Fishing Magazines

Lasty

Any fisherman worth his salt would have read Fishing Mags all their life.

Even though Modern Fishing is a sponsor I have always read this magazine ever since I can remember :biggrin2:

I still vividly remember the pictures of Bernie Clarke on the front cover of a very old issue with a monster KINGFISH taken from the stones in New Zealand.

He was my idol for years with tales of monster snapper as well from the beach.

If you dont read them ,you should as the info from them and the anglers who supply it can not be dismissed.

Cheers Stewy

Guest danielinbyron

yeah modern fishing rox .

I wrote to them once re a fish handling question and they had a biologist on hand who replied..

bush and beach is a good paper to and has more local news..

I collect old fishing books and encyclopedias..Encyclopedia of Australian fishing circa 1979 was a magazine that came in weekly installments over 48 weeks , and has a binding..or two actually as a complete series...

Its still one of my favorite reference books..I dig those beautiful old drawings.... An art thats been lost in technology..Otherwise in nearly 30 yrs its amazing how little has changed really..

I get modern fishing religiously but will also get others if something on the cover strikes my attention,

I have learned a lot from the articles in these mags from tying nots to techniques and understanding the fish that I'm chasing, nothing better I reckon then when you can't get out for a fish than to read about it and dream of the endless possibilities that our great hobbie has to offer and I'm with CFD the freebies are good to :thumbup:

Hi guys , being trapped up here in the Blue Mountains I find freshwater fishing australia and modern fishing full of up to date info, written by people who fish the areas they are writing about, not just an experience from several years ago . :1fishing1: cheers troutboy

i normally get fishing monthly and fishing world, but never take em to serious alot of information is distorted and not much information is being given at the end of the day,

and in true fishing mags style advertisements everwhere.

James - if you're not getting much info from the mags then you're not reading them right!!

There's plenty of great tips in most mags that I've read - although it does depend a bit on how knowlegable the reader is (i.e. the more you already know the less you'll get out of the mags).

Modern Fishing is a good mag and I like the glossy adds anyway (bit of a tackle junkie at heart)

NSW Fishing Monthly also good, hanging on to back issues gives a bit of a chronological perspective of what species should be around through the year if you care to look back at them. Has helped me on occasions.

John

James - if you're not getting much info from the mags then you're not reading them right!!

There's plenty of great tips in most mags that I've read - although it does depend a bit on how knowlegable the reader is (i.e. the more you already know the less you'll get out of the mags).

mate i read them right i reckon they are just filled with repetative rubbish, in some cases you find there is good info but most of the time they are old reports that are little help when published

most of the time the local reporters are from charter operators and fishing shops i think its very hard to take those reports serious as they would be vary bias to there areas.

if they help you thats good for you but im sure you will eventually catch on

Well they are running a business afterall, take out the ads and we'd be paying $30 an issue

na mate there bottom line is not my problem and certain ads are ok but when nearly every page has an ad then its just a little to much and excessive.

I am avid reader of fishing magazines and have a HUGE collection that goes into the vertical filing cabinet every few months. The problem with these magazines is that most of the articles are written by only a handful of authors. This is both good and bad as there are some authors I have little or no respect and others who I just can't get enough. One of my favourites is David Green. Perhaps they should have a larger number of authors to draw from!!!

If you are new to fishing then all the techniques and simple instructions are great but if you have been reading them for over 2 decades then there aren't many things that are new. I don't know if it is me but things seem to go in circles. Like this deep water jigging . I guess high speed spinning will be next!

No matter what you read, the best information comes from time on the water!

Cheers kelvin

na mate there bottom line is not my problem and certain ads are ok but when nearly every page has an ad then its just a little to much and excessive.

Yep you're right it's not your problem but the harsh reality is that the guys that produce the mags have budgets that they have to meet just like every other business, fail to reach that and one of 2 things will happen, they;ll get rid of those blokes and employ someone else who will or they'll ditch the mag.

I manage 2 community newspapers and I always here from people that there are too many ads in your paper but if I don't deliver on the advertising/editorial % I'm out of here. So the harsh reality is that the ads are nescesary for the publication to remain both affordable and to exist. at the end of the day if you don't like the format you can always decide not to buy it and if I was buying something every month I thought I was getting nothing out of I'd be asking myself why am I spending the $$$$.

I've always found that if your going to learn something you've got to be open to learning in the first place. I reckon if you come away from reading a mag,book or doing a course and you learned just one thing you didn't know before then your better off then you were before.

Just my 2c worth.

Guest Big-Banana

Yep you're right it's not your problem but the harsh reality is that the guys that produce the mags have budgets that they have to meet just like every other business, fail to reach that and one of 2 things will happen, they;ll get rid of those blokes and employ someone else who will or they'll ditch the mag.

I manage 2 community newspapers and I always here from people that there are too many ads in your paper but if I don't deliver on the advertising/editorial % I'm out of here. So the harsh reality is that the ads are nescesary for the publication to remain both affordable and to exist. at the end of the day if you don't like the format you can always decide not to buy it and if I was buying something every month I thought I was getting nothing out of I'd be asking myself why am I spending the $$$$.

I've always found that if your going to learn something you've got to be open to learning in the first place. I reckon if you come away from reading a mag,book or doing a course and you learned just one thing you didn't know before then your better off then you were before.

Just my 2c worth.

*applauds*

I like David Greens work, Alistar Mcglashan is awesome. So many respected authors in these mags.

I have never got a subscription to modern, but still have boxes full of them, mostly older, good read. I prefer the fishing world mags, simply to collect all the rod recipies, modern went a few years without them.

Saltwater mag is a top read but only comes out seasonally... :thumbdown:

I used to buy the two main mags religiously, but nowadays I only buy them when there is an article or two that I'm really interested in. I also buy the odd fly fishing magazine when something catches my eye.

The one publication that I make sure I always buy is NSW Fishing Monthly. Not only does it keep me informed of what's happening in my neck of the woods, but when I'm planning a trip away, I can look back at previous issues to see what was on the bite at my chosen destination at certain times of the year.

Shane

Yeah, NSW Fishing Monthly is my pick. All the articles relate to my backyard and gives me hot spots to try in all the surrounding Sydney waterways. They also run a comp each month on finding things hidden in the mag. So far I've won a couple of lures and something else ( can't remember) over the past few years. Articles are written by the same authors each month, but these guys are seasoned fishos and like them or not, they should know what they're talking about, and good value at the price.

A tip guys that I have picked .After subscibing to Fishing Monthly for several years, I keep them stored in 12 piles, one for each month.Before planning a trip I will read through the reports each year for that month, you soon learn the patterns of different fish and can know what to expect and plan accordingly.Also if you want to learn the truth of the article, look VERY closely at the photos and you can spot if the fish was really caught at low tide or in winter or on plastics etc. :biggrin2: