Ahhhhh - What Tha - Just A Head

femalefisho

Hi All,

Went for a quick 1 hour bash with the young one at Gladesville on Saturday (late report)

I had some fresh squid in the fridge so I grabbed a rod and a squid and of we went land based.

We got there at 6.00 pm. I got my sons rod in the water for some bream so I can occupy him.

I then threw out a squid head and waited.

10 minutes later a jew hit. It felt weird though. Gave me a small run followed by a screaming

run towards the Gladesville bridge. It then went on a 100 meter FAST run and a line burn on

my index finger. I thought hmmm - BIG jew or shark. Anyway I started to pump to slow the

fish down. It stopped and then I was bringing it in but it felt weird ad light. I was confused.

About 20 meters away from me on the surface I saw what I thought was a crab. Hmmm - very

confused. As it got closer I noticed it was a Jewies HEAD :( .

I brought it up and that was it. JUST a head. The jew would have been about 5-6 kg in size but

it was no good to me now. An old man Terry took a pic on his digital camera and then walked

over to the water line.

THEN he saw it - right in front of us in 1 meter of water. A 2.5 meter Bull shark which was about

70 cm thick and I'd call it for 150 - 200 kg. I ran and had a look whilst controlling the young guy so

he would not get close and fall in.

The shark was about 2 meters away from us - ahhhhhh.

It dissappeared then 5 minutes later came back again. I then decided to grab 2 x 10'os and 80 pound

hand line that was in my bag. I rigged the Jew head on and threw it in - left it in for half an hour

but the shark did not take it.

MORAL of the story - Don't swim in Sydney Harbour at the moment - :wacko:

Tight lines ALL - looking forward to King comp!

Thanks for the report femalefisho, it's amazing how hard those Jew heads fight :074: Could have kept it for fish head soup :074:

On a serious note .... shame about the lost Jew !!! It would have been weird at the time, not knowing what was going on ...

That is a good sized Bully, he could do some damage. Note to all swimmers and dog owners !!!

I was at Clontarf last weekend, just on the beach catching some sun, and was thinking that the drop off on the beach was looking pretty sharky !!!! I would not swim there .... Anyone sighted a shark at Clontarf ???

Edited by 445F

Guest danielinbyron
I then decided to grab 2 x 10'os and 80 pound

hand line that was in my bag. I rigged the Jew head on and threw it in - left it in for half an hour

but the shark did not take it.

WOW :1yikes: THATS THE SPIRIT.. would have been a work out if he did take it.

sharks seem to love a jew fish or a struggling king fish..And those bull sharks don't mess around ..

least he left the jewels :(

So it was You Jim ??

My father in law was down there that night and told me the whole story.

We get heaps of Jewies from around there from both boat and land. From that spot there is a hole that drops from 9m to about 13m a few hundred metres on the left and about 40 metres from the shore where we get quite a few of them on the boat.

I've come across the sharks there a few times. Once while I was pulling the anchor up one hit the surface a metre away. Scared the crap out of me.

Time to pull the tiagra out.

Edited by pekingduck

Thanks for the report femalefisho, it's amazing how hard those Jew heads fight :074: Could have kept it for fish head soup :074:

On a serious note .... shame about the lost Jew !!! It would have been weird at the time, not knowing what was going on ...

That is a good sized Bully, he could do some damage. Note to all swimmers and dog owners !!!

I was at Clontarf last weekend, just on the beach catching some sun, and was thinking that the drop off on the beach was looking pretty sharky !!!! I would not swim there .... Anyone sighted a shark at Clontarf ???

A fisherman out on justin duggans tour cought a small hammer head on fly around that area

Great report

And I thought only WA have sharks stealing your catch..... Not in SYD harbour..... :1yikes:

Last time out Sambo jigging, I was told by the skipper that the day before they had a 18foot mako stealing Sambo's right next to the boat. :1yikes:

Must have been a sight seeing that 2M+ bull shark come so close to the shore,

shame about the lost Jew !!!

Cheers

Dave

Wow thats amazing :1yikes:

Shame about losing that Jew,if only

that Bull shark had taken that Jewy head,u

would have had an even more amazing report,

hard to top that.

penguin

Edited by penguin

Great story.......wouldnt have thought a big shark would wander that far up the river....goes to show that anything can heppen.

Shame about the lost jew........damn shark

mate, a bull shark attacked someone at parramatta a few years back

i saw small shark at clontarf last summer. only about a metre

Bummer about the Jew.

Did you at least get your bait back :074:

We have a boat moored just past the Iron cove bridge at Rodd point. For two years now divers have refused to clean the hull on the mooring because of sharks. I thought they were takin the mick and just wanted me to take the boat to them, but after talking to the divers and not the office I realised that they were deadly serious.

Cheers.

Robbie.

about 2 years ago i caught a 4 foot shark off grotto point in 8m of water

its mouth open was about 10-12cm diameter , enough to take a chunk out of your leg

i too would not swim anywere from balmoral, contarf or middle harbour

and that was the year when they guy got attacked on his canoe or kyack at cabarita

we used to take the boat and biscuit out in parra river but not any more

cheers

craig

Bummer about the Jew.

