Ahhhhh - What Tha - Just A Head

femalefisho

a six year-old kid got eaten under the gladesville bride in the 1060s? (i believe it was one of the last fatal sharks attacks in sydney). My girlfriend's mum knew the kid or was related or something

On the roseville dog story -

'no swimming/sharks" signs were put up all around jubilee park (blackwattle bay, where the fish markets are in Glebe) about 20 yrs ago because some woman's dog got eaten

this stuff is pretty scary.

is it just me or is the ocean changing.

i have never heard of this many sightings as well as the wind being so strong.

maybe i havent fished enough in my life but does all this seem normal.

frankp

Damn, that has sent chills down my spine. It sounds like one of those things that you hear about but don't have any credibility, because someone heard it from someone who knew someone ....

But coming from the horses mouth is different !!!!

Were there any huge splashes or did you you see any fin? Amazing that they do not get scared by all the boat traffic ... I guess with all the people cleaning their fish and throwing it in the water ....

Damn, I recall diving around the Tunks Park pontoon, looking for a dropped down rigger !!!! Glad I did not read these stories before then!!!! Think twice about taking a dunk next time !!!

mate all i can remember (i was about 6 or 7 at the time) was fishing with my old man at the corner opposite the beach where the people and dogs were having a swim. I remember having a good laugh with my dad at the fact the the dog could swim so far out and come back and do it again.. I didn't actualy see the shark itself or any fins, just saw the owner screaming and when i looked up i saw the water all bloody.

Any idea what kind of shark would do that ? bullshark maybe?

This is nothing new. Nor restricted to the Harbour or Parra river. My Dad used to fish the Georges quite regularly around the Milperra area & several times saw greyhounds being swum opposite the airport (known as Kentucky) taken by sharks. This is a long time ago though but he did see it first hand.

This is nothing new. Nor restricted to the Harbour or Parra river. My Dad used to fish the Georges quite regularly around the Milperra area & several times saw greyhounds being swum opposite the airport (known as Kentucky) taken by sharks. This is a long time ago though but he did see it first hand.

Yep I remember growing up as youngster around there and hearing things about sharks around the boat ramp at 'Kentucky' - near the boat ramp there. There were also numerous accounts and local paper clippings on sharks going as far up as Liverpool Weir !!!!

I understand that Bull sharks are resilient and actually like the dirty water, so where ever there is access and food, you will find them.

As a previous post said, the chances of getting taken by one are very little, but there is a chance !!! You can also reduce your chances by not exposing yourself during certain times of the year (like now) and swimming in certain areas.

Yep I remember growing up as youngster around there and hearing things about sharks around the boat ramp at 'Kentucky' - near the boat ramp there. There were also numerous accounts and local paper clippings on sharks going as far up as Liverpool Weir !!!!

I understand that Bull sharks are resilient and actually like the dirty water, so where ever there is access and food, you will find them.

As a previous post said, the chances of getting taken by one are very little, but there is a chance !!! You can also reduce your chances by not exposing yourself during certain times of the year (like now) and swimming in certain areas.

Please define "exposing yourself" :1prop:

Please define "exposing yourself" :1prop:

:Funny-Post: I don't mean the Lady Jane type of exposure. Any time you swim outside protective nets or baths, you are exposing yourself to potential shark attacks. You, me, speak same language now?? :thumbup:

And as far as I know sharks are strictly carnivores, no nuts :biggrin2:

Edited by 445F

when i used to row at school back in 2003 up that way we had a skull (one of those single boats for rowing) attacked by a small bull shark up parra river. They found a tooth left in the boat where it attacked and it is now framed and up on the wall at the joeys boat shed in tarban creek! We also had reports of another boat from shore being attacked up the same river and on top of this we had another sighting of a shark whilst rowing up the same river, about 3ft. I rekon all the chemicals spilt up there has made them all crazy!!

Sharks are relatively common here. In Australia, statistics show that you are always within 500 metres of a shark. The beach I swim at (Freshwater), has a local shark fisherman who pulls in some pretty big ones of the beach in the gutters. The flags are generally put in front of sandbars with gutters in front. Honestly, unless a shark is really, really, really hungry he isn't gonna eat you. And think about it, with no commercial fishing, its not like recreational anglers are taking tons of fish. So a shark has plenty of food.

Bull sharks generally go to the gladesville bridge are in search of the masses of fish that congeregate around this structure. Remember, sharks do not naturally eat humans. I see people tubing all the time up in the Harbour. ANd they have not been killed!

Henners

Sharks are relatively common here. In Australia, statistics show that you are always within 500 metres of a shark. The beach I swim at (Freshwater), has a local shark fisherman who pulls in some pretty big ones of the beach in the gutters. The flags are generally put in front of sandbars with gutters in front. Honestly, unless a shark is really, really, really hungry he isn't gonna eat you. And think about it, with no commercial fishing, its not like recreational anglers are taking tons of fish. So a shark has plenty of food.

Bull sharks generally go to the gladesville bridge are in search of the masses of fish that congeregate around this structure. Remember, sharks do not naturally eat humans. I see people tubing all the time up in the Harbour. ANd they have not been killed!

Henners

yet!

i do a bit of under water diving arround sydney harbour and have only ever seen 1 port jackson on the move not big around 4 foot he swam up to my mate took a look at him and swam away and he didnt even know while i was well aware watching 15 feet away under the water when i told him wat had happened he nearly died, every time i take to the water i know of the risks and hold no shark accountable as im in their domain, it would be different if they come onto the land and attacked us, i dont worry about sharks you have more chance dying in a car accident than getting killed by a shark......PS i never snorkel in murky water.....hehehehehe just in case....Tight lines all

Regards Craig

yet!

:074: Still, u see my point. The only things that kill humans for the sake of it are crocs.

My friend went surfing and had a 1.5 metre tiger cruise past, it didn't take a second glance at him. It didn't care. :wacko:

When I was diving a half a metre shark cruised past. You are more likely to die from a cocunut to the head than a shark attack. :074::074::074: