Savage Osprey - What Are They Like?

abitfishy

Hey guys,

I've got a old dehavilland 4.3 open boat forward steer that isn't a bad boat at all for the rivers, or out to Towra point on a nice day no wind etc, but I'd like something a little more comfortable, but around the 10k mark prefer no more.....since I've quit smoking (3mths now) this might be my reward. :)

I've seen around the internet the Savage Osprey range 4.8/5.0/5.2, either runabout, cuddy or half cabin, up to early 90's or so I might be able to get for the price. What are these boats like? I think I heard they were a step down from the Lancers which themselves are supposed to be great boats (and I've been on a 530 lancer which was a very capable boat). Or any alternative to the Ospreys that is similar? Must be aluminium.

Would generally only ever be used for same - Wonnie, Port Hacking, Hawkesbury, Botany Bay on nice days.

Anyone here actually own one? I know there are current style Ospreys but they are out of my league for the $$$$$.

I have a Savage Lancer 5.8 which is the big brother of the ospray and they are a very good hull and very seaworthy. Gets me to the shelf and back no probs at all. Go the Cuddy cabin, it gives you a stack more fishing room down the back.

Edited by Methodman

I have a savage osprey bowrider.

I use it mainly for fishing and it is great, I take it offshore with no problems, They are pretty comfortable in rough conditions aswell.

Mine is a 525 with a 90 Mercury and isn't bad on fuel, They have a good finish to them with Stainless Steel rails instead of aluminium, Very tidy and strong.

Nice and deep for fishing so when you do get that big one you can rest your thighs against the sides and plenty of room on the deck nice and wide.

I have a mate with a 525 osprey cuddy cab' and I have fished out of it several times. He has a 70 or a 90hp can't remember but it motors along.

The boat is really stable and handles well and has been a great harbour fishing platform.

He has taken it outside heads several times but I have not gone with him (something I need to address) so I can't comment on outside use but again has handled rough days in Sydney Harbour with ease.

If I had the money I would buy one.

Cheers

Trev

....since I've quit smoking (3mths now) this might be my reward. :)

I gave up in January and funnily enough have spent about $1500 on fishing gear in the past couple of months. It pays off, keep it up.

Cheers

Evil

ps I'm not a born again non-smoker keep puffin if you want, you'll get no sermonising from me

Edited by Evil

Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies. Seems like the way to go.

I agree with the comment about the cuddy cabin - I saw a half cabin which doesn't give tonnes of room room.

Evil, mate, as much as I'd kill for a ciggie, I really don't want to go back to a pack a day. I ended up in hospital with a collapsed lung which is why I quit in the first place......it sorta hits home and is like 'what the hell am I doing this for?'

Ta

abitfishy

I gave up in January and funnily enough have spent about $1500 on fishing gear in the past couple of months. It pays off, keep it up.

Cheers

Evil

ps I'm not a born again non-smoker keep puffin if you want, you'll get no sermonising from me

• 8 months later...

hi guys,

so i have been doing a bit of research and have heard some very good reviews on the savage lancer.

how would these compare to others like: quintrex, allycraft, stacer etc....?

also, does anyone know the specs on a savage lancer 565 sp?

panel thickness?

fuel capacity?

ability to handle 1.5m chops?

others...?

hi guys,

so i have been doing a bit of research and have heard some very good reviews on the savage lancer.

how would these compare to others like: quintrex, allycraft, stacer etc....?

also, does anyone know the specs on a savage lancer 565 sp?

panel thickness?

fuel capacity?

ability to handle 1.5m chops?

others...?

Ive sent you a PM with some links to other sites with reviews and tests ... not sure if you have already found already thou.

I also saw you other thread on the Lancer. Ringing the factory would be a good idea. Allison gave me some good advice when I was looking at my boat 2nd hand.

cheers

Rod