Did you at least get your bait back :074:

We have a boat moored just past the Iron cove bridge at Rodd point. For two years now divers have refused to clean the hull on the mooring because of sharks. I thought they were takin the mick and just wanted me to take the boat to them, but after talking to the divers and not the office I realised that they were deadly serious.

Cheers.

Robbie.

Thats quite strange

Hey

We had have had 2-3 small sharks, surface near contarf just in the last month. Mind you, all were small approx 3-5ft.

My brother Greg pretty much refuses to swim in the harb in any water deeper than 3ft, me I dont care but take pre-cautions. Ive seenen many, many good size 6-8ft sharks in sydney harbour over the years, but if you take care an cross ur fingers,,,, mmmaaybe u wont be that fatal statistic!

Dan

Thats normal this time of year, i have fished that wharf alot over the last decade, and its always around January that the sharks are up that part of the river. We got one a year ago about 50kg, lost a bigger one about 150kg after the trace broke the following night, they so ugly and fight ok. There is a deep hole just a bit further up from there where they sit at the bottom. Our secret shark hole. It is very common for them to be up there every single year, as we have encountered them yearly! The jews up that part are mostly in the 3-5kg range, with the occasional bigger one of around 15-20kg later on in the season. The run out tide is the best for the fish. Throw out a dead tailor and you should get into them. Good fun but thats baout it.

K.

Thats normal this time of year, i have fished that wharf alot over the last decade, and its always around January that the sharks are up that part of the river. We got one a year ago about 50kg, lost a bigger one about 150kg after the trace broke the following night, they so ugly and fight ok. There is a deep hole just a bit further up from there where they sit at the bottom. Our secret shark hole. It is very common for them to be up there every single year, as we have encountered them yearly! The jews up that part are mostly in the 3-5kg range, with the occasional bigger one of around 15-20kg later on in the season. The run out tide is the best for the fish. Throw out a dead tailor and you should get into them. Good fun but thats baout it.

K.

:074::074::074::074::074:

i too would not tube or swim in sydney harbour..

about 10 years ago i witnessed a dog swimming opposite the roseville bridge ramp (the long sandy part..)

the owner was playing fetch with the little jack russle, it didn't come back after a long throw :1prop:

it looks just like the movies and i could see the huge blood stain in the water from where i was standing (60metres away) and man i have never seen kids swim so fast out of the water

about 10 years ago i witnessed a dog swimming opposite the roseville bridge ramp (the long sandy part..)

the owner was playing fetch with the little jack russle, it didn't come back after a long throw :1prop:

it looks just like the movies and i could see the huge blood stain in the water from where i was standing (60metres away) and man i have never seen kids swim so fast out of the water

Sounds like something out of [JAWS]The movie :1yikes:

Damn, that has sent chills down my spine. It sounds like one of those things that you hear about but don't have any credibility, because someone heard it from someone who knew someone ....

But coming from the horses mouth is different !!!!

Were there any huge splashes or did you you see any fin? Amazing that they do not get scared by all the boat traffic ... I guess with all the people cleaning their fish and throwing it in the water ....

Damn, I recall diving around the Tunks Park pontoon, looking for a dropped down rigger !!!! Glad I did not read these stories before then!!!! Think twice about taking a dunk next time !!!

Hi guys

The dog story is not an urban myth, it also goes way back past the incident 10 years ago! I remember reading of it happening at Roseville bridge as far back as 35-40 years ago! Also recall of incidents up around the back of Castle Cove/Castlecrag way - a woman was killed in Sugarloaf Bay, Middle Harbour in '63. She was only in like thigh deep water! And it was on Australia Day - this time of year!!! SO WATCH OUT!

See: http://members.lycos.co.uk/wolfman89

However, to put this all in perspective, the last fatal shark attack in Sydney Harbour was in 1963, (an actress named Marcia Hathaway.) But the Aussie government likes to note that while in New South Wales (which includes Sydney) there was just one shark fatality from 1968-91, but 121 rock fishermen were swept off the rocks and drowned and 37 surfboard riders drowned (I guess you could add quite a few more to the rock fishing tally since '91!). Being realistic, we are more likely to be hit on the head falling from the rocks whilst fishing than being savaged in the deep! No point putting yourself in a dangerous situation, tho, if you don't have to!

Up in the NT I heard a myth that the aborigines would throw a dog into the river before entering the water themselves ..... makes sense to me!

Cheerio

Roberta

PS plenty of sharks up here just now - the police were chasing people out of the water under the bridge (the big sand island) just yesterday because of all the hammerheads in the lake, some to 2m. Large sharks were also sighted cruising off One Mile & Nine Mile Beaches & just last week a guy had a large chunk of his surf board bitten at Sand Bar (about 20min south of here!) He was really lucky he didn't get bitten. He was launched into the air by the force of the attack!

Edited by Roberta