Fishing Bible

arpie

Hi guys

Over the years, I have read just about any fishing book and magazine printed on fishing. Most of them provide some previously unknown info that you just might find useful later on, but it is easy to forget it if you haven't noted it down somewhere.

For this reason, I started my own 'Fishing Bible'.

I have an A5 sized address/note book with A-Z tabs that I have made into my 'fishing info' bible. My name & phone no is on the front, just in case I leave it behind anywhere. Any new or interesting bits of information I put it in under the relevant letter. The 'b' section for Bream, blackfish, barra and bass has virtually all been taken up, so will overlap with the 'c' section soon! I draw in any rig ideas that I see & just write in the tip or hint (especially if from a borrowed book or even from my own library.) It is small & compact, & so easy to take with you when you travel. This is when you are likely to have the time to try the new bits out!

I also started culling my huge stash of old fishing mags, and because I wanted to keep some of the whole articles, I bought some of those plastic folders with clear inserts in them (like Esselte display book code 06-5710 A4). I put the articles in there, with plastic tabs to indicate one from the other. Some sections may have up to 10 articles in each sleeve. I have condensed a pile of magazines from about 4ft high to 3 display books full of important info. One book is purely on rigs, tips & making lures, sinkers, jigs etc, another purely on the fish of interest to me & their methods of capture and the final one is on fresh & salt water fishing spots around the country, showing relevant maps and fishing methods for the local areas.

A couple of years ago, I lost my first 'bible' and was quite distraught - virtually opened every cupboard & drawer in the place as well as searching the camper to try & find it. Couldn't find it, so started a new one.

Would you believe it, I found it last week, hidden amongst some paperwork in the guest room! Yippeee! It has been a whole new experience, reading thru what I had thought was good back then! Most of it still is (and I hadn't gotten around to trialling it!) It should be a good summer!

GIve it a go - you'll be surprised how much info you will find to put into it!

Cheers

Roberta

Great idea, you must be the sort of person who is well disciplined to have kept up the process of collecting, sorting and recording all that information.

Now you should you should publish it as a book and as a bonus make a $ or 2

"The New Fishermans Bible According to Roberta"

It would be a great Christmas gift I would want in my Christmas stocking.

Cheers

Martin

I began cutting and sorting magazine articles into various folders a while back. Its great to flip through once a year or so. That said however I don't think I'm up to the dedication you show in your 'bible'. I don't even keep a log book (which I probably should).

Cheers

Flea

, you must be the sort of person who is well disciplined to have kept up the process of collecting, sorting and recording all that information. Now you should you should publish it as a book and as a bonus make a $ or 2

"The New Fishermans Bible According to Roberta" Martin

Hi Martin

No, I am not that organised - perhaps just a bit feral about my fishing! I really only 'took it up again' upon returning to Aussie in '99 after living 15 years in NZ! I just love fishing. I am not disciplined enough to keep a fishing log (I sort of kept one in NZ with my trout fishing , but only if I caught - so it wasn't really a truthful log! Looked good tho!)

I'd been keeping 'cut outs' forever ago (eg stuff from Popular Mechanics - they had some great ideas in their big red set of books put out in the 60's.) Worth grabbing a set just for fun in a garage sale if you see them. So they all have their own folder, too - stuff I might make one day ..... I did actually make a folding boat

I keep my book by my 'tv' chair where I have my fishing library & mags. So easy to add a bit to it whilst you are thinking of it or reading it. It is never too late to start it! Everyone has some good tips that no-one else has thought of, or tried.

Perhaps we should have a dedicated 'tips' Forum - it could be called 'Fish 'n' Tips'??? I'll put my some tips from my Bible there!!

Owzat's book really would be worth it's weight in gold!

Fax me the section on Balckfish!! Incidently I reckon we should try and start a room on this site especially for balckfishing.

What do you reckon.

Davo

Perhaps we could bring this info inside the forum with its own section. Any thoughts??

Your books are a great idea Roberta :thumbup:

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

Hi Donna

I reckon the 'tip site' (so to speak!) would be utilised much more if it was in the 'forum' section on it's own - To be honest, I checked it out when I first found the site, then haven't looked since! Naughty, I know, but it is currently 'out of sight/site, out of mind' a bit! The moderators could keep an eye on what gets put into it & delete anything they think is not acceptable or is repeated. I think it would really take off! I am sure everyone has at least one tip in them to offer! That alone would give hundreds!

Fishraiders is such a 'giving' mob, I reckon they'd love 'receiving' it from the rest of them!

Let's make it the best 'tip site' of all the fishing forums in Aussie!

Cheers

Roberta

PS Just caught my biggest blackie to date yesterday - 45cm & 2.5lb on the nose! Yahoo!