Killing Tackle Stores..

Guest danielinbyron

Guest danielinbyron

I just thought I'd write this stream of consciousness about the cost of a bargain in the long term for tackle stores and fishos.. I know we all love a bargain but if we are to continue to mail order or ebay to save a couple of bucks, all the time , our local tackle stores will..

A. Become even more expensive to compensate for lack of business .. As there sales drop there buying power drops and there wholesale prices may rise. Not to mention covering there staying open overheads ie power rent and wages, under decrease in turn over.

B.close ..

So when I'm paying $16 for a lure I can get from e bay or mail order at $12 or less + POSTAGE {so i'd better order a few} , there are a whole lot of advantages I get for that extra $4..$12 or $20

1. I can just drop in and get what I need as I need it..

2. I can have a chat and find out what my peers are doing..

3. I can actually hold the product in my hand and feel its weight.

4. If it malfunctions I can take it back to the place of purchase...

5. I can get advice about alternative products and whats working loacally for other people..And inspect them at close range ..

6. For all the above reasons, and the idea that someone who is supplying me a great service is gonna stay in business and continue to do so, that extra few bucks sometimes, is money well spent..

Don't get me wrong I love a bargain , but I love being able to walk in pay cash have a chat {or not} and walk out with the product i need , in hand..

I've also met some people who've become very good mates in local tackle stores and learnt a few great tricks.

Some very good points there Daniel.

I have spoken to a few friends of mine in the tackle industry & they are saying the same things. The net is really hurting them, as are the dioxins in the harbour & the joke of marine parks that we can't fish in.

Support your local tackle shops fellas. If you don't they might not be around when you really need them.

Cheers,

Grant.

Mate I agree totally.

Having said that though I do concede that I have a good local tackle store just around the corner from me and because I am a regular there prices I get are fairly reasonable anyway.

If it wasn't that convenient I probably would buy more off the net, or wait longer between purchases.

Long live the LTS! :biggrin2:

Mike

ps. I also do really like the fact that Rohit from Kingrods likes to use his work as an excuse to go fishing with his prospective customers :1prop:

Edited by Little_Flatty

That is good and dandy fellers but I'm having trouble thoughts about it.

I'm in the process of building 2 boats at the moment (35ft-17ft).

while I get my accessories at trade prices some are still cheaper on the net.

I can buy on the net Humming Bird,Furuno,Eagle,Lowrance,JRC,etc

Cheaper than I can get it at trade price.

With tackle on some net sites you can get real bargains with free delivery.

It makes you wonder the middle man how much he is making.

Personally I'm trying to avoid buying overseas, as a business owner I know the costs involved

to stay afloat,work hard to make an honest living and put food on the table.

The net would damage alot of that for alot of shop owners.

My boats need $110K to finish I can save on net buying $10.000 in total.

I wish no body buys from overseas but I wouldn't hold agrach against them if they did,you do what

you go-to do.

Hazza

Guest danielinbyron

Yeah i hear ya on the gps's and sounders Harry the difference is rediculous..

I think this will eventually have to be addressed by manufacturers and distributors ..for all kinds of products.

I was just trying to point out with tackle , what it is you get for that few extra bucks and besides my closest store being under threat of closing I have no vested interest..

If my local tackle store shuts after december the nearest one will be 20ks away ....and they'll have to be broken in.lol

With sounders the price is almost doubled and for what , a few months warranty , the good ones don't break and if it did i doubt it'll be replaced at point of purchase . And at double the price we're not talkin chump change.

I buy a lot of gear from my local store, but i also shop online from both here and overseas, like everything in life if i will buy from the place i get the best deal.

I understand that some tackle shops may be doing it hard - but that business

I get more advice from here (fr) than any tackle shop that wants to charge overs to cover there overheads etc.

Look at Watto's he does most his sales on ebay - im sure he makes a profit or he would not be doing so

Mate - i understand your situation as you come from a small town but down here in Sydney i can buy gear from 20 stores and not travel more that 10kms - (they must be doing o.k.) and in your situation if you have only got 1 tackle store in your coastal town - then i would have thought he has a monopoly

Guest danielinbyron

Yeah , i guess this stemmed from a chat i had about a local store being to expensive"a rippoff" on some products and i have to say i mail order some products as they aren't available or the mark up is to high,

ie jinkai $9 v $21.95?? and its not even always available in the weight i want.

But for a laser pro to be $4 more or some plastics $2 more , I am willing to cop as i can clearly see the benefits of the service and that the guy isn't ripping me off , as was suggested in the chat , he's just a small local business without the buying power of some other large stores and i'd like him to still be there next time i need something in a hurry....

