Sea Sickness ... Home Remedies...

Guest danielinbyron

Guest danielinbyron

During the filming of " a thin red line " some camera crew having to film from flat bottomed punts in choppy water took fresh ginger chopped as if in tablet form as a preventative for greening out..Thats half a dozen big pill sized chunks..

I've tried this and it works , though i have never gotten sea sick to the point of vomiting anyway ... Was wondering about other home remedies for sea sickness..

Guest Big-Banana

I remember when my old man bought the boat and we went out every weekend for 3 months. I got crook as soon as we'd stop and then get crook for the following day. I tried everything! Wristbands, all types of tablets, ginger beer etc. Travacalm finally worked and then it got recalled :1badmood:

Finally I got told that NASA guys use a tablet called Avomine. I've used that since. 1/2 a tablet before bed and 1/2 as soon as I get up. Great stuff. Usually behind the counter at chemists (and it doesn't make you drowsy).

Guest johblow

Man... i feel so lucky - dont get any sort of motion sickness. Oh, actually, i went on the rotor at luna park last year, and that made me feel really bad for about 30 minutes, so i guess if i was in really really rough seas i would get sea sick. Dunno. Have been in some quite bad seas up in Qld. Anyhow great to hear now that you have something that prevents it from happening so that you can enjoy fishing even more ;-)

Hey guys ive found that eating some toast and a banana before i go out helps especially in the morning fish

I've been told this one too. Never been crook outside so i'm not much of an example but a couple of times have had toast and nannas and been fine in pretty choppy stuff.

As an aside I went on two cruises twenty years ago with three other blokes. Both times they got the greens for the first two days and I was fine. Both times they all came good and then I got the flu. Stuffed my holiday up big time twice. Sea sickness is one thing, ten days of the flu is another.

Dave

Travel sickness may occur when your sense of balance is temporarily upset. When travelling several signals are transmitted to the brain. One of these signals is from what your eyes are seeing; another signal is from the motion sensors located in the inner ear telling the body that you are moving. When these two signals contradict each other the brain can become confused which may lead to the symptoms of travel sickness.

Travel sickness occurs more frequently in situations that move you rapidly and in many directions, examples of this are boating/sailing, winding roads and air turbulence.

Once someone has had a past experience of travel sickness, anxiety can also be a contributing factor to increasing the chance of travel sickness occurring.

you can try:

1) looking out to the horizon and avoid looking down

2) make sure you dont eat or drink too much before the trip

3) avoid alcohol

4) avoid going near the engine (fumes)

5) if this all fails theres always medications

Stemetil (Prochlorperazine)- prescription

-oral (works in 30 min)

-suppositories (works withing 10 minutes)

-injection- works withing 5 minutes

Serc -(betahistadine) prescription

These prescription ones you need to weary of drowsiness.

or the best one is: Kwells (hyoscine) - available over the counter at the chemist/pharmacy.

- non-drowsy

- works within 30 minutes orally

- suitable for use in adults and children over the age of 2 years, (dose adjustments are needed for children between 2-12 yrs of age).

All these medications reduces the stimulation/sensations felt by the hair cells in the semicircular canals (balance organ in your middle ear).

none of these medication can be taken when you are pregnant by the way.

Hope this helps guys

Cheers,

Huey

There are not too many sailors who can lay claim to never getting seas sick. Its weird, I dont know waht does it. I never got it for years and have sailed thousands of miles, and I have been getting it for the past couple of years now. Usually it doesn't worry me and I can put up with it as long as I am catching fish. i know a late night before doesn't help.

Davo

Well i definately have issues with Sea Sickness

I tend to Get seasick alot more on Larger Boats.....Been told its the Higher centre of gravity....who knows

I have been using Travelcalm lately and they have worked great, when ever i use them i havent got sick and the only day i didnt a couple of months back i did get sick.

Its a terrible feeling that i am slowly overcoming.

