Coming To Town

Brian

Hello Raiders,

I've been looking at all of your reports, especially Sydney, and what can I say? It's just getting better and better. I grew up on Middle Harbour and caught my first fish off Killarney wharf (1973), as well as smoked my first smoke, drank my first beer and all that stuff (not 1973). There and Bantry Bay. What I remember though is, as the oysters disappered so did the fish. Now the oysters are back (last time i looked, about 8 years ago) and so are the fish. In the mid 90's I was one of these lucky blokes we all envy who fish mid week and leave the circus to the weekends. The kingfish and salmon were just as full on and we got them regularly on lazers and slugs without a problem. I gave it all up when the boat got sold but, that's marriage, mortgage, kids and a new job. Now things have changed. Got the boat back(bigger and better) but, live 500ks from Sydney and 100ks nw of Tamworth. Split Rock Dam and Lake Keepit are my new playgrounds.

I had one particular experiece in Middle Harbour in 96 when I had a whole school of kings, all about 70cm+, to myself. I was coming in from the Harbour proper and and spotted some birds. Next thing the water was boiling, thick with fish. It was over the sand flat between Castle Rock beach and Balmoral. About 10ft of water and no snags. I decided to have some fun and used a 3kg outfit to give them a fighting chance. A joke that was. I had 2 in the boat and 1 on the hook when a boat pulled up beside me. Thinking it was a fellow reco I thought nothing of it until, to my disgust, the boat took off to the shore. I realised it was a commercial boat. I watched as these blokes anchored a net to the beach at Castle Rock and litterally ran it out from the beach, around my boat and the school and back to shore. I was numb with anger and saw the net go under the boat with all the fish. If only I'd dropped the anchor! So there went about 400 fish and I've never had a really good session since. Rang the NSW Fisheries but all they could say was, they can take the fish but should have let you have your bag.

So having had my winge what I'm interested in is, Are the fish numbers improving since the commercial ban in the Harbour or are there still blokes who can net the Salmon and Kings?? I read about all the kingie reports and using downriggers but, we always used to either spot a school on the surface, or drop over a livie. Sow and Pigs on a rising tide about 8 or 9 in the morning was always a sure bet. Anchor north of the reef about 20-30 mteres out and burley hard. Get the yakkas out and drop one back. You could see the kings fighting fot them! Are they still going off like that?

What colour and size are the squid jigs that are working best? It seems that squid are all the go now.

I am coming to Sydney on Sunday the 05/11/06 and will be fishing Middle Harbour/Sydney for about 3 days and 1 on the Hawks so I'd really like to grab a few tips, since things seem to have changed a bit in the last few years. I'd also like to meet a few of you guys out on the water. I've got the 16ft Clarke Tinnie with the 50 Yammie. I've seen some of your boats on the post so i'll keep and eye out.

Cheers,

Brian P.

PS: I wish there was this type of site about 10 years ago. It's a great way to keep in touch when your water time is limited. I'm struggling with the layout and way to set out these posts so if I've dropped it in the wrong place Sorry. I'll work it out as I go.

welcome to fishraider mate.

seems like you had some great days on the waters of Sydney.

i reckon when you get back home you will find the fishing has definately improved.

looking forward to hearing more reports

cheers James

hi

now to the fishin the harbour has gone foward in leaps n bounds since comercial fish was banned

so u should not have a problem getting some kings

as for squid jiggs i use the smallest yiozuris in pink and orange and never seem to have a problem gettin enough for the days fishin(touch wood) i dont use a downrigger as i dont have one yet but still manage to catch my fair share of kings

so good luck and hopefuly u can get onto a couple while u are down here

G'day Brian, :1welcomeani: This is a really good forum for fishos - be them old hands, gurus, chumps or voyeurs. I am the chump by the way.

You wish that you had forums and sounders in your day, and we wish the fishing was what it was like in your day. I think they even out. Having said that, all the technology in the worked does not guarantee fish, you will need to really on know how. You will probably find that the same spots that worked for you all those years ago still produce, but it definately is encouraging to hear all the good reports floating around.

Pink Yozuri squid jigs do it for me, especially the small ones at the moment.

Haven't fished Sow and Pigs much, but will give your suggestion a try some day.

Weather permitting, I should be out on Saturday, so look out for me. I am in the Haines Hunter 445F centre console, you would remember those boats yeah? :biggrin2:

By the way, you did put your posting in the wrong section. You really should have put it in the Fishing Chat section. I am sure the administrators of this site will point you in the right direction.

Edited by 445F

Brian yes the fishings getting better every year and you will find your old spots are once again fireing and the old techniques still work well. Its just were all fashion victims in Sydney and need to keep up with the joneses hence everyone wanting a downrigger.

cheers phil

PS I remember a school of rat yellowfin in the same spot in that year

Edited by phild

:1welcomeani: to the site Brian and it will all come together on the forums pretty quickly for you :thumbup:

Cheers Swordfisherman

Thanks for the welcome. I'm trying to get some photos on my Glenbawn post but it's telling me the file is too big. What am I doing wrong?

i grew up on middle harbour, and I can tell you that those Pros used to put those nets out and sweep the whole of the Dobroyd region. Day after day, taking schools of kings with it. no matter how much we complained to fisheries they were legal at the time. The seagrass has never recovered.... fortunately things often slowed down for the pros when they were continually buzzed by some unnamed locals in tinnies!!! especially in school holidays......

things can only get better with the commercial bans....

Duke

That was typical of the commercial fishermen - i once saw them net completely across middle cove.

From the amount of early season activity in Middle Harbour that has been appearing on all of the fishing sites - this year looks like it is going to explode in the Kingy stakes...

Lots of big kings already being landed by downrigging around the deeper water moorings - a good sign of whats to come.

:1welcomeani::1welcomeani:

brian to :1fishing1: raiders

and good luck on your three day fishin trip in sydney

i hope to go to middle harbour on tusday

:beersmile: robert :thumbup::thumbup:

PS keep on fishin and keep it safe :beersmile:

Cheers Mate,

I'll keep an eye out for you. My boat is called The Hood'lum

Hi Brian, welcome to the site

Mate i have always heard about the fishing back then, a few of my mates used to fish MH often in the late eighties early ninetys and they talk about days that you used to catch 50+ kings in a session every session.

At this stage it isnt back to those times yet but i feel it is definately on the way up, Each season it is improving and fisho's are much better educated when it comes to releasing fish.

Hopefully over the next 5 years we will once again see kings school all over the harbour and rec fisho's can enjoy catching this great light sportsfish.

Welcome... The good ole days!! I guess now we had the pro ban things are looking up. Just compare Syd Harbour to pittwater and there is no comparison. Things should be improving all the time if the fish stocks are left to the rec fishers. I still remember all those kingy traps at north and south head, the netting at rose bay and middle head!!! It is amazing what a few individuals can do to ruin it for the rest of us.

With the ban in pro fishing in syd harbour there seems to be NO drop in the fish supplies at the shops and NO increase in price due to lack of supply. I only fear that the pros will be let back into the harbour as there is some talk of fish like Kingfish being OK with dioxin. Just hope it doesn't happen.CHeers KElvin