Lb Kingie Rig

stricko4

Guys,

With all the talk of LB Kingie action in the harbour I was wondering what set up will give me the best chance of hooking one? Should I be using a paternoster rig or suspending baits under a float or just throwing out unweighted baits? Or even throwing out SP's?? Any advice on this would be welcome as I'd love to hook my first Kingie sometime soon.

Guys,

With all the talk of LB Kingie action in the harbour I was wondering what set up will give me the best chance of hooking one? Should I be using a paternoster rig or suspending baits under a float or just throwing out unweighted baits? Or even throwing out SP's?? Any advice on this would be welcome as I'd love to hook my first Kingie sometime soon.

What I use on my 4lb fireline is tie a bimini and do an improved albright on the 10lb fluorocarbon and simply tie a hook and cast an unweighted bait . I find you'll have better hookup rate when your using light leaders, but if they're not fussy then go ahead and up the leader to improve your landing rate

Mate it matters where you will be fishing from, if your going rock fishing the above outfit will definately not do, FOr large hoodlums you will need 100lb+ trace and i would put a live bait under a balloon.

For places like clifton gardens i would still be using 15kg main with atleast a 50lb leader, If you were to use 4lb main line and 10lb leader you would get busted off each time the king ran in amonst the pylons.

Swordie has done a lot of LB King Fishing so im sure he can add to this thread

4lb line will get you the bait for the kings, but landing them landbased you wont get far. I have landed rats from a boat on 4kg, but there was no structure around to drill me on. Off somewhere like Clifton , I would be using 10kg main line minimum,with twisted leader topshot, or single leader up to 60lb....BUt would prefer 15kg main line to be able to stop them running into the pylons like Netic said. And if going for larger kings with larger live baits, you will need a different rig again. Depends on how big the kingies are that hang around there. You can get away with lighter gear on 60 cm jobs but once they get much bigger start upsizing your lines. You can float your yakka out under a torpedo float - that is of course if you can get him to swim out instead of under the wharf. Else, squid strips cast out should work around there too under a float.

Mate it matters where you will be fishing from, if your going rock fishing the above outfit will definately not do, FOr large hoodlums you will need 100lb+ trace and i would put a live bait under a balloon.

For places like clifton gardens i would still be using 15kg main with atleast a 50lb leader, If you were to use 4lb main line and 10lb leader you would get busted off each time the king ran in amonst the pylons.

Swordie has done a lot of LB King Fishing so im sure he can add to this thread

I don't think the kings at clifton will sniff at the bait if your using 50lb leader.

And squidgie,

I've landed a few from the wharf with my 4lb fireline and more from the boat.

Edited by bmar560

Off a boat no probs, but still reckon that when one comes along larger than the 50 to mid 60cm rats, the odds are in its favour with such light line. Off the rocks where I fish, going that light is not an option. For clifton, maybe you can get away with it....not as many underwater obstacles other than pylons and the moored cans.

so to answer you kingys.

It really depends where you fishing, out on a boat, wharf, rocks ?

Different rigs for different situations mate.

You mentioned throwing out SPs, If you're going to cast all day long than a light rod/rig is the way to go as you'll get exhausted easily if you're using a heavy gear. Lighter line class will also give you further distance as the line diameter is smaller thus giving you less friction.

Squidgie, I guess heavy leader is the way to go on the rocks, you'll probably have to rub some line against the rocks when landing the fish. Clifton kingies are often very fussy, and lighter leader will give you better hookup rates, but then again there are days when they'll just hit anything offered.

Guest danielinbyron

4lb line for kingies ..... are they sick..?

i can't imagine even landing the smallest rat on less then 12 here .. but it is a putt putt corse of swell , reefs. rocks and conge voit where i fish .and if that don't get em theres sharks ..te hee

still thats impressive ..

I'm with bmar560 on this one. If you you going to fish in the harbour, especially clifton, the slightly lighter option is better. Sure you get some bigger (75cm+) swimming through at times but the majority hooked tend to go from slightly undersized up to 70cm.

If you want to be sure of landing the fish without it going under then you have one of few choices:

1. Use a longer rod to help steer it clear (with this comes the option of using a lighter line class)

2. Use a heavier leader (but risk not getting hits when they finicky)

3. Combination of the two plus knowing how to fish your get to the line (including full lock up on the drag when required)

On the rare days that kings are feeding on anything which comes down their way you will get away with the heavier gear. 90% of the time I'm there the kings are deep (3/4 down), refuse livies, a feed off the smaller items in your berley trail i.e. a full pilchard will be ignored in preference to a strip bait, peeled prawn, half pilchard etc. It's one these occasions that a lighter rig will get you the hits. After that is up to your skill plus a bit of luck (if the first run is away from the wharf your laughing).

On quiet days when finesse is required I use a 5.3m slow tapered rod, 10 lb main and 6-10lb fc leader fishing unweighted peeled prawns (or any small bait) or under a small bobby float (again no lead). Berley is essential. This way if the kings aren't about, you will at least get some skonker trevally, bream and the old tailor.

when the kings are on the surfce and actively feeding, I am using 20lb braid and 20-40lb fc leader on a shorter rod (8-9ft). Again completely unweighted.

I truly beleive most people who are trying to target kings in the harboure miss out because of the lack of finesse used in their setup. Off the stones is a different story and I agree one needs to upsize a little.

good luck.

Guys,

Thnks for all the advice. I was looking at places like Clifton Gardens or other wharfs around the harbour including down around the bridge or Greenwich. I'm not too keen on rocks. I have a 7" 10kg rod witha 4500 baitcaster & 15kg braid that I was thinking of using this but was unsure of exactly what rigs to use. Sounds like a float or balloon is the way to go from the few comments about rigs. I also have a 12' beach rod with similar set up that would allow me to cast further. Any advice on which would suit my requirements best?

Kingys

From the wharf, no need to worry about casting, the fish are under your rod tip. The longer rod helps in the fight if the fish decide to try to go under your feet (which they will), this is your biggest risk of losing the fish in the fight.

I have to say I agree with Hiramasa on the line issue, the fish are very picky at CG and it can be very frustrating watching them turn their nose up at bait presented on a heavier leader. As I said, the main issue is stopping the fish going under the wharf, so make sure you have got the drag set properly before you start.

I just use an unweighted bait, and let it sink naturally (you might need to use a pea sinker if there is a bit of wind up and its very crowded).