Holiday Jewies (awesome 2 1/2 Weeks)

femalefisho

Hi all,

I have been very quiet on the forums - seems I have been spending more time out on the water

chasing jew - I think I have caught about 30 jew in the past 2 1/2 weeks that I have had of. Lost maybe

about 10 so I am doing well. I have fished of the beaches, landbased and with the boat.

The fish ranged from 2kg through to 8kg. Oh yeh also caught about 5 throwbacks which were around

1/2 kg - interesting how they can scoff down a 7/0 hook.

This week I have had both a frustrting time and one to remember. On Tuesday night I fished

the Northern beaches. I fished the run up and zilch apart from shovel nose sharks. I decided to

pack up at about 10.30 pm. I had 2 rods out of the water with 1 to go. And guess what - bang

the rods goes of and I caught an 8kg specimen ( see photo ).

On Wednesday night I hit the same hole on the beach - This time at about 11.30 pm I got a hit.

I was down on the water line burleying up when my line wrapped around my head. I tussled to

get it of as I thought it was seeweed (even though there wasnone) I then looked at my rod

and it was screaming. Ran up to the rod but it dropped the hooks - seemed like a biggy. Another

big one dropped to my collection ^&*^&%.

Thursday night took the boat out to GLADESVILLE bridge. One spot where I have never caught

anything. Yet again zilch. If someone can help me I would be very greatful.

Last night decided to take my boat out to Botany Bay to my ever reliable spot. Alwyas get

at least 3 solid fish there oh yeh and a lobster one noght about 1 meter long. Anyway

got there at sunset. Found the bait school and sat on top of them. Before the sun went down

I dropped 2 and landed a 3 kg specimen. The Nor Easterly made conditions very hard.

The sun went down and I got my next victim, about 4kg. Very small fish but hey still a jew.

At about 10.30 pm one of my live mullet got nailed. The reel screamed and I failed to hook

up. I was to busy eating my cheese and bacon balls in the cabin. At about 11.30pm I decided

to pack it in. I cleaned the boat and brought 2 rods in that had squid on them. I left the livies out

there. 15 minutes later I get the same type of hit. Of she goes. I grabbed the rod and I was on.

The fished peeled 150 meters of 50 pound braidand headed for the rocks and headland. I pumped

a few times and turned him. Ahh what a relief. It then took me 3 minutes to get the fish to the

boat with a few small runs on the way in. About 5 meters away from the boat I heard a croaking.

I then began to tremble as I remembered this sound when I used to catch big jew frequently.

Brouth the fish to the water and all I saw was chrome. I grabbed the gaf and hooked it. Then

I struggled to bring it in the boat. What a GEM - I was giving my self high fives. I quickly called

Alison and could not belive my eyes.

Took the fish home - jumped on the scales and it went 20kg. Not my best but it has been at least

6 years since I have nailed one this big. I have lost about 50 in those 6 years. Anyway enough

excitement - signing off.

post-1898-1168041261_thumb.jpg

post-1898-1168041283_thumb.jpg

post-1898-1168041314_thumb.jpg

post-1898-1168041443_thumb.jpg

Wow..we don't mind waiting for reports like that one.

You sure have the jew fishing down pat now.

Those are massive fish in anyone's language. Well worth the perseverance

and long nights.

Keep those great reports coming...a great read.

Cheers,

pete.

mate thats awesome,

ive been fishing for jews for the last 8 years and the fustration you get while your sitting around for that monster to come along and take your bait can really turn you off,but as soon as you land the big one, you seem to forget about all those long hours and sleepless nights, nice fish, good on ya mate

great fish way to go, this is my first post so forgive me if it sounds a bit f#$ked up.

with regards to the Gladesville bridge , i have heard that there is a hole on the western side of the bridge. As you come from say putney way towards the bridge it is on your left . If you go to the last moored boat on your left before the bridge (it has one of those yellow moring boys) you should find the hole. I have never fished it but i ave been told this is where to get jews.

