking job. just 1 question will it have any bearing on the livies that its stainless with the sun bearing down on it during a hot summer because I would like to make one as well

thanks

Noah,

Never had a problem with it getting too hot. The water is continually replenished with fresh stuff so its not as if the same water is in there all day baking in the sun. I've had over twenty slimies in it at once, made the one hour run out to various FADS/Browns and fished for hours and never had a problem.

It's the same old rule with all livebait.....keep the water fresh!

On the odd occassion when a livie is hooked deep and it dies in the tank, get it out quick smart. I have found that when a livie dies and left in the tank it somehow makes all the others die.

Edited by njsconst

Noah,

Never had a problem with it getting too hot. The water is continually replenished with fresh stuff so its not as if the same water is in there all day baking in the sun. I've had over twenty slimies in it at once, made the one hour run out to various FADS/Browns and fished for hours and never had a problem.

It's the same old rule with all livebait.....keep the water fresh!

On the odd occassion when a livie is hooked deep and it dies in the tank, get it out quick smart. I have found that when a livie dies and left in the tank it somehow makes all the others die.

thanks for that reply that was my only concern once again great job.I might be asking for advice as I only have a small one which is good for nippers and poddies

G'day guy and gals,

Below is my effort of a self installed live bait tank.

Got a 60lt ice box off ebay for $46 and then bought all the bits and pieces from Bias and Bunnings. Installed a Dual hose connection which runs a deck wash and also regulates the water flow to the bait tank. Used a piece of 16mm electrical conduit for the outlet. Also glued some velcro to the bottom which grips to the carpet. All the connections are sprinkler fittings so I can quickly disconnect it a put the rear seats back in. Just installed it a few weeks ago so I haven't put it to good use yet.

These bait tanks are tops, better than those you can but at the tackle shop.

Love to make one myself, but wouldn't know how to get the plumbing right.

Is there a guide on how to make a tank that works! (Inlet, outlet, pumps and airaters)

Got the perfect container, just dont know what to buy to make it work?

Can somone direct me, and more than likely other readers.

Cheers, Popeyepete

Popeyepete,

Attached is a photo of the pickup and pump I set up. When you are motoring the water is forced up the pickup through the pump and into the tank, and when you stop you just switch the pump on to keep the water flowing. Make sure your outlet pipe is bigger than your inlet otherwise your tank will over flow. I installed a deck wash but you don't need to go to extent.

Popeyepete,

Attached is a photo of the pickup and pump I set up. When you are motoring the water is forced up the pickup through the pump and into the tank, and when you stop you just switch the pump on to keep the water flowing. Make sure your outlet pipe is bigger than your inlet otherwise your tank will over flow. I installed a deck wash but you don't need to go to extent.

Thanks for that reply osprey rider, it helped me out alot.

Just wondering how you set-up the pickup so water comes in while underway? Do you buy it? And does the pump suck water from the same tube as the pick-up device?

Is it just a case of buying/making a bent tube that connects to the inlet of the pump?

Domza,

You buy the pickup from bias and the 500GPH pump screws to the pickup. The pickup already has holes in it to screw the pump on, just smear a little sikaflex to the bottom of the pump so you get a nice seal. ie: don't tighten the screws to much as I did. The pump didn't work and I thought I was sold a faulty one, so I pulled it all apart to tack it back. What a waste of time.

Once you have done that just connect the one hose to the pump which does the pick up as well.

Guest fishrunner

Nice job Njconst and Osprey Rider, I have a similar set-up plumbing wise with the inline valve etc.

You can also get an adjustible slider for the pump with scoop, so if beaching you just slide it up :biggrin2:

set mine up so as the scoop actually sits between the strakes on the hull, picks up minimum crap(still gets the odd leaf once in a blue moon) . works a treat though :thumbup:

post-647-1161157232_thumb.jpg

post-647-1161157695_thumb.jpg

cheers

Edited by fishrunner

Guys - Just looking at some of the pics in this thread and thought I would throw in my two bobs worth..

Be aware that direct water intake into some pumps via the scoop at high boat speed, can overpressurise the impeller housing of the pump and force water into the pump motor via the shaft seal in the pump. Had one Rule pump stuffed due to this.

Reinstalled the blue plastic strainer cap that it came with the pump, this creates a 3 or 4mm gap between the top side of the scoop plate and the pump intake port and allows excess pressure to dissapate.

Still plenty of pressure for the scoop to charge the bait tank (even at slow to avg boat speed) and no more stuffed pumps.

Thought my home made set up was pretty flash but some great work being done by some on here.

John

• 2 weeks later...