Thats No Flattie

wildfish

hey!

went to port hacking this morning, on the water about 5.

planed to chase some flatties with plastics. caught plenty when i was a kid n had no idea, but cant get one at all now.

just driftin down the channel (thanks davemmm probably just timing out)with i think texas rigged plastic(sinker,swivel, meter leader & worm hook) givin a little jig now and then.

got no flatties but i did get my 1st soft plastic catch with 2 unfortunatly estury cod!(red rock cod)

and i had the tails and sides munched of about 20 plastics. :(

are estury cod (red rock cod) usual by catch for flatties?

whats eating my plastics?(under sized fish, or just pickers)

luke

post-3094-1169956008_thumb.jpg

Edited by wildfish

Me thinks they are Red Rock Cod rather than estuary.

Red Rock

scarddh.jpg

Estuary Cod.

ecoioidjuv.jpg

Still fun using soft plastics and better than being home painting :1badmood:

Good eating the Red Rock Cod.

B.F.

P.S. You beat me by seconds Kingsrule :biggrin2:

Edited by Blackfish

Guest IFishSick.

It could be the cod chomping on your plastics but I would be thinking Toadfish, they get mine every time I use them! :wife:

Better luck next time mate

RED ROCK COD recipie:

1.) Boil fish in a large pot with a brick until the brick becomes soft.

2.) Throw away rock cod and eat brick!!!!!

Nah just kidding, they do cook up well.

You forgot to add salt

whats eating my plastics?(under sized fish, or just pickers)

luke

I dont really know the area you are talking about but Id say toad fish, or if they are around in that area, squid. They love plastics and have chomped heaps of my squidgy fish tails off. Sometimes you can see little 'V' shaped chunks taken out of your plastics which tells you they are squid.

Dont rule out tailor if they are in your area. Using SP's at the Entrance I was loosing my tails to tailor every second cast lol. However, if there are toadfish around, they are pesty bastards.

Gl with it all, and the cod are great for soups. At least your not going home fishless!! hehe

Both SGT Baker and Cod in my own opinion are THE WORST FISH ON THIS EARTH!!! :1badmood:

Dont you just hate it when u get a good bit that turns into nice weight, only to bring up a rock cod with its bucket mouth wide open filling up with water, or a bloody SGT Baker stealing your flathead baits. :mad3:

Rock cod spikes are the most painful I have encountered. We usually get them on the gravel and reef areas off Sydney. Our recipe is to boil them in water with half a potato, leave them in the fridge overnight and you have poor man's lobster - really!

ok someone could have told me they were good eatin before i threw em back :074:

no actually thought they might have been estury cod so they went straight back.

thanks for all the coments and advice raiders :thumbup:

i will try chromies but i know theres a lot of toads i many areas of hacking, must be fair size.

oh well i keep tryin for me flattie, and ive dusted off a couple of bricks from the yard for next week! :074:

Mate at this time of year it could be anything in the main channel of port hacking chomping the tails, try putting a squid jig next to it, if its squid you'll find out quick smart :)

Try fishing for flatties with s.p up around yowie bay, deep water and some big fish live in that water.

I also have a little rule with ooglies, if you can stomach filletting or steaming it, it'll usually taste excellent!

Anyway good luck with port hacking i love that water and it hold some surprisingly big fish at times.

thanks yeeros,

ill give it a try next, (out in front of wedding cake house? or thurter up where it drops off into deep water?)

and im not necisarally after the big ones just tryin to learn how to fish, any flatties would do! :(