The point is absolute best price isn't always the best over all deal.

When i examined the benefits of instant purchase, friendly service v waiting on the postee and over ordering to cover freight , with my friend he agreed..

I buy a lot of gear from my local store, but i also shop online from both here and overseas, like everything in life if i will buy from the place i get the best deal.

I understand that some tackle shops may be doing it hard - but that business

I get more advice from here (fr) than any tackle shop that wants to charge overs to cover there overheads etc.

Look at Watto's he does most his sales on ebay - im sure he makes a profit or he would not be doing so

Mate - i understand your situation as you come from a small town but down here in Sydney i can buy gear from 20 stores and not travel more that 10kms - (they must be doing o.k.) and in your situation if you have only got 1 tackle store in your coastal town - then i would have thought he has a monopoly

Agree with you there,

Im sure watto's has seen the opportunity that the internet has provided for him and therefore he uses it, i knew of wattos on ebay before i they were sponsors.

It is important to help out the local store but its more important for me to save a buck, when you have a mortgage, Car payment, bills, Kid on the way and a very expensive hobby saving a buck is important, i save well over $100 a month shopping on the net.

Like Watto's have the local store should also utilise the net,

C'mon you guys - don't give me all this bull about saving money - we're fishos aren't we? I mean how many times have you walked into a tackle shop to buy some basics and walked out with a new reel/lure/rod or whatever that you bought spontaneously!! I've lost count of the times I've done it. Call me old fashioned, but there is something good about touchy-feely - being able to hold something in your hand and say " this is me, I'll have this". You can't do that on the internet. And any way, how do you know what to buy on the net if you haven't already gone into a tackle shop to see the item in the flesh.

Long live the tackle shop, I say!!!!!!!

Russ.

Tuffy, only minutes ago i just purchased a game reel on the net, Cheapest from a tackle store was $900, i just paid $720. And this is from a creditable seller that i have purchased from before.

I like having an extra $180 in my pocket which now i will probably spend at my tackle store buying some lures etc.

Yeah - look I can understand where Daniel is coming from, but the bottom line is that this is a problem not just being faced by tackle shops. The nature of business has changed with the introduction of the internet, and businesses must change to keep up.

It's not all bad news either - the internet may have increased the number of compeditors that a local tackle shop has BUT it has also massively increased the market that the local tackle stores have access to. All of a sudden a tackle store in Bawley Point has access to buyers all around the world - instead of just the couple of hundred people who happen to live near by and the summer holiday rush.

Look at the tackle stores associated with this site, they are riding at the forefront of innovation through the internet and are finding ways to access markets that were previously closed to them. Some guys have successfully developed an add-on mail order business, but guys like Tony at Fishfinder have also used the net as a marketing tool to reach customers who previously would never have heard of him.

I'd guess that the main problem faced by tackle-store owners isn't the invention of the internet, but their reluctance to embrace it as the new medium of retail. If they just got on board they would find a world of endless opportunities.

Guest Big-Banana

Yeah - look I can understand where Daniel is coming from, but the bottom line is that this is a problem not just being faced by tackle shops. The nature of business has changed with the introduction of the internet, and businesses must change to keep up.

It's not all bad news either - the internet may have increased the number of compeditors that a local tackle shop has BUT it has also massively increased the market that the local tackle stores have access to. All of a sudden a tackle store in Bawley Point has access to buyers all around the world - instead of just the couple of hundred people who happen to live near by and the summer holiday rush.

Look at the tackle stores associated with this site, they are riding at the forefront of innovation through the internet and are finding ways to access markets that were previously closed to them. Some guys have successfully developed an add-on mail order business, but guys like Tony at Fishfinder have also used the net as a marketing tool to reach customers who previously would never have heard of him.

I'd guess that the main problem faced by tackle-store owners isn't the invention of the internet, but their reluctance to embrace it as the new medium of retail. If they just got on board they would find a world of endless opportunities.

Good Post! Times change, businesses need to change with them as well.

If my local tackle store actually had the most popular products in stock when I wander in a couple of days before a fishing trip, he'd have my business. However, in the millions of lures, line etc he has along the walls, walking in and getting an SX40 lure or a common line in the weight you want is impossible.

I don't mind if he is a couple of dollars more as long as he has the product and offers good service. But he is 'expensive' (compared to other tackle stores) and the only thing I've let him order in for me about 3mths ago (a fishing map that I can get from a tackle store 3 suburbs away 30% cheaper) I'm still waiting for.....not even a call to say its delayed.

