Flying Fish

Penguin

Just wonderin has anybody seen a flying fish, :flying:

My mate Bill and I saw one just outside south head recently,I couldnt believe

my eyes :1yikes: when this thing that looked like a giant dragonfly,just took

off out of a wave and flew past us with its wings/fins buzzing at a hundred miles

an hr,as it came past us we noticed it was a fish flying,then it nose dived into

the back of a wave and was gone.

Anyone had the same experience?

:beersmile: penguin

:biggrin2: Yeah seen heaps of them mate. It never ceases to amaze me the distance they can cover when airborn.

I fished a season on a game boat & we used to see them alot. In the Caribbean they are everywhere when you travel betwwen islands. :thumbup:

Very cool fish!

Cheers,

Grant.

Guest danielinbyron

I think i put in my last report i saw the first ones i have ever seen off the rocks the other day.. I was getting them to fly with a popper disturbing the water .. See them on the boat all the time , but never from the stones b4.

Anyone got a photo of a flying fish,and what are

they called,what name do they have,surely its

not Flying Fish.

:beersmile: penguin

yeah I have seen heaps. I do heaps of offshore yacht racing and they often land on the deck in the night. There are quite a few different species and they belong to the genus Cheilopogon. Their wings are simply extended pectoral fins. The first one i saw landed on my lap at about 2 am when I was on watch. I had never seen one before and I nearly S**t myself. They don't so much as fly, but glyde as they launch themselves at high speed out of the water to escape predators. The predators cannot see them because of the refractive index of water.

Hopes this helps in your quest for flying fish.

p.s they are awesome bait fresh or live

davo

Most fishes have curved corneas. Flyingfishes have flattened corneas that enable them to focus in and out of the water. This didn't seem to help the fish in the image. It was caught after its flight was abruptly terminated by District Fisheries Officer M. Proctor's head.

hahaha, thsi is fromt eh website above

Guest IFishSick.

Guys and Gals,

If ya wanna see some flying fish in action, check out this link - incredible!

:Funny-Post: Incredibly funny :mfr_lol: couldn't stop laughing. Amazing what you can spark with a spotlight.

I've seen em, but not since about 20 years ago when I used to spend a lot of time on the water as a handliner fisho, I do know that they do not actually fly as in wings flapping but glide accross the surface and for a hec of a long way, kinda like those possums which have the flaps between their legs and extend to glide through the trees.

We would come across them all the time through summer when trolling outside. If drifting overnight while outside they would land in the boat on the odd time.

When I was in the Cook Islands they were the prefered bait to swim behind the boat. They rigged them up very similar to a swimming mullet.

Cheers

Back when i was in the NAVY I spent a lot of time travelling up north and in some of those places there are tonnes of em. We used to wake up in the morning and head out for a smoke and the upper decks would be covered in them from where they flew into in the night. sometimes if you were outside you would here a big thud and you knew one of them silly little things had just flown into the side of the ship