G`day Fellas ,

Believe It Or Not , A Mate Of Mine used to turn green the minute he smelt the Saltwater.

Years of experiments went by , untill one day he was given a Ponstan Tablet , and to this day has never been sick since .

Ponstan are used by The Ladies For Period Pain.

I fortunately , am one of the Lucky ones , who never gets crook no matter how bad it gets.

I was told seasickness has something to do with the Middle Ear , but dunno wether or not it was true.

Mick

I am one of the lucky ones (knock on wood) the bigger the swell the more I like it. Mr Dalucius is one of the unfortunate has tried everything, but once the boat stops in the swell he has to hit the floor (or hang over the side). Last time out he used the ginger tablets but complained that they burn his throat on the way up. Won't do that again.

The weirdest cure I have ever heard and seen was to put a band aid across your belly button. My cousin does this for car and sea sickness always works.

Good luck with new ideas.

Hi guys

I've had a history of sea & car sickness since I could walk (& probably before!) Even in my 50's, I can sense that 'feeling' coming on if I sit in the rear seat of a car!

If I go out fishing on a boat, I tell the skipper I may well be providing some free burley & not to let it upset him! Sometimes I see the other folk in the boat looking more upset than me! I know that ever hour or so, I will have a quiet spew, get over it & get on with fishing! The worst thing is spewing without anything (other than bile) coming up - so make sure you have something in your tummy before you go out. Preferably something more than just a cup of tea, as this often exits the nose rather than the mouth! Ugh!

10 years ago, I used to use Scopoderm patches (used for chemo patients to quell the nausea) and they were supposed to last 3 days. They lasted 3hrs for me - but what a lot of fun I had in those 3 hrs! Don't even know if they are still available even on prescription.

My brother has done 2 Round the World races & Syd-Hobart & numerous other major boating races & he is always sick for the first 2 -3 days! Mind you, he is also 'whoopsy' for 3 days upon his return, as his brain is still telling him that he is rolling even tho he is on stable ground! Funny that!

Cheerio

Roberta

:1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1:

During the filming of " a thin red line " some camera crew having to film from flat bottomed punts in choppy water took fresh ginger chopped as if in tablet form as a preventative for greening out..Thats half a dozen big pill sized chunks..

I've tried this and it works , though i have never gotten sea sick to the point of vomiting anyway ... Was wondering about other home remedies for sea sickness..

i use to get sick to the point were i would lie on the bottom of the deck till the crew were ready to head in.

but i kept going out ( some things in life we just are unable to say no to, wetting a line is one of mine.

i tried a few tablets. NASA patches, at the end of the day i found the more i went out the better the body became use to it all.

Guest danielinbyron

I think drdonjuan is spot on , its in the ear v eyes for balance sensors and in the mind ... I only get crook if the chop is small .. If i have to actively engage in standing upright, cos we're getting tossed about , i am no longer sick.. Just don't ask me to read anything or do a bimini double... I also noticed that cleaning my sunnies was a big improvement as well. .

And that i ceased to feel queezy the moment i had a fish on or when i was steering the boat...

Only solution is to push Daz overboard...te hee..

I'll try bananas and toast for brekky next time to.

Your a brave girl Roberta, if i got that crook i wouldn't be quite as grascious about it ... But thats blokes for ya , we're all big sooks when it comes to getting sick.

ONly ever been seasick once in my life...wanted to DIE!!! Had a late night and got out bottom bashing and spewed until my stomach muscles cramped up. Never had another attack since and it has been over 7 years.

Have done a bit of research on seasickness and it is not the short sharp chop that does it but the slow rolling action. Waves in intervals of 3-5 seconds are the worst and when combined with some sideways movement will make a lot of people crook. You get these conditions typically around headlands where the waves bounce back from the shore and in some larger boats as they roll slower than smaller boats.

My children are immune but my wife constantly gets crook. Never to the point of spewing but turns green. She says it is like being pregnant ...had 2 children so she is used to it! Cheers Kelvin