Theres no excuse for having thousands of lures EXCEPT the popular ones - once out of stock is ok, but you make sure next time you order sufficient stock of a popular product. If they pull their finger out and get fair dinkum, I might start buying from them again, but if they continue to have the wrong stock and bad service, I'll continue to use ebay.......

Guest danielinbyron

This is great if we plan ahead for our tackle needs but I sure am gonna miss dropping in and grabbing another one of the lures i lost last night. Or some hooks or on the rare occasion i buy it , bait. Its great i can get products on line specific to my needs particularly from here..I am by no means telling people how they should buy there tackle , just pointing out that the savings made by buying on line don't always equate to an overall bargain particularly when you are put into the position of holding stock for fear of needing it and not being able to get your hands on it otherwise..

As far as all shops going on line , this is a big ask for a small business and doesn't make a whole lot of sense outside the capital and can only inevidably end with a much smaller number of much larger companies having the buying power to give the best price... This is contributed to buy manufacturers doing deals with those bigger companies to push there products , rendering smaller players into being outpriced, regardless of wether they are on line or not.

I guess i have to think how much do i have to be saving before i decide to put an order in and wait for the mailman to bring the goods. For a few extra bucks I can grab it now ..

Daniel, thats the point I'm trying to make - my tackle store never has the stock you want when you 'drop in to replace the lure you lost'.....so theres no advantage over ebay....

This is great if we plan ahead for our tackle needs but I sure am gonna miss dropping in and grabbing another one of the lures i lost last night. Or some hooks or on the rare occasion i buy it , bait. Its great i can get products on line specific to my needs particularly from here..I am by no means telling people how they should buy there tackle , just pointing out that the savings made by buying on line don't always equate to an overall bargain particularly when you are put into the position of holding stock for fear of needing it and not being able to get your hands on it otherwise..

As far as all shops going on line , this is a big ask for a small business and doesn't make a whole lot of sense outside the capital and can only inevidably end with a much smaller number of much larger companies having the buying power to give the best price... This is contributed to buy manufacturers doing deals with those bigger companies to push there products , rendering smaller players into being outpriced, regardless of wether they are on line or not.

I guess i have to think how much do i have to be saving before i decide to put an order in and wait for the mailman to bring the goods. For a few extra bucks I can grab it now ..

Guest danielinbyron

my tackle store..{s }.. listen to us and make sure they get what we need ..thats worth the extra bucks .. there are others that don't , and they are the last to get our business regardless of price..for me there are only a dozen or so consumables that i am consistantly replacing these days , and like you mentioned i always end up trying some new stuff or seeing a bargain , i also get flicked the odd thing to try out and give a report on :thumbup:

i guess its a relationship , give and take.

Well said Mondo, you have summed it up very well indeed :thumbup:

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

100% agree, if a business is not willing to move forward with the times it will get left behind,

Daniel Byron, it doesnt cost too much to get online, i know because thats what i do. The sponsors of this site being Watto's and Fishfinder have decided to take a move forward with internet advertising and sponsorship, others havent. Moving forward is call good business.

If my local tackle store isnt moving forward is that my fault or theirs, I understand where your coming from and im all for looking after local businesses may it be tackle stores or corner shops but in the end its up to them to adapt to a changing marketplace.

Websites like Ebay have allowed Tackle stores like Wattos to have access to Millions of consumers which 10 years ago he could have never had access too. And i as a consumer get access to many more tackle stores now. To me its a win/win for Tackle stores and consumers, so long as the Tackle store wants to move forward and not stay in the dark ages.

Edited by netic

Guest danielinbyron

I've seen things posted as absolute bargains on the net and typed them into google to find them $150 or about 20% cheaper... The thing is I have two reactions to this .

1 self preserving and self centered ... BARGAIN.

and secondly

2. Poor bloke if thats the best he can do on a special and i can google up that much better a deal {in less than ten seconds} then...

the distributors or manufacturers have just stuck it to him.

So i don't think that I was nescesarily being rorted by the first advertised price so much as the dealer is being screwed by the distributor or manufacturer..

The idea that the internet creates an even playing field hasn't quite come to fruition yet , and probably never will. capatalism only coincides with progress if its profitable.

Like I said its great for us, until we need it and we have to wait for the mailman to bring it..

And you know if someone was doing something i needed a little cheaper than the advertised price of one of the sponsors of this site... I'd be more likely to buy off the sponsor for the goodwill they've substantiated.

And you know if someone was doing something i needed a little cheaper than the advertised price of one of the sponsors of this site... I'd be more likely to buy off the sponsor for the goodwill they've substantiated.