Let me know if you have any luck

and by the way great site!!!!

cheers

Thanks guys,

I did one thing different to what I usually have done for 4 years at the same spot.

And that is to keep a bait in the water after what I considered was jew time. I only

got fish up to 8 kg at this spot and would get up to 5 fish. I have however fallen asleep

before with a bait in the water and it would get smashed but I would be half asleep

only to find that my line was broken.

What I figured is that BIG jew will bite after the small ones. It pays to fish live baits

after any conventional tide at this spot. I am sure now I will get more this big. Come

to think of it I used to have big pike, and calmari out all night of the rocks and get

fish this big consistently in my hey days. I dont know if this is the same for other

spots. I find in Botany Bay it is. My mate and I would get jew up to 35kg and loose

bigger ones. My PB was 21kg - I would loose bigger ones.

Gladesville Bridge - yes I know the hole - plenty of snags there - I think I have a lot

of learning to do there. I get them landbased in the Parra river ( about 200 fish a year)

but struggle on the boat. I think I got 1 once at 1 kg - out of about 20 trips.

Bloody sensational looking fish

I'm still chasing my first Jewey... :(

Which beach were you fishing on up the Northern Beaches ?

I'm from up that way and love beach fishing, especially night's during the summer.

I try most beaches. I will look for a decent hole first - I then look at the way the current is

moving - or the waves move, and I cast to the side of the hole from where the waves

are coming. The waves will wash the sand flats and dump stuf in the hole. This is where

larger fish usually cruise around waiting for an easy feed.

I was at Narrabean and Entrance beach.

As for Botany Bay spot. All I can say is get close to rockwalls. I have caught all my good

jew about 10 meters away from rock walls in shallow water. I know you get them in channels

but this has been very hit and miss for me. Major tip is - find the bait fish, get the burley

working and cast your baits there. Oh yeh also look for points where there is an eddy created.

Anchoring is also very important - do not be afraid to put your anchor rope at the back of the

boat - you must face the rock walls. There is also a number of reef structures in the Bay -

there is a U shaped one of the new runway that produces BIG jew- very hard to find though.

I try most beaches. I will look for a decent hole first - I then look at the way the current is

moving - or the waves move, and I cast to the side of the hole from where the waves

are coming. The waves will wash the sand flats and dump stuf in the hole. This is where

larger fish usually cruise around waiting for an easy feed.

I was at Narrabean and Entrance beach.

Near the mouth of the lake at Narrabeen ?

Edited by Capt Hook

Near the mouth of the lake at Narrabeen ?

Hi Nathan - sometimes I do but I usually drive up the beach and look at formations - It has

taken me a good 3 years to understand jew on beaches. I look for currents on the beach

indicated by the swell direction and holes.

Hi Female fisho, nice fish, do you have the photo of the 43kg you mentioned in the other Jew post? I would like to see it, was it caught on lure or bait? Any of the blokes names Simon by any chance? I know its a long shot but you never know and not many 43kg fish have ben caught in the past few years.

K.

Hi Female fisho, nice fish, do you have the photo of the 43kg you mentioned in the other Jew post? I would like to see it, was it caught on lure or bait? Any of the blokes names Simon by any chance? I know its a long shot but you never know and not many 43kg fish have ben caught in the past few years.

K.

I don't but the photo is still up at Beverly Hills Bait and Tackle. I wont say who caught it but

the story is indeed fantastic. From memory it was caught on 20 pound line and was caught

with a 9 inch bomber lure. It was caught in Hawkesbury area and in amonst mourings. It was

truly a legendary capture from a great guy. I had the pleasure of seeing the tail. I sat looking

at it for about half an hour amazed by the size. PS. It was also land based and I am sure he

did not have a landing gaff.

I have never caught a jew on a lure .. have tried now heaps of times for 3 years. I get heaps

on bait but I don't think I have the finnesse to catch one on a lure. A friend of mine caught

one with me but now me. I am dying to get 1 on a lure considering I get heaps on bait.