Sydney Fad

Fisherman5

Hi all,

Just wanted to no if anyone new if they were going to deploy the Sydney Fad off Whale Beach? I've been monitoring the the fisheries website and still seems it hasn't been deployed :thumbdown: .

Just another question guys I'm purchasing a downrigger for christmas, how would I go downrigging for Dolphin fish? As I never seen it being done only on the Kingies.

Thanks all

Mitch

Hi Mitch i dont know why they are taking so long with the deloyment of this Fad off Manly when it seems all the others are out, but you can contact them on website below. They are easy to talk to and will give you info you need. Cheers Dave

www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/recreational/fads

That fad should be there within 2 weeks, It will be situated 8.5 km noreast of north head.

Downrigging for dolphins is not very common as Dollies dont take a livie in one hit, as soon as they feel pressure they will let go. Thats why dollies are mainly caught on free spool

That fad should be there within 2 weeks, It will be situated 8.5 km noreast of north head.

Downrigging for dolphins is not very common as Dollies dont take a livie in one hit, as soon as they feel pressure they will let go. Thats why dollies are mainly caught on free spool

will that one hold dollies?

Thanks for your feedback guys. Its a nice easy FAD to get to for some fun on the Dollies especially on light gear. We visited it a few times back in season and as Netic said they weren't overly big they were still great fun and there were no shortage of them there.

James- I'm pretty sure it was called the Sydney Harbour FAD I didn't even know it was there until last December when we were fishing at Whale south Reef and we stumbled across it. I think it's a great location for a FAD as If the Dollies are playing hard to get you can always fish the bottom for a feed of Reefies

Cheerz,

Mitch

I think it is called the Port Jackson Fad from memory, it's put there in order to allow fishos with smaller boats a chance to access some dollies. It does get packed though in summer, i have seen over 30 boats there once, thats why fad fishing is best in rougher waters. Get the fad to yourself and also dollies seem to prefer some chop

Guest Big-Banana

I think it is called the Port Jackson Fad from memory, it's put there in order to allow fishos with smaller boats a chance to access some dollies. It does get packed though in summer, i have seen over 30 boats there once, thats why fad fishing is best in rougher waters. Get the fad to yourself and also dollies seem to prefer some chop

Really? Ive found I cant hook onto as many when theres chop if any at all! Stripeys love the chop though.

Kabz, the closest ramp would be rose bay which is around 4-5 kms from the heads and then an additional 8.5 kms to the fad.

I would be very cautious heading out that far in a 4.10 tinny.

I have been there when a southerly has kicked in and it took me well over an hour to get back to some terrible conditions, nearly capsized a few times.

I would stick closer to shore

hi all just on the boat size i have a five meter clark and have been to the fad u are talkin about u just have to get the right day

i have headed out a couple of time followin a mates boat

so if your goin to go do everything possible to do it safe check weather or follow a friend

cheers

hi all just on the boat size i have a five meter clark and have been to the fad u are talkin about u just have to get the right day

i have headed out a couple of time followin a mates boat

so if your goin to go do everything possible to do it safe check weather or follow a friend

cheers

As thunder has said, there is a big difference between a 5.0 metre boat and a 4.1 metre, i go to the fads in a 4.75, but it has a beam of 2.28 metres and also has a epirb, 70hp. Even though it is only .60 metre beigger that .60 allows it to handle much rougher waters.

you would want a dead set flat day for a 4.1 tinny. Best be safe and hitch a ride with one of the many members in here who have bigger boats. 1 metre diffence in length in a boat makes a huge difference in how it handles the sea and wind.