And so you should, all im saying is that if i can find something considerably cheaper on the net in comparison to your local shop, why not buy it, and trust me there are certain items that are extremely cheaper. And in regards to postage time, i receive items from Asia in 2 days and from USA in 4 days and all these items are tracked so i can see exactly where my product is.

Its up to the tackle store owners to be competitive and not for me to feel a sense of loyalty and out of that sense of loyalty pay more money for items, I aint no millionaire and if i can save a few bucks here and there i will, and you will be surprised how much you may save, just going off the stuff i have bought in the past 2 months i have saved $900 as opposed to the local shop price, now thats alot of money to give up for a local guy that doesnt want to compete price wise.

Im sure everyone would like $900 extra in their pockets.

I just thought I'd write this stream of consciousness about the cost of a bargain in the long term for tackle stores and fishos.. I know we all love a bargain but if we are to continue to mail order or ebay to save a couple of bucks, all the time , our local tackle stores will..

A. Become even more expensive to compensate for lack of business .. As there sales drop there buying power drops and there wholesale prices may rise. Not to mention covering there staying open overheads ie power rent and wages, under decrease in turn over.

B.close ..

So when I'm paying $16 for a lure I can get from e bay or mail order at $12 or less + POSTAGE {so i'd better order a few} , there are a whole lot of advantages I get for that extra $4..$12 or $20

1. I can just drop in and get what I need as I need it..

2. I can have a chat and find out what my peers are doing..

3. I can actually hold the product in my hand and feel its weight.

4. If it malfunctions I can take it back to the place of purchase...

5. I can get advice about alternative products and whats working loacally for other people..And inspect them at close range ..

6. For all the above reasons, and the idea that someone who is supplying me a great service is gonna stay in business and continue to do so, that extra few bucks sometimes, is money well spent..

Don't get me wrong I love a bargain , but I love being able to walk in pay cash have a chat {or not} and walk out with the product i need , in hand..

I've also met some people who've become very good mates in local tackle stores and learnt a few great tricks.

Couldn't agree with you more. i buy all my gear from West Goford Bait and tackle run by Bob Williams. I know I will get sound advice not like at BCF or Freddies. Bob fixed the rod that the rest said could't be fixed when I first moved up the coast. So yeah i pay a few cents more , but Bob wont sell me crap!

Davo

I've seen things posted as absolute bargains on the net and typed them into google to find them $150 or about 20% cheaper... The thing is I have two reactions to this .

1 self preserving and self centered ... BARGAIN.

and secondly

2. Poor bloke if thats the best he can do on a special and i can google up that much better a deal {in less than ten seconds} then...

the distributors or manufacturers have just stuck it to him.

So i don't think that I was nescesarily being rorted by the first advertised price so much as the dealer is being screwed by the distributor or manufacturer..

The idea that the internet creates an even playing field hasn't quite come to fruition yet , and probably never will. capatalism only coincides with progress if its profitable.

Like I said its great for us, until we need it and we have to wait for the mailman to bring it..

agreed.

i once brought a plano tackle box off ebay for $10more than i could get it at ***** - that was because it looked bigger than it actually was and i did not do any reseach.

It comes down to buyer beware!

Just recently i brought a simano 650 bait runner from my local tackle shop to fit the rod rohit built for me, but not before checking to see if i could get it cheaper - they had them on ebay for $194 buy it now plus $17 postage - paid $220 at the local - and then got him to spool it for me. May have saved $9 but then had to wait for it.

The other thing is that the tackle store cannot stock every item available, and a lot of tackle stores stock items with higher mark ups to improve there bottom line

Edited by Flightmanager

The other thing is that the tackle store cannot stock every item available, and a lot of tackle stores stock items with higher mark ups to improve there bottom line

I don't understand any shop doing this - they will stock something that gives them higher markup which ends up not selling, rather than easily being able to sell the popular item at a lower markup and actually make a living AND give the customer what they want......

DV8, I'm with you on that. I shop at either Otto's or Fishoutawater depending on whether I'm at work or at home, but the guys know me and as you say, they will spool your reel for you, give advice on rigs,locations etc and generally provide sound advice because they're all fishos themselves. Regarding the pricing, I will ask for discount and usually get it depending on what I buy, and I have never felt ripped off by either of these shops.

Like I said before, long live the tackle shops - they've got my money and will continue to get it.

This, incidentally, is my attitude these days after buying something on line about 2 years ago and having my card details pirated and used unauthorised to the tune of $4900. Kinda gets you a bit twitchy about sending stuff over the wire. Got the credit back but caused a total shitfight for about 3 weeks.